New to me 4.7!

It is threads like these that really make me hope that this company can get back on track and take care of business, their knives just seem fantastic. I was even perusing the Bushcraft Knife (GSO 4.5?) thread and am thinking, I would really like to have that knife in hand. Conceptually, it just looks amazing, as do any of their knives I have seen.

Here's to hoping they square themselves and their current supporters away (holding aloft a virtual pint glass), this prospective buyer would really like to give them money. I may have to just cave and be on the lookout for something via the secondary market.

Secondary market is an excellent way to go right now :thumbsup: And i type that without having any S!K knives up for sale (or that i would be willing to sell at this time). The GSO 4.5 is unlikely to be finished out for quite some time, similar to the next batch of 5.1s - they are just so far back in the production line-up. That doesn't mean they won't arrive eventually, but it may be awhile.

Here is a CruV 4.7 and an old SK4 up against a Gerber Strongarm and BK16 (let me know if the pic doesn't show, please)

Mg6-S2FJ7j3Pt6K3trqGRM9ruhEt6tLK-dx9jKHnsnpTTyfCdxN6TMUg6e2oNoT67Djgpd4bnsY3gjDqOAbXHaIwMY2DaNUBoEWX887TS-l9NzcSc1CFoyaVTd-Il1hcU5CqpGtBJnEAGVoS2hMOpJajqW4mCfHB-xZo0CQCIzjcIe3qDfmLzau05FCoE6WQvAlXNsPwvjgphaWEf7bvgKbdFaGDZamPO1DqOV_sBZTZAJtv6cnT917fhSIN8ijTgyKRuHotdJ5vOg-_6o1dfkEBtcxGJBmppfiUZveb-I67iNLmYLBq3sdCZ_QXP3jNGEHM_nXW5eMKwi3iDmjfucpnqeGqCZWzkwvIopp54mYRkeI-vUalGRCzAnzgSZjLUaIFZo16BKjA5xmxXnVjAtfaWGgCev2pqXDtDXxEJWvkG-JI2qvoZBrD-Waagyf1II0-RDRWU3ADKy-oJMM39j-IoVdhLl6tHLdrA-a6QAjtvaY0UK9n9GA-sD1QSHwnc-0vYAB1vQLA4ibzCgf3M2KQBd9dcaQKMsYaTvKfECKyYwaBIKPH8AaHCYLWSZKroI21ufRTCWAUU8qKaAdHIM3-dGwPwQ19LAYwYgxtgg=w1564-h1173-no

Secondary market is an excellent way to go right now :thumbsup: And i type that without having any S!K knives up for sale (or that i would be willing to sell at this time). The GSO 4.5 is unlikely to be finished out for quite some time, similar to the next batch of 5.1s - they are just so far back in the production line-up. That doesn't mean they won't arrive eventually, but it may be awhile.

Here is a CruV 4.7 and an old SK4 up against a Gerber Strongarm and BK16 (let me know if the pic doesn't show, please)

Mg6-S2FJ7j3Pt6K3trqGRM9ruhEt6tLK-dx9jKHnsnpTTyfCdxN6TMUg6e2oNoT67Djgpd4bnsY3gjDqOAbXHaIwMY2DaNUBoEWX887TS-l9NzcSc1CFoyaVTd-Il1hcU5CqpGtBJnEAGVoS2hMOpJajqW4mCfHB-xZo0CQCIzjcIe3qDfmLzau05FCoE6WQvAlXNsPwvjgphaWEf7bvgKbdFaGDZamPO1DqOV_sBZTZAJtv6cnT917fhSIN8ijTgyKRuHotdJ5vOg-_6o1dfkEBtcxGJBmppfiUZveb-I67iNLmYLBq3sdCZ_QXP3jNGEHM_nXW5eMKwi3iDmjfucpnqeGqCZWzkwvIopp54mYRkeI-vUalGRCzAnzgSZjLUaIFZo16BKjA5xmxXnVjAtfaWGgCev2pqXDtDXxEJWvkG-JI2qvoZBrD-Waagyf1II0-RDRWU3ADKy-oJMM39j-IoVdhLl6tHLdrA-a6QAjtvaY0UK9n9GA-sD1QSHwnc-0vYAB1vQLA4ibzCgf3M2KQBd9dcaQKMsYaTvKfECKyYwaBIKPH8AaHCYLWSZKroI21ufRTCWAUU8qKaAdHIM3-dGwPwQ19LAYwYgxtgg=w1564-h1173-no

Picture came out great, thank you for the visual reference. I am quite familiar with the BK16 so the picture is very helpful. Both the 4.7 and SK4 look like fine knives, but I sure do like the taller blade on the 4.7.

You guys surely do have the patience of saints though. But everything points to a product that seems very much worth it.

Pàdruig Pàdruig If i knew you better, I'd be willing to lend it to you for trying out :thumbsup: However there is a lot of unnecessary tension on the subforum just now, so I am inclined to be more reserved with my S!Ks ;)

The 4.7 is an excellent blade, though a bit more heavy-duty than most would probably need for "bushcraft", but it is intended to be that way. The new 4.1 is very similar but lighter and more nimble (or so I have read here on the forum, my own orders are still outstanding on that model) and the 4LE has the handle of that SK4 in the picture but a much thinner grind, I am very much looking forward to receiving mine to try :cool:

The BK16 has become something of a benchmark for me as it is quite well designed and has an edge-geometry comparable to S!K which is better than most production knives - that Becker is an excellent knife, esp. for the price :thumbsup:

JKN_sZXrlG4-Rka3KzCZFu6lPwHYAegkh0T3VK2jyud_pa809yxL2xGFU8ua6uDKSUqU1OoxxrJS_m-YVxN6wDUBL5iHrOGEhe7N7W1MyVAxzOpDB560s-8Uzjn8Eo2vMG2Nas0rxxmHkGChxHB4cihsGg0VR6zYyWat-ZvugafsGBafseARuCKqj252uwd1L-aTgP6u4YglOpSWd6d76nxoQo3jU3VAADM9_r5dxFtSw9n6Mmb0aStn_WtciF-xG5W3o5k7ZO0ogc5WBOYTmc5fUlRHEoRWAqPyLrRZ_D3-1x3EF3-dqWi6qysLG31qEKmVzT-SQdHlIQNukwRtM04swcswv7fiZQRVOoCpEH5p3fcT8mT8C5yjhtXZhiraIkUrevpR6h8jbzMdO6-456-iwsoUWHxGZzXthla1HMCqKU35OAEEY3EuX7bDafVjOWv-VEmvOd9kSWC4mFGhKOwq6RB0nhwRNq6fbJ0NT351gwlqcUoWhkfKw78CLnkNPLkPwebyt_Vq4T_f3EQvP6smcW-qbKa1g0-8M_ZiGaDASr6bLse0qo5ai5P13p8-2Ubf5L86r80JKvetZgV57ni88ZaieJNJUxxJNvpMjw=w927-h980-no

Nice graphic, Chiral :thumbsup:

The bk16 is SO good. I like everything about it, but I think a saber grind would make my full flat grind sexier, even if minutely less functional. I'll forever respect Ethan Becker's design choices. Chiral, when you get your new 4.1 is be very, very interested to hear your thoughts on how the handles compare.

Like I said before, the 4.7 and 4.1 would do anything I need that the other could, but the 4.7 handle fits my hand slightly better.

Yes, great graphic!
And, yes, I'm sure quite a few are eager to hear your thoughts on the 4.1 vs 4.7.
So far, both Silver and Hard Knocks have expressed a preference for the fuller-handled 4.7

Pàdruig Pàdruig If i knew you better, I'd be willing to lend it to you for trying out :thumbsup: However there is a lot of unnecessary tension on the subforum just now, so I am inclined to be more reserved with my S!Ks ;)

The 4.7 is an excellent blade, though a bit more heavy-duty than most would probably need for "bushcraft", but it is intended to be that way. The new 4.1 is very similar but lighter and more nimble (or so I have read here on the forum, my own orders are still outstanding on that model) and the 4LE has the handle of that SK4 in the picture but a much thinner grind, I am very much looking forward to receiving mine to try :cool:

The BK16 has become something of a benchmark for me as it is quite well designed and has an edge-geometry comparable to S!K which is better than most production knives - that Becker is an excellent knife, esp. for the price :thumbsup:

JKN_sZXrlG4-Rka3KzCZFu6lPwHYAegkh0T3VK2jyud_pa809yxL2xGFU8ua6uDKSUqU1OoxxrJS_m-YVxN6wDUBL5iHrOGEhe7N7W1MyVAxzOpDB560s-8Uzjn8Eo2vMG2Nas0rxxmHkGChxHB4cihsGg0VR6zYyWat-ZvugafsGBafseARuCKqj252uwd1L-aTgP6u4YglOpSWd6d76nxoQo3jU3VAADM9_r5dxFtSw9n6Mmb0aStn_WtciF-xG5W3o5k7ZO0ogc5WBOYTmc5fUlRHEoRWAqPyLrRZ_D3-1x3EF3-dqWi6qysLG31qEKmVzT-SQdHlIQNukwRtM04swcswv7fiZQRVOoCpEH5p3fcT8mT8C5yjhtXZhiraIkUrevpR6h8jbzMdO6-456-iwsoUWHxGZzXthla1HMCqKU35OAEEY3EuX7bDafVjOWv-VEmvOd9kSWC4mFGhKOwq6RB0nhwRNq6fbJ0NT351gwlqcUoWhkfKw78CLnkNPLkPwebyt_Vq4T_f3EQvP6smcW-qbKa1g0-8M_ZiGaDASr6bLse0qo5ai5P13p8-2Ubf5L86r80JKvetZgV57ni88ZaieJNJUxxJNvpMjw=w927-h980-no

I really do appreciate the sentiment, but I completely agree and understand wanting to keep your knives close. I have been following the going-ons here with quite a bit of interest but am a brand new poster to this particular sub. I have already made my concerns as a prospective buyer known in a different thread so no need for me to beat the proverbial horse, I'd rather discuss the knives anyway.

I hope to be able to check the knives out in the not so distant future, but in the meantime, I'll be happy to glean what info I can from those of you who have said knives close at hand.

That graphic is most excellent, by the way, thank you for sharing.

I've done a few "reviews" on Survive! knives (actually, my first reviews were those at a time when there didn't seem to be much of any around, and I've just tried to keep doing it), so here are some links if you feel the inclination - note, some are older models. I also have videos on youtube under Chamdar17 - some are longer, I do try to keep them short but they are mostly intended to be (ab)use videos so keep that in mind. Anyway, here's to a brighter future and more knives!!! :D

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/survive-gso-2-7-passaround-review.1433784/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/s-k-4-7-sample-blade-reviews.1382487/page-4#post-15973088
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...d-with-swamp-rat-ratmandu-and-esee-6.1366826/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...avy-review-with-a-couple-comparisons.1225603/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...o-511-srkw-ratmandu-cattaraugus-225q.1102231/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...rison-to-brkt-bravo-1-swamp-rat-hrlm.1059373/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...review-with-photos-warning-pic-heavy.1026109/

Good reviews are surprisingly hard to do. Thanks for all your great work Chiral! :thumbsup:

Picture came out great, thank you for the visual reference. I am quite familiar with the BK16 so the picture is very helpful. Both the 4.7 and SK4 look like fine knives, but I sure do like the taller blade on the 4.7.

You guys surely do have the patience of saints though. But everything points to a product that seems very much worth it.

I have my 4.7 and I would gladly loan it to you to try out if you like. We're brothers on the Becker forum anyways! MTM and I would love to come out to your area one day and do some overnight outdoor stuff! Beautiful country you got!

I'm not too worried about loaning out my 4.7, my only Survive. I just need a GSO 2.7 and 6 to really round out my Survive compilation. Knowing the knives that you have, I'm sure you will fall in love with the handle like I did!

Aw, look at these beckerheads coming together in my thread!

91bravo, your comment of wanting a bigger and smaller GSO to go with your 4.7 reminds me of my on going goal to get a type of Becker trio made up of GSOs. Ethan's idea of a bk16 and neck knife and chopper really resonated with me. I have the 4.7 and 2.7, so when my 12 comes I'll feel like I'll be prepared for most anything.

Aw, look at these beckerheads coming together in my thread!

91bravo, your comment of wanting a bigger and smaller GSO to go with your 4.7 reminds me of my on going goal to get a type of Becker trio made up of GSOs. Ethan's idea of a bk16 and neck knife and chopper really resonated with me. I have the 4.7 and 2.7, so when my 12 comes I'll feel like I'll be prepared for most anything.

That 12 looks like a beast! Of course, I compare all choppers to my 1311, which is probably the best chopper I've used. The bk21 is not far behind, but due to the heavier weight, the 1311 nudges it out by a smidge. That's not to take anything away from the bk21 though. I'm sure that 12 will be an outstanding chopper given the specs!

I would really like to get my hands on a bk21, I love the look and specs. The Becker kukri seems like a versatile beast. Ethan knows.

My bk9 has been an invaluable companion around the yard and gets pulled out almost every time I get the fire pit going.

I've never handles a Busse, but that 1311 looks awesome.

I had both the 4.1 and 4.7 side by side for awhile (lengthy review and comparison around here somewhere). I am not a fan of having my fingertips touch my palm when gripping a knife. The 4.1 handle was just on the slim side of perfect for me. The 4.7 IS perfect. I suppose liners under the scales may have changed my mind. I liked the blade on the 4.1 more, but the handle less than the 4.7. I would struggle to find a reason why the 4.7 is not perfect in every aspect.

Ultimately, I let the 4.1 go because of how functionally close it was to the 4.7 (and even more so to the CPK Field Knife, for me anyway). I am really looking forward to the 3.5 to have just a bit more differentiation.

Thanks for the input Tony.
Is the 4.1 handle at all similar to the cpk field knife? Personally I didn't like the feel of the FK handle and so just recently let the knife go in a trade to a forum friend. I'm hoping the 4.1 has a more lock-in feel to it because the FK was just simply to neutral for me.

XtianAus XtianAus The FK and 4.1 are indeed very similar. I favored the FK over the 4.1 and kept it, letting the 4.1 go. Specifically with regard to handles, the 4.1 probably locked in a little better. I know what you mean about he FK being neutral. It's been awhile, and we are talking about very small nuances. Hard to remember.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:
Hopefully the little extra lock-in that the 4.1 provides ,is enough for me to like because I really want to like the 4.1 haha. Just like the FK, I wanted to love it, but simply couldnt get use to its handle.

Back