New Toys- Mora Bushcraft Black & Fiskars X7 (pic heavy)

Does the rubber hold up well in general?
Do you baton with it.
Someone on a bushcraft channel mentioned the rubber being effected; " the rubber on his Bushcraft Black breaking up with hard use, especially near the blade".
The rubber is fine, to be honest. I have split firewood into kindling with it, but have no need to baton through large logs in any event. It’s a very rugged knife in general. Considering the nature of a ‘bushcraft’ knife, I’m not certain what ‘hard use’ that fella is inflicting on it?! It’s a small, stout, Scandi grind woods knife, not a Terävä Skrama... ;)

The rubber is fine, to be honest. I have split firewood into kindling with it, but have no need to baton through large logs in any event. It’s a very rugged knife in general. Considering the nature of a ‘bushcraft’ knife, I’m not certain what ‘hard use’ that fella is inflicting on it?! It’s a small, stout, Scandi grind woods knife, not a Terävä Skrama... ;)
If I just imagine what he would consider hard use (which I do not really know ofcourse , I do not kow this person). Probably batoning wood the size where the piece is against the guard and only the very tip of the Bushcraft Black sticking out. How else does one rough up the rubber handle near the guard. Not from cutting a bit of wood I would say.
Those rubber handles, when using them with some common sense, should last probably for many years at least.
I have the Mora's 731, 711, 748MG, 749 , the Companion. As far as I can see from my experience, that rubber is pretty durable.
The rubber on the Bushcraft Black is probably not much different I assume.

Yeah, the Terävä Skrama is more of a wood splitter/chopping type of knife.
Also rubber handles. I've seen the handle slide on the tang a bit. Due tot the relative straight tang without hole or protrusions. Maybe they addressed this.

(edit: On the Mora 700 series, 711, 748MG, 731, 729, ....Molding machine broke down. The moulding tools only fitted one old moulding machine which broke down, and instead of making new tools for newer machines these models were delisted and taken out of production).
Info is from Thomas Eriksson himself..

Last edited:
The price has kept me away from the Bushcraft, even though I have several Moras. Instead, I got a Kansbøl for $27. I prefer that handle, too.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the rubber handle, which is pretty easily and durably repaired with Sugru, I should think.

The price has kept me away from the Bushcraft, even though I have several Moras. Instead, I got a Kansbøl for $27. I prefer that handle, too.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the rubber handle, which is pretty easily and durably repaired with Sugru, I should think.
Interesting. I never heard of Sugru before.

I agree on the price of the Bushcraft.
I have been eyeing the Mora Pathfinder. But can't see what justifies the way higher price of it compared to the 731/748MG/ 749 that I already have(multiple of each).
The 749 being relatively thin for its length, when bending it quite an angle, it just springs back to straight. (unlike the Glock knife that stays bend and is very soft, also the tip bends easily, and stays bend). The 749 cuts wood like a if it's a laser. Really sharp knife. And I had the Bushcraft Black, and compared it to the Companion and Companion HD, Basic 511, cutting wood. Higher price doesn't perse equal better performer. The Companion's were actually the better wood slicers. Even the 511 did slice wood better than the Bushcraft Black.

Last edited:
https://sugru.com/buy/sugru-mouldab...d5YbWg0U1LZhSo1Brizv3--NKjxiQpVhoCio0QAvD_BwE

Interesting stuff. A little expensive, and only a few months’ shelf life. I have used it to repair some handles on knives and other tools. It might be useful for some modifications, but I find I am removing material motr often than adding it.
Thank you, definitely an option when there are issues with the rubber.
Though it probably doesn't happen soon, it still is an option to keep in mind if it happens.

Wait, can you explain a bit more on this?
removing material more often than adding it?
How..

Sure. When I modify a handle, I usually whittle, sand or grind it to shape it to my taste. All of my pocket Opinels get carved on some. There are several threads here on mods to Opinels. Plenty of people do it.

Sugru looks and feels like modeling clay when it comes out of its little envelopes. You can work it and shape it for quite a while, maybe half an hour or an hour, but then it sets up hard, like hard rubber. It is good for filling gaps, but also for adding shape or texture to a tool to make it more comfortable or work better. As an example, while using the stuff to repair a hammer handle where a chunk of wood had come out, I went ahead and added a finger hook for my little finger, not unlike what you find on the handle of a Mora 611, or a lot of other knives. Now that hammer will never fly out of my hand unless I want it to. Never had a knife that called for it, though.

I have used Sugru to add some little bumps around the head of a big Maglite flashlight to keep it from rolling off the table. Don’t even ask why that one occurred to me.

A guy could use the stuff to fabricate some handle scales, or a handle for a rattail tang, but I haven’t thought of one that I would find attractive. That is probably a failure of imagination on my part. I would love to show you some of the stuff I have done, not that it is particularly cool, but to give you an idea of what you could do with it. Unfortunately, this site is rejecting most of my photos at the moment.

Sure. When I modify a handle, I usually whittle, sand or grind it to shape it to my taste. All of my pocket Opinels get carved on some. There are several threads here on mods to Opinels. Plenty of people do it.

Sugru looks and feels like modeling clay when it comes out of its little envelopes. You can work it and shape it for quite a while, maybe half an hour or an hour, but then it sets up hard, like hard rubber. It is good for filling gaps, but also for adding shape or texture to a tool to make it more comfortable or work better. As an example, while using the stuff to repair a hammer handle where a chunk of wood had come out, I went ahead and added a finger hook for my little finger, not unlike what you find on the handle of a Mora 611, or a lot of other knives. Now that hammer will never fly out of my hand unless I want it to. Never had a knife that called for it, though.

I have used Sugru to add some little bumps around the head of a big Maglite flashlight to keep it from rolling off the table. Don’t even ask why that one occurred to me.

A guy could use the stuff to fabricate some handle scales, or a handle for a rattail tang, but I haven’t thought of one that I would find attractive. That is probably a failure of imagination on my part. I would love to show you some of the stuff I have done, not that it is particularly cool, but to give you an idea of what you could do with it. Unfortunately, this site is rejecting most of my photos at the moment.
Sounds like really good stuff.
But does it stick to material like a glue or how...?
When you mention the Maglite and adding bumps on it. How does it stick to a Maglite. Do you form a ring around it that stays put as when putting a rubber elastic band around it.

The only time I had my hand sliding on a knife handle was with the Cold Steel smatchet, the Cold Steel Black Bear Bowie machete has that same type of handle. Too wide/flat and slick ( handle too big in width/size), when doing some stab tests I had my hand sliding against the guard a few times. That's a no-no , should never happen in a good knife/handle.
I did so many of those tests with all kinds of knives on many materials (just for the fun/interest of it). The Mora's of all sorts/types are stuck/stay in the hand as if it's part of the hand, as it should be when using tools (unless chopping with an axe where you want the hand to slide ofcourse). They should be highly ergonomical.

Making a whole handle on a rat tail tang knife made of Sugru? That is even possible? That is really good stuff if it holds up well like that.
Mabe trying a simple type of handle , as is on the Mora 1 or 2 classic? Comfortable, and adding a little guard, which is enough or safety measures. No need for huge guards. Unless one wants to play Zorro with it .
Pics would be nice.
But maybe when doing some search I mind find some examples..

Sounds like really good stuff.
But does it stick to material like a glue or how...?
When you mention the Maglite and adding bumps on it. How does it stick to a Maglite. Do you form a ring around it that stays put as when putting a rubber elastic band around it.

The only time I had my hand sliding on a knife handle was with the Cold Steel smatchet, the Cold Steel Black Bear Bowie machete has that same type of handle. Too wide/flat and slick ( handle too big in width/size), when doing some stab tests I had my hand sliding against the guard a few times. That's a no-no , should never happen in a good knife/handle.
I did so many of those tests with all kinds of knives on many materials (just for the fun/interest of it). The Mora's of all sorts/types are stuck/stay in the hand as if it's part of the hand, as it should be when using tools (unless chopping with an axe where you want the hand to slide ofcourse). They should be highly ergonomical.

Making a whole handle on a rat tail tang knife made of Sugru? That is even possible? That is really good stuff if it holds up well like that.
Mabe trying a simple type of handle , as is on the Mora 1 or 2 classic? Comfortable, and adding a little guard, which is enough or safety measures. No need for huge guards. Unless one wants to play Zorro with it .
Pics would be nice.
But maybe when doing some search I mind find some examples..

On the Maglite, four bumps about 3/8” long, 3/16 across, evenly disposed around the ring, stuck right to the metal. They have shown no inclination to come off for at least five years, maybe more. The product is billed as an adhesive. I could probably pry it off with a knife, never tried.

The stuff comes in little foil envelopes. It might take four or six envelopes, maybe more, to make a whole knife handle, less for scales on a full tang. If you wanted to embellish or enhance a knife it would be almost as dense and tough as the Varusteleka handles, or the Reseprine that comes on SYKCO knives.

On the Maglite, four bumps about 3/8” long, 3/16 across, evenly disposed around the ring, stuck right to the metal. They have shown no inclination to come off for at least five years, maybe more. The product is billed as an adhesive. I could probably pry it off with a knife, never tried.

The stuff comes in little foil envelopes. It might take four or six envelopes, maybe more, to make a whole knife handle, less for scales on a full tang. If you wanted to embellish or enhance a knife it would be almost as dense and tough as the Varusteleka handles, or the Reseprine that comes on SYKCO knives.
Wow.
That's amazing .
Very good stuff. This is something to give a shot for sure when needed for a handle being damaged or any other handle that needs some extra grippiness.
Also amazing that I never heard of it before.
Then again, I think it was only in my forties when I 'discovered' the amazingness of the Mora knives. Crazy.
I used to focus too much on military type of knives, as if they would be better. Probably due to the cool factor stuck to it. Falling for the ninja factor..
The Mora is as ninja as a Fairbairn Sykes or Glock knife , even more in my opinion, but also with 100% utility along with it.

Last edited:
And it's already on the metal for 5 or more years...
That's really good !

Great pic btw. shows it well.

Wow.
That's amazing .
Very good stuff. This is something to give a shot for sure when needed for a handle being damaged or any other handle that needs some extra grippiness.
Also amazing that I never heard of it before.
Then again, I think it was only in my forties when I 'discovered' the amazingness of the Mora knives. Crazy.
I used to focus to much on military type of knives, as if they would be better. Probably due to the cool factor stuck to it. Falling for the ninja factor..
The Mora is as ninja as a Fairbairn Sykes or Glock knife , even more in my opinion, but also with 100% utility along with it.
Don’t feel bad about not knowing about it - it is quite a niche product! (Also, it is relatively new in the grand scheme of things.)

I have some ready for when the climbing roses I planted at the front of our house reach beyond the wooden trellis. You can shape sugru to hold the wire quite unobtrusively. Clever stuff. Probably terrible for the environment. Ahem. :(

Don’t feel bad about not knowing about it - it is quite a niche product! (Also, it is relatively new in the grand scheme of things.)

I have some ready for when the climbing roses I planted at the front of our house reach beyond the wooden trellis. You can shape sugru to hold the wire quite unobtrusively. Clever stuff. Probably terrible for the environment. Ahem. :(
Yes I never heard of it before. And I roamed quite a bit around on these knives forums, and also on YouTube.
Amazing what you can do with it.
The environment.. mmm. Yeah, but that counts for a whole lot of stuff. I don't think this is of such huge amounts , although all bits matter.

Yes I never heard of it before. And I roamed quite a bit around on these knives forums, and also on YouTube.
Amazing what you can do with it.
The environment.. mmm. Yeah, but that counts for a whole lot of stuff. I don't think this is of such huge amounts , although all bits matter.
Yep. I hear you.

I think it is the bits, the little wheels that grind, which make up the whole. If we abrogate our responsibility as individual sentient life forms, while made up as a collective according to the way we humans act, then we doom ourselves.

Sweet dreams. ;)

Yes, being aware of things is important. Not sticking the head in the sand tactics.
A little effort goes a long way.

Back