How To New to Sharpening

Hey everyone, I'm newer to knife sharpening and seeing if anyone has recommendations for what I should do.

Right now, I have a SPYDERCO. Sharpmaker that I use on my WUSTHOF kitchen (steak, chef, pairing) knives and pocket knives (mostly benchmade and Gerber). I just picked up a SHUN recently, so I plan on using that too. After doing a little digging on here and the web. It looks like I might be doing more harm than good with the Sharpmaker on my WUSTHOF, and I don't want the shun anywhere near it. So my question to yall is, what is a good sharpening system that sets the angle for me to make sure I don't damage the blades. Have a strop; it's still in the bag. Need to pull it out.

This all being said, my knives are definitely sharper utilizing this system. I got them sharpened professionally a couple of years ago, so not sure if they messed up the angle, and that's what's helping me.

Pretty sure I have a GATCO Edgemate somewhere in the garage too.

Currently looking at Wicked edge and Work Sharp products.

There are multiple threads on here from very recently discussing the pros and cons of free hand vs guided vs powered - in fact there is one tip of this forum at the moment.

personally I’d steer clear of powered sharpening unless you are making blades and or doing significant amounts of reprofiling

I have experience with both the Edge-Pro and Wicked Edge. Both are truly excellent systems.

I prefer the Edge-Pro, but that's just personal preference..

Hey everyone, I'm newer to knife sharpening and seeing if anyone has recommendations for what I should do.

Right now, I have a SPYDERCO. Sharpmaker that I use on my WUSTHOF kitchen (steak, chef, pairing) knives and pocket knives (mostly benchmade and Gerber). I just picked up a SHUN recently, so I plan on using that too. After doing a little digging on here and the web. It looks like I might be doing more harm than good with the Sharpmaker on my WUSTHOF, and I don't want the shun anywhere near it. So my question to yall is, what is a good sharpening system that sets the angle for me to make sure I don't damage the blades. Have a strop; it's still in the bag. Need to pull it out.

This all being said, my knives are definitely sharper utilizing this system. I got them sharpened professionally a couple of years ago, so not sure if they messed up the angle, and that's what's helping me.

Pretty sure I have a GATCO Edgemate somewhere in the garage too.

Currently looking at Wicked edge and Work Sharp products.

Wicked Edge!!

Back