New Toy

you might already know, but i was surprised at how fragile those magnets are. they snap like dried pasta. if you place them on the bench a few inches apart they attract and slam into each other and crack.

Some Japanese full tang kitchen knives like the Hattori "forum knife" line are actually ground like a sword in that the entire length of the knife is bevel ground including the tang. Slightly lazy i guess, but they avoid having to "blend" the plunge. You could do that in theory on this rig but for the fact tha it isn't long enough to do it all in one shot per side.

Puukos are also beveled down into the tang.

Although, Stacy’s idea of using a stop would work I bet. I don’t know about coming to a stop on the blade where the plunge would be though. You would probably want to go a little bit at a time, that’s for sure.

He covers all that in the videos. It isn't complex math, and you could just wing it by eye if the word sine had vanished from your memory.

I could see this SG doing the single bevel on a yanagi-ba or usuba nicely.

Now that I think about it, I have some cleavers that have been sitting in a box for years. I just dread the grinding on them. I bet I could do them on the SG much neater and easier ... certainly easier on my hands and fingers. I might do them in steps and either blend them together or leave the "techno-cleaver" look.

Another good thing is that a non-skilled person could do the flattening and beveling while I did other tasks like profiling. They would enjoy running a cool machine and I would enjoy getting more jobs done .... win-win. "Grasshopper - you must move the handles left and right five times ... ... turn knob to increase .001" ... left and right five times ... increase .001".... you must repeat process 20 times. When you are done with that blade, there are 20 more to do!"

As to Natlek's comment about doing one side only. He is correct.
I regularly bevel only one side. This makes a perfect angle with the other side (assuming it was already flat). All you have to do is slightly true the spine for the tiny angle it is off. I just did the math - on a 1.5" chefs blade made fro .08" stock - the spine would be canted 3 degrees (corners at 90 degrees and 87 degrees), and the beveled side is 2 thousandths longer than the the un-beveled side. You might not be able to see it, and in cleaning up the spine after HT it would be rectified.
There really isn't any reason to bevel both sides on a FFG.
So, the procedure is:
flatten one side - flip billet - set sine plate to the rise needed to make the desired bevel (a function of the spine thickness and the 5" distance for the sine plate) - grind second side as the bevel - true up spine post-HT.

I think that thin and little longer contact wheel with bearing on only one side would make perfect and symmetrical plunge lines every time on this toy .
ILtOX6o.png

There really isn't any reason to bevel both sides on a FFG. So, the procedure is: flatten one side - flip billet - set sine plate to the rise needed to make the desired bevel (a function of the spine thickness and the 5" distance for the sine plate) - grind second side as the bevel - true up spine post-HT
That sounds interesting - Do you make very many chef knives this way? I might try that on next one I make. After all, using a plungeless grind I'll bet it wouldn't show that much at all.

I ordered a Reeder Surface Grinder attachment for the new shop build. It will be on a dedicated horizontal grinder. I am very impressed with how rigid it is and how much you can do with it. Tapered tangs and blades, bevels, surface grinding billets of damascus, flattening blades post-HT, warp removal, etc.
It is shown with the 1.5X1.5 stock tool arm, but I will run it with a double arm for more rigidity.
The post sticking up is where the contact wheel goes. Being able to use different types of contact wheels is also nice.View attachment 1128148 View attachment 1128149 View attachment 1128150 View attachment 1128151 View attachment 1128152
How has the SGA worked out for ya? How's the accuracy?

I haven't had a chance to use it beyond some setup adjustments. It will go in the new shop. The shop has been delayed in technicalities with the city, but is moving forward again.
Once the shop construction begins, I have an order ready for a Reader system mobile base and horizontal table so the SG can be moved wherever it is needed.

Dang you Stacy. My wife is is going to be pissed and it's all your fault.

Nice review even if it made me need something that I didn't know existed a few minutes ago. Running coolant on that would allow me to run at semi production speeds.

Back