1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How To New use for large fixed blade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by GronK, Jul 12, 2019.

1. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    New to me, anyway. Watched a short video made by the current leader of the Tour de France of the team celebrating later. Out comes this big knife and "pop" goes the cork. Had to search YT for this demo video.

2. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Excellent! A legitimate reason to carry a large blade.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Natlek likes this.
  3. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Love Le Tour and this demo.

But, I believe I would simply 'unscrew' the cork.

4. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I think that is wise jacksterp when this trick goes wrong it’s ugly.

bikerector likes this.
  5. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Even better! This guy was a real moron.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  6. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Sabrage /səˈbrɑːʒ/ is a technique for opening a champagne bottle with a saber,[1] used for ceremonial occasions. The wielder slides the saber along the body of the bottle to break the top of the neck away, leaving the neck of the bottle open and ready to pour. The force of the blunt side of the blade hitting the lip breaks the glass to separate the collar from the neck of the bottle. One does not use the sharp side of the blade. The cork and collar remain together after separating from the neck
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrage

Lapedog, Sharp & Fiery and marcinek like this.
  7. Dean51

Dean51 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I have to wonder how many people have swallowed glass after doing that :thumbsdown: stunt.

8. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2016
    If you watch fail videos online you'll see lots of this same method except not successful ;)

9. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    Champagne is under a lot of pressure. My guess is zero.

My wife and her friends did this at a get together one weekend. All of them had to take a turn. A lot of drinking that weekend. :D

10. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    I'm constantly surprised at how many bad knife use ideas exist... this is right up there with the worst.

A champagne cork can be pulled/twisted off without any effort

it's like the guy at work who insists on whipping out his medford/hinderer heavy folder to take plastic wrap off a box of chocolates... (even though the plastic wrap has a pulltab/strip to make it super easy)

11. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    ^^^^^^^
    This

The best technique is to ease the cork out slowly so there is no pop and minimal foam. If the champagne is worth drinking, why waste it by letting ir spume over?

12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :p I've tried this on both my boxed wine and plastic vodka bottles but got nothin' ! :rolleyes:

Huntnow, Velitrius and Lapedog like this.
  13. MtnHawk1

MtnHawk1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    I hope these guys had a medic on standby.

14. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    Respect! Those pulltab/strips are evil!!!! I certainly agree with your coworker this time.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  15. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    And bottle of champagne :)

16. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    If it is done properly the glass will break cleanly. Even if it isn’t the pressure of the champagne overflowing will wash away any glass pieces.

Still it is advisable to check for any glass in the first few glasses poured.

This is a great knife usage and tradition. It was used by Napolean’s troops to impress the local girls of the town they just “liberated.”

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  17. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  18. MtnHawk1

MtnHawk1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 22, 2019
    It would also be advisable to check for glass in the eyes, too.

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  19. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008

DocJD likes this.
  20. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015