New to the Becker forum

I got into beckers about a year and a half ago started with a bk-2 and an okc 18in machete which lead to a couple bk-16s which are unbelieveable words cannot describe! Also got into benchmade folders which led me to BF. Then around the holidays I found out about the bk-62 and this particular beckerhead forum (as well as being introduced to Horace Kephart)...Fantastic...you guys are great. To sum it up, I have a bk62 enroute and I realized that I was a beckerhead before I even knew what it was called.

Lately, Ive acumulated enough folders that im back to fixed blades and recently was also looking at the 9 vs junglas, or figuring that maybe my 18in okc machete and a 2&16 would cover it?

I generally camp for about 8 day stretches in N.Ga around 3x per year...the rest of the time, well Im just waiting for the next trip. Cant believe ive just now discovered Kephart. Thanks Ethan and BF!

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. The BK2 was my first as well. The BK62 is freaking awesome. I love that blade.

Welcome

The BK62 is a winner. If you like beckers, the 9 is supposed to be amazing. I only reason I don't have one yet is I have a scrap yard 911 which is pretty similar already. My first was the Bk4, which is pretty dang neato too. I have a 62, 16, and 11 now. I fashioned a used vest I got for cheap so that I have the 16 attached to bottom of the vest as if it was on a belt.

The BK16... I see why it's Ethan's favorite. Not sure if that's still true after the 62 came out but those 2 can do so much work. I think either paired with a 9 would be a magical combo for most needs unless heavy cutting is needed or a machete is needed. I would love for becker to get his handle on a machete, I think I saw someone in the forums with a beckerized 18" tram machete.

Welcome to Beckers ! ... My first was a 15 ... which led me to love the 5 and 15 and own several ... then the slope got slippery and here I am loving my Becker knives ...

I had a 2 and a 16 and someone had a couple for sale another 15 and a 9 so I just bought both ... and the 9 really surprised me ... so yeah welcome aboard and I think a 9 should be a definate addition at some point in any Becker users collection.

what part of the country do you camp in?
a BK16 or BK62 and a machete maybe all you need in your AO.
Hey, Im in North Ga, and do most my camping there. The okc machete is pretty thick and batons pretty well. But Im a sucker for a becker!

Welcome

The BK62 is a winner. If you like beckers, the 9 is supposed to be amazing. I only reason I don't have one yet is I have a scrap yard 911 which is pretty similar already. My first was the Bk4, which is pretty dang neato too. I have a 62, 16, and 11 now. I fashioned a used vest I got for cheap so that I have the 16 attached to bottom of the vest as if it was on a belt.

The BK16... I see why it's Ethan's favorite. Not sure if that's still true after the 62 came out but those 2 can do so much work. I think either paired with a 9 would be a magical combo for most needs unless heavy cutting is needed or a machete is needed. I would love for becker to get his handle on a machete, I think I saw someone in the forums with a beckerized 18" tram machete.
Thumbs up on the vest. Funny you say that about the machete grips.... I have never done it before, but I was thinking similarly and found some micarta blanks and some g10 liners that would together match the stock thickness and was thinking about trying to make my own becker-esque grips for the machete.

Welcome to Beckers ! ... My first was a 15 ... which led me to love the 5 and 15 and own several ... then the slope got slippery and here I am loving my Becker knives ...

I had a 2 and a 16 and someone had a couple for sale another 15 and a 9 so I just bought both ... and the 9 really surprised me ... so yeah welcome aboard and I think a 9 should be a definate addition at some point in any Becker users collection.
Yep, my brain and my gf seem to caution me about getting a knife that I wont use. Maybe im wrong, but I never used a large knife that much and I dont think that it will do anything that a hatchet-machete and 16 wouldnt do...BUT it could cover all of those bases failry well without bringing 3 tools. Anyway, just looking for a good excuse...haha. Im sure that I came to the right place for sympathy!

Yep, my brain and my gf seem to caution me about getting a knife that I wont use. Maybe im wrong, but I never used a large knife that much and I dont think that it will do anything that a hatchet-machete and 16 wouldnt do...BUT it could cover all of those bases failry well without bringing 3 tools. Anyway, just looking for a good excuse...haha. Im sure that I came to the right place for sympathy!

Well an Axe and machette will do most anything a BK9 will ... and I understand not wanting knives you won't use ...

And I used to be a saw and axe guy ... now I am a folding saw and one big knife like the 9 and then my belt knife and trusty SAK Alox Farmer ...

but yeah this is a great group of people here ... they / we will understand the wanting to buy this or that and tryng talk yourself into it ... lol

Welcome ... IMHO you found one of the best subs on this site the people are great.

Welcome Fishin4trout and as many have said if its a Becker you will find a Use for it from the 11 to the 6 and all the sizes in between, you cant go wrong with a Becker

Thanks man, this sub is great, and def stands out from the rest. Ive been thinking about upgrading my membership, finding this sub tipped me over the edge.

Speaking of folding saws. I picked up a silky 650 around a yr ago. That thing is a beast! I got it for canoeing and processing wood at camp withoth having to use a chaisaw. If anybody is on the fence, get it its really nice. I went through a downed hemlock 18in in a couple minutes.

Welcome!

Becker's are pretty great, even though they have bitten me in the past

Welcome aboard shipmate!

You have done well finding Becker knives - and the Sweet 16 is, well, sweet, as you have already concluded on your own.
Even if you have other tools or knives than can overlap the category of functionality that is the domain of the BK-9, you can't not have a Nine as someone around here coined the phrase once.

As for the Kephart, first time I picked one up (Ethan's find) I liked it but did not know what I was holding. It seemed so basic and pure for an outdoorsman's knife but despite these inherent qualities, my ignorance to its history and the man needed to be cured. I thank Ethan and this sub-forum for providing me with the knowledge I then lacked. More time here will no doubt cure more and more ignorance.

It is said that a fish rots first from the head and that a tree blooms first from the top. Given the nature of his sub-forum, credit must be given to our leader, Uncle E. His passion for the wilderness, knowledge of knives, wit, wisdom and generosity make for a soft landing here.

Welcome to the Becker forum..... Firsti would like to thank you for your support and your kind words ...... I like the Junglas but think that a Nine is more versatile....The ESSE guys make a Very decent blade and you could certainly do worse......A 16 and a machete will definitely see you through but make sure you do something to keep that machete handle from eating the snot out of your little finger.....Try some golfers grip tape or a couple of layers of bicycle inner tube...... That handle is why I prefer Tramontina machetes which have inferior steel..... A little sanding on a trammie does wonders....

Again, Welcome.....

All best, Ethan

Last edited:
Back