New way of asking an old question

A lot of good points. Some people didn’t get it. Yes 30 is not a lot for a fixed blade. That’s the point. Cheap fixed blade (budget steel, sheath, etc) vs high end folder (super steel, solid locking mechanism, etc). Quality fixed vs quality folder would be too easy, obviously everyone would choose the fixed blade. For those of you that said Mora... damn should have seen that coming lol. Cheaters ;)

I don't see why a good modern folder would not work. Sure not as good as a fix blade but what if all you had with you was a sebenza or a spyderco military. I think I could make them work and I am far from a mountain man, but I know old farmers that used a slip joint for years to do everything with. I know my dad did.

after seeing the stress tests on a socom elite.. i’d take one, but the problem is sharpening. 1095 should be easier while holding a decent edge. or do we get a work sharp system with us?

A $300 folder is more akin to a $150 fixed blade, maybe more.
I say that because, as production folder go, you can get a lot for $300 ... like a 4-Max Scout and a spare and a couple SAks.
$30 doesn't get you much of a fixed blade but $100-150 certainly can.
In fact, for $100 you can get a (with careful shopping) a Becker BK-2 or maybe even a BK-9 and not only survive - but maybe wind up building a townhouse project!

I'd take a 4max Scout and probably a Shaman. The 4max for heavier duty, the Shaman for more precision tasks.

Ideally I'd have my BK2 and a folder though.

A $300 folder is more akin to a $150 fixed blade, maybe more.
I say that because, as production folder go, you can get a lot for $300 ... like a 4-Max Scout and a spare and a couple SAks.
$30 doesn't get you much of a fixed blade but $100-150 certainly can.
In fact, for $100 you can get a (with careful shopping) a Becker BK-2 or maybe even a BK-9 and not only survive - but maybe wind up building a townhouse project!

With 100 bucks you can get a bk2 and a cheap Mora. I paid I think 85 for my BK2, and you can get a mora with the 15 left over. Not a bad idea...

In a survival situation, I’d take a full tang 30 dollar fixed blade any day of the week over most folders regardless of the price range. As far as options go, Buck offers tons of decent fixed blades in that price range. 420hc may not be a high end super steel, but it is easy to sharpen in a pinch which is a big plus.

i always thought it was interesting that a combat troodon costs more than a spartan TT yet the TT is far more stronger and durable because it has no moving parts. i have lots of folders but i would definitely choose fixed over folding if i had to, luckily i don't have to

Any of my rotation folders are sub 300$ work great. What do need a fixed blade for ?

So ya ... option 1 - folder.
Option 2. Two folders.
Option 3 . A folder.

There are numerous knives that have no issue tackling this problem.

Fixed vs Folder

So here is the scenario: you are undergoing a wilderness survival situation. In that you are trying to camp by yourself in the woods as long as you can with limited equipment.

1. You can only have one edged tool. Your option is you can either spend up to $300 on a folder or $30 on a fixed blade. Which do you choose and why?

2. Or how about this option. What about you can either take 2 folders or 1 fixed blade. Unlike the previous question, value doesn’t matter. Which do you choose and why?

In order to keep us on the same page let’s say the folder has a 4” blade limit and the fixed blade has a 7” blade limit.

why you ask: I am just curious how much you all trust the reliability of modern folders compared to fixed blades. This is just meant to be fun. If this bothers you or offends you in some way, just don’t participate.

1. Cold Steel Recon Tanto for me. The price on most sites is about $40, but with some digging you should be able to find one under 30 bucks. I’m fairly confident I can do most camp activities with this: chopping small branches, batoning (ugh, yuck), bush clearing, sharpening sticks, making tent pegs, and other shelter-related building activities. My preference is a khukuri, but that goes well beyond $40 and 7” of blade in your criteria.

The thing about folders isn’t necessarily that they’re inherently weaker than fixed blades. It’s that they generally require more maintenance. Stuff can get lodged between the scales no matter how careful you are, the knife might refuse to lock because of debris, blood and fluid will leak on the lockbar and leaf spring when you skin game. It’s just asking for a headache.

With a fixed blade, you don’t have to worry about any small or moving parts.

2. Because of the blade length limit, I’d roll with the same knife.

I guess I would take a $300 folder because there aren't any $30 fixed blades that are worth a warm pile of snot. If the question was "of equal value" then I would take a fixed blade. Even if it was a fixed blade for $100 then I would take a fixed blade maybe an ESEE model 6 or a Cold Steel Recon Scout.

A lot of good points. Some people didn’t get it. Yes 30 is not a lot for a fixed blade. That’s the point. Cheap fixed blade (budget steel, sheath, etc) vs high end folder (super steel, solid locking mechanism, etc). Quality fixed vs quality folder would be too easy, obviously everyone would choose the fixed blade. For those of you that said Mora... damn should have seen that coming lol. Cheaters ;)
:) Just IMO : The main reason for a folder , especially a hard use utility / survival type folder is for the convenience of carry and concealment . Maybe social acceptability and even legality in some locales .

Something like the Cold Steel 4 Max folder is plenty strong enough , but is going to be relatively much more expensive and still have the hygiene and maintenance issues of any folder .

I can understand carrying a hard use folder for EDC , but not if you know and are planning on going into a solo survival / wilderness outing . Better a decent large fixed blade (or two) for that use . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:) Just IMO : The main reason for a folder , especially a hard use utility / survival type folder is for the convenience of carry and concealment . Maybe social acceptability and even legality in some locales .

Something like the Cold Steel 4 Max folder is plenty strong enough , but is going to be relatively much more expensive and still have the hygiene and maintenance issues of any folder .

I can understand carrying a hard use folder for EDC , but not if you know and are planning on going into a solo survival / wilderness outing . Better a decent large fixed blade (or two) for that use . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hit the nail on the head. I agree.

I'll take a mora. Easy to clean, not much to break, not much to go wrong, and if it does it's easier to repair.

It's more blade than our ancestors had until well into the iron age and they somehow survived.

Really depends on where this survival situation takes place. But I'd be perfectly fine with a Mora knife and a medium machete, or Silky saw.

Today's folders are well made, quite sturdy and can take some abuse, but they are designed to fold.
When you are outside, nothing is easier to be distracted by whatever happens around you and you accidentally push the lock. So I take this out of the equation.
Another reason for a fixed knife is that it does everything a folder would do, but a folder can't do everything a fixed knife can.

Scenario 1: Decent fixed knife for 30 dollars: Glock Field Knife, Mora Robust, Cold Steel GI Tanto etc. You'll find quite some good and hard to beat knives in that price range.
Scenario 2: I'll take a 7 inch Knife. A BK7 will do everything that needs to be done with pleasure, even delicate work. And if it's too big for something, I'll carve myself something that won't be.

1. You can only have one edged tool. Your option is you can either spend up to $300 on a folder or $30 on a fixed blade. Which do you choose and why?

2. Or how about this option. What about you can either take 2 folders or 1 fixed blade. Unlike the previous question, value doesn’t matter. Which do you choose and why?
Option 1: I would choose a Leatherman Wave.

Why: It has more tools than a single blade folder or a fixed blade.
A multi-tool helps you repurpose things you might find.
Very little wilderess is completely devoid of the trash and debris of modern civilization.
Soda cans, plastic bottles and other plastics (like pvc), or old barbed wire, pieces of wood with nails or screws, etc...all kinds of junk and garbage finds it's way to remote wilderness.
The woodsaw is very capable of felling some small trees or bamboo, or cutting pvc pipe.
The metal file/saw is good for sharpening or shapening or cutting most metals you might stumple across.
The screwdrivers could come in handy (prying things like oysters for example).
The pliers are extremely useful for things like removing thorns, peeling bark, cracking nuts and shells, getting a better grip on something small...pliers are like fire proof, pain proof, little fingers.
Even the scissors are useful for trimming things like an ingrown toe-nail, which if not dealt with could lead to infection and misery and make it very difficult to walk.

Option 2: I would choose a Leatherman Wave and a Vic Forester M Grip.

Why: MORE TOOLS! This combo gives me three blades, two woodsaws, and even a corkscrew should I find a message in a bottle (I wouldn't have to break the bottle, so I could reuse that bottle).

Back