New to knives, on a $50 budget, looking for a good, strong EDC?

Hi! ^_^

I'm looking for a good, strong EDC, and I'm debating over the Kershaw Leek (Dayum that
Orange Aluminum handle tho ;D) and the Volt SS. I really prefer the Leek, but it looks like the blade is super delicate and needle sharp (Nothing wrong with that, I guess ;]). The Volt also has that really great 410 stainless steel handle that is quite enticing. I'm also on a budget of about $50, haha. I'm a hiker and an all around outdoors-y gal, and I'm looking for strong, and preferably heavier (I don't know why I like 'em heavy, I just do), a good EDC that will get a difficult job done and that will last. Opinions/Different knife entirely suggestions/Suggestions welcome! :]

Thank you guys! ^_~

~ Sparkly Galaxy

Check out the reviews on YouTube for the Spyderco Efficient. Stout knife, feels good in hand and beautifully built for around $45 delivered (if you shop around or have Prime free delivery). Latest in Spyderco's value line, but they really hit it out of the park on this one. Good-luck in your search. :thumbsup:

Kershaw makes a lot of nice knives in this category. Cryo II is a nice hinderer style knife and is one of my favorite Kershaw models. I own the Volt and it is a nice model also but I preferred the Cryo II YMMV. The Link is also a decent model. I carried that one at camp for a while and it performed well. So many to choose from can be tough.

Thank you so much Woodsmanoh! :]

Okay, currently googling the Cryo II YMMV and the Link! ^_^ Tough question though; if you had to choose based on strength, durability and weight, which of those two would you go with Woodsman? And what do you think of the Leek? Too light and delicate, maybe?

~ Sparkly

Hi! ^_^

I'm looking for a good, strong EDC, and I'm debating over the Kershaw Leek (Dayum that
Orange Aluminum handle tho ;D) and the Volt SS. I really prefer the Leek, but it looks like the blade is super delicate and needle sharp (Nothing wrong with that, I guess ;]). The Volt also has that really great 410 stainless steel handle that is quite enticing. I'm also on a budget of about $50, haha. I'm a hiker and an all around outdoors-y gal, and I'm looking for strong, and preferably heavier (I don't know why I like 'em heavy, I just do), a good EDC that will get a difficult job done and that will last. Opinions/Different knife entirely suggestions/Suggestions welcome! :]

Thank you guys! ^_~

~ Sparkly Galaxy

You don't need a stainless steel handle. It adds weight... and that's about it.

You can get a Kershaw Link for under $50 with either an FRN or Aluminum handle. It's made in the USA, has a decent steel and won't balk at real work.

Kershaw-Link-DP-Blue-Aluminum-1776NBBW-BHQ-52152-jr-2.jpg

For a tough, affordable outdoor hiking folder the Cold Steel Finn Wolf would be near the top of my list. Maybe not as physically heavy as you prefer, but it's more than strong enough to make up for it and the Scandi grind will make it easy to sharpen in the field and perfect for wood working and fire prep.

Another option would be the Real Steel Snow Leopard. Definitely a hefty, strong folder designed for outdoor use with a good steel and comfortable handle.

I would actually not go for the Leek as it's a nice knife, but thin metal handles can get very uncomfortable very quickly when cutting into wood or other tough media. Great EDC blade for office or warehouse, but not my choice for a hiking folder.

Thank you so much Woodsmanoh! :]

Okay, currently googling the Cryo II YMMV and the Link! ^_^ Tough question though; if you had to choose based on strength, durability and weight, which of those two would you go with Woodsman? And what do you think of the Leek? Too light and delicate, maybe?

~ Sparkly
The leek is a nice EDC knife for general carry and will meet the needs of a majority of what people carry pocket knives for around the home, office and around town. The Cryo II and the link are going to be tougher in my opinion and of the three I would choose the Cryo II. But Also take a look at the Ontario Rat 1. That is also a pretty tough knife for a reasonable price. Available in D2 Steel or AUS 8. Good function for the value.

Okay I'm kind of taking this little note from my other thread because you guys have been SO helpful; thank you all so much there have been so many wondrous comments on here! ^_^ I am trying to get to all of these one at a time but there are many many amazingly educated knife experts on here willing to help. <3

In any case I have read all of these; thank you SO much and I feel so loved geez this blade forum thing is pretty damn neat! ^_^

You all are cool,

~ Sparkly

You can get a spyderco delica for less than 50 bucks on sale. had them for 32 like a few weeks back. This is very rare, but it happens. This would be a wonderful knife to pick up in your price range. Also check the secondary market. Lockback is super strong

Last edited by a moderator:
Look around to see if you can find any of these old Cold Steel models with AUS8A steel: Voyager, Recon 1, Talwar, Lawman, AK47, and Code 4.

Most models I would really want to suggest are most often sold in the $50+ range but plenty to be had at less than $100. To give my best recommendations would need to know more about what your looking for in one.

I have CHOSEN. :)

Both my boyfriend Jake and I both chose EDCs for $35 and we seem to like Kershaw... :)
291yl37.jpg

What do you guys think? ^_^

~ Sparkly

I say no. I would rather buy a new Ontario Rat 1 or II with D2 steel and CF scales, or a well used Spyderco Manix 2 lightweight with CTS-BD1 steel and FRCP scales (again if you do not want the Cold Steels that I suggested above).

If you prefer some weight and don't mind a more traditional knife, you can always get a Buck 110 for less than $50 (from BHQ or other forum suppliers) and it includes a belt sheath. And let me tell you, that puppy has some weight to it. And it's a classic knife that everyone should own anyway, has a very sturdy lock and is as tough as nails.

In the bang-for-the-buck (no pun intended) category, it's hard to beat the Buck 110.

Edit: Ooops, I just saw that you have already chosen. Congrats.

IMO the Kershaw CQC 6K is probably the best value in a production knife you can find. I have one and sometimes forget it's a $30 knife.

The Cryo II while stronger in appearances is a little on the heavy side ( for it's size). I carry my CQC 6 over the Cryo all the time and gave away my cryo 1.
I think you'd be better off getting two of the CQC 6's.

Several good knives already mentioned, all will work well. The Buck 110 would be my recommendations. I have a contractor friend who carries one and he beats it to death. I EDC a Spyderco Gayle Bradley but that is out of your price range.

Last edited:
Back