New to Multi tools, Did I do good?

With the hundreds of knives that reside in my cases, desk, pockets, and passed through my hands, I have never EVER really owned a multi-tool of my own.

Recently, with returning to the work force in a field service roll I decided I defiantly needed one. After much scrutinizing and requested for suggestions I purchased a Leatherman Wave. I really had it narrowed down between that and a Gerber with the pliers on the slide if you know what I mean.

Anyway, everyone I asked said go with the Leatherman but I was still hoping to handle them side by side. So after visiting Outdoor World, I discovered they didn't have either on display and I was ready to buy. So the guy at the counter gave the final nail in the coffin with his suggestion of the Wave as well.

So did I do good?? What Multi-tools would you suggest are better than the wave??

Hey BG, in case I haven't said it already, welcome to NC. As to your question I think you made an excellent choice. I don't think anyone could go wrong with a Wave or any other LM product. I've got three LMs myself and know first hand that they are excellent tools.

I'm very partial to Victorinox products. The Swiss Tool is the most solid multi I've seen.

Paul

Well, I'm not crazy about the Wave. It bugs me that the inner tools are so hard to access, especially if your hands are wet or muddy. However, I read that this problem has been addressed, so the new version Wave may be much better.

I think you did great. I spent a lot of time choosing a EDC multitool and chose the LM Wave because it hit a sweet spot of shape, functionality and size. Not too big, not too small, has most of the tools I need, and comfortable to use. The "clumping" issue was never a problem for me, just push the ones you don't want back in and I love the one handed blades.

Can't wait for the Charge Ti, it looks like it will hit the sweet spot again. I'm looking forward to the new blades and locking tools.

I carry the WAVE on my days off and it hasn't let me down. I used to always have a Tough Tool (from Schrade) on my belt. It's all about what you feel comfortable with ;)

I agree with Matches its what feels good to you TheBadGuy, but I had been screaming Wave to you!!

the Ti Charge, next up!!! will dominate the market- :p

Good choice! I've one on my belt right now, used it quite a bit today already!

I think the Leatherman and Swiss-tools are tops, although I've always wanted a SOG paratool, too :confused:

I have the SOG POWERLOCK ,PARATOOL & old Leatherman! I like the Paratool most of all!
Jim

The Wave is an excellent tool, you did well. Great, I can't say...it depends what you want. If you NEED a ultra-tough multi-tool, you really can't beat the Vic Swisstool, in it's various versions. If a compact form factor is more important the Leatherman XE6 or Juice Pro is probably the best bet. For a quality, medium to heavy duty tool, the Wave has my vote....until the new Leatheman and Victorinox tools are available.... :D

i'm going to agree with the notion that it's hard to go wrong with a leatherman. i used to think it was largely hype, but after trying out most of the basic original style tools (i haven't tried the swiss or spydertools yet, and would like to), i am very satisfied with my regular old leatherman for general multitool functionality and build quality. it just feels good to use. it's hard to put a price on that.

also, welcome to NC!

Thanks for the NC welcome gentlemen!! I never got into the Multi-tools before mainly b/c I never had a need. But now that I do, I am starting to get really wound up and ready to add a couple more to my collection. The best part is there are NO safe queen multitools :D

So now that I have the Wave, the question is whats next? Any word on when the new Leatherman products are coming out. I hear the Ti charge should be something else :)

I think this is turning into a NC thread. I'm from NC too!!!! Howdy neighbors!!!
In my opinion, you really can't go wrong with any of the Gerbers, LM or SOG.

i didnt love my wave, felt kind of flimsy too me, i much prefer the supertool200, just as comfortable imo, and much stronger. try a supertool200 next and see if you like it, i bet you will

I think that you made the very best choice. As you may have noticed over in the all-too-common "What's your EDC?" threads, my list has always been a rotation of knives, ended with, "and my leatherman wave, which I never leave the house without."

The supertool is stronger, ergo heavier, but I find the tools just too hard to open. I'd need my wave to ply open the tools on that monster.

YMMV
WayLander

Back