New Upcoming Knives In A2;Better Than Carbon V ?

goldie

Gold Member
Was wondering how the latest trailmaster and recon scout coming in A2 would compare to the older carbon v versions.Would they be an improvement over that steel ?(50100b/0170-6)

A2 is pretty tried and true outdoorsman steel, if the HT is good. Holds a good edge and is still pretty resilient to abuse. I suspect the Carbon V wins out in the toughness category but loses in the stain resistance and edge retention, but I'm not sure how much. It should be a great choice for cold steel's mid and large sized blades.

I would wonder if mar tempered A2 would have any advantages. I have a well used carbon v trailmaster that has performed very well.I cut through about 20 feet of thick rhodedendrums ,it really went through them quick and easy.Some thicker branches were 3-4" thick was no problem for that knife.

I like a2 and have a few big knives in it......but never had a cold steel in it. I expect theyll do a good job with it.

Heat treat is everything,and Im sure CS will do good job on it as always,their ht is better than most companies at any price point!old carbon v was excellent, and A2 should perform even than carbon v.

In my experience, both A-2 and O-1 are more prone to rust tha Carbon V. All carbon steels will rust if not cared for.

Cold steel heat treat is one of best for factory made knife,i edc Kudu now,reground it and cuts like razor now

I don't think CS does there own heat treat, they have whoever is making the knives probably do the HT. As for A2 properly done one of my favorite carbon steels. I always thought that some where along the line also that Carbon V was a modified 0170-? or even a modified 52100. Could be wrong on that one though.

A2 is an excellent steel. The biggest advantage is the heat treat is easier and more consistent than other carbon steels as it is an air hardening steel. I have carbon V, SK5 and Sanmai3. I am looking forward to getting an A2 version.

I imagine that A2 would have better edge retention than Carbon V.

A2 can be taken to a higher than average hardness while still being tough.

I imagine that A2 would have better edge retention than Carbon V.

A2 can be taken to a higher than average hardness while still being tough.

Better corrosion resistance than either O1 or 50100b as well. Done(HT) properly A2 is a great steel. Kinda a forgotten steel these days though. I am surprised they are going to A2 instead of 3V which they are already using on many of their fixed blades.

Everything I have seen, A2 is tougher, has more wear resistance, and more corrosion resistance than O1. I think O1 and 50100b(CarbonV) are pretty close in overall performance, so A2 should be the better all around steel than either.

Cold-Work-Tool-Steel-Comparison-Chart.jpg

ToolTips_1108_Fig2.jpg

coldworkcompare.gif

technical-reference-graph.jpg

Better corrosion resistance than either O1 or 50100b as well. Done(HT) properly A2 is a great steel. Kinda a forgotten steel these days though. I am surprised they are going to A2 instead of 3V which they are already using on many of their fixed blades.

Everything I have seen, A2 is tougher, has more wear resistance, and more corrosion resistance than O1. I think O1 and 50100b(CarbonV) are pretty close in overall performance, so A2 should be the better all around steel than either.

Cold-Work-Tool-Steel-Comparison-Chart.jpg

ToolTips_1108_Fig2.jpg

coldworkcompare.gif

technical-reference-graph.jpg

Agreed, A2 should offer better toughness, wear resistance, and corrosion resistance than O1 for a minor increase in price ($10 retail). 3V would probably be a significant increase in price, for an increase in wear resistance over A2.

Last edited:
Back