new to spyders

Hello spyderco fans great posts here, man you guys are freaks ( good way)!
So I'm newish to collecting but finally got a manix 2 frn light weight pinned, s110v. came kinda toothey, hit it on the strop and wow pretty dang sweet.
pivot play play was decent enough but a lil wiggly left to right. Played with pivot screw and reached a decent compromise with action vs play, but........
I am wondering if changing the scales would tighten that up, and while i searched for, but didn't see a vid/post on removing the pins to replace with screws if i did want to mod it.
Looks like a bit of a pain after watching metal complex take apart a spydy pm2 to redo scales and the lock ball looks like a lot of fun. Looked really good when done.
I guess the pins need to get drilled out. OK that's fine but i thought id investigate here first, and see what others have done.
Also as long as I'm asking for stuff, any favs for scale makers for spydercos, Ive seen some gorgeous stuff out there
Perhaps its cheaper to buy another manix 2 and sell the one i have. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You.

Welcome aboard Billybee!
I never bought a pinned folder exactly because of this. Soon an LW Manix 2 model will be released with screws instead of pins, you could wait for that, or you could buy a g10 model now. Or go ahead and attempt a disassembly. Personally I would flip/trade this one.

Welcome and your wallet will never be the same, lol. Are you talking about pivot left to right when the blade is not fully deployed? It should be absolutely solid when fully deployed with zero play in any direction. If you are talking about pivot movement when the blade is not fully deployed, I think this is something a bit over critical I hear from the tube reviewers. I like Metal Complex but you have to realize that they need to come up with more and more ways to review a knife, some of which are a little overboard. I’m open to the reasoning why this does matter if I’m understanding this correctly.

Welcome and your wallet will never be the same, lol. Are you talking about pivot left to right when the blade is not fully deployed? It should be absolutely solid when fully deployed with zero play in any direction. If you are talking about pivot movement when the blade is not fully deployed, I think this is something a bit over critical I hear from the tube reviewers. I like Metal Complex but you have to realize that they need to come up with more and more ways to review a knife, some of which are a little overboard. I’m open to the reasoning why this does matter if I’m understanding this correctly.
Thx John,
so its the actual pivot assemble that wiggles. Knife in open locked position has no wiggle that you can see but the housing holding the pivot is under ill admit, a stong grip moves left / right. it goes away when fully tightening the pivot, but at that point no thumb deployment the action is super tight and rubbing against scale.

Thx John,
so its the actual pivot assemble that wiggles. Knife in open locked position has no wiggle that you can see but the housing holding the pivot is under ill admit, a stong grip moves left / right. it goes away when fully tightening the pivot, but at that point no thumb deployment the action is super tight and rubbing against scale.
OK, I think I understand what you’re saying. I’ll look at a few of my Manix later tonight and see if they have the same problem

Add half a drop of blue loctite to the pivot screws and tighten it to the sweet spot (i.e., no blade play but can still spydiehole flick open). I strongly advise against disassembling the knife, due to the pin construction. I have this model (assuming it is dark blue frn, s110v). It is lightweight, keeps a sharp working edge forever, and truly a work horse. I also had the g10 version but sold it.

Add half a drop of blue loctite to the pivot screws and tighten it to the sweet spot (i.e., no blade play but can still spydiehole flick open). I strongly advise against disassembling the knife, due to the pin construction. I have this model (assuming it is dark blue frn, s110v). It is lightweight, keeps a sharp working edge forever, and truly a work horse. I also had the g10 version but sold it.
Agreed ......
its the dark blue one, and frankly i do like it a lot. that 110v is something else for sure. I have a nice sharpening system and while disappointed with factory edge, it tuned up really nice and quickly, and the 110v is mostly untested in the wilds it appears to be a paper cardboard monster.

Lots of advantages to the frn light weight for sure, i was just wondering if say some titanium scales would strengthen it, so as not to have this wiggle issue,

i was just wondering if say some titanium scales would strengthen it, so as not to have this wiggle issue,
That wiggle is most likely due to the tightness of the pivot. Changing scales is not going to fix that. I second the blue Loctite suggestion. There should be a point of little or no wiggle and easy deployment. It may take a few tries to find that exact spot that works for you.

Back