New way of asking an old question

No matter what, I'd take a 4 to 4.5" fixed blade (preferably the latter) and forget the folder. I'd prefer a hatchet and a 4.5" fixed blade. It is all I would really need in a pinch.

Fixed blade every time.
+1 for the Cold Steel GI Tanto.
We’re talking about survival yeah? I know $30 doesn’t sound like much but there are several models that can be found in that range. The Ontario “Hunt Plus” can be found for under 30. My Marttiini Big Bear Skinner (which I use in the kitchen) and came with a hair popping, almost mirror polished edge, was $15.
Compared to even the toughest folders out there, these knives - particularly the GI Tanto - would likely hold up a lot better to constant/hard use.

Last edited:
Fixed blade, obviously. My first reaction, Mora, of course. My Kansbol was $27. Companion HD, Robust. There are models in the $10 range you could consider, 511, 510 Allround. How much would you have to spend to get a folder you would prefer over one of those?

Another candidate for the under-$30 fixed knife is the Cold Steel Bushman. Seven inch blade, light, not quite indestructible, perhaps, but pretty close. You can put a foot or two of handle on it and turn it into an effective chopper or slasher. Then there’s the spear thing, in case your only chance at dinner is to bring home that hog.

fixed all the way

30$ or less?: plenty of Moras/Marttiinis, Ontario hunt plus/butcher, CS GI tanto/Bushman/sale on recon tanto or srk, some carefully selected Taylors (S&W, Schrade), a Condor kephart or bushlore blank are just some, I'm sure there are plenty more under that price bracket that can get the job done.

At that price range, I'd go with a Szco fixed blade. I've never owned one, but I have handled them and they felt quite solid and their quality seems beyond their price point. Here's one of their bowies:

I would like to see a real torture test on one of these knives! :)

I'd take my "Nessmuk Trio":
Axe; Fixed Blade; Sturdy multi-blade slipjoint.

Fixed Blade: Mora Number 1 (carbon steel blade) or Cold Steel Finn Bear (4116 Krupp stainless steel blade)
Reasons:
(a) I already own them.
(b) Either is quite capable of field dressing and peeling game, or cleaning a fish. They are also quite capable of harvesting saplings and other material for a shelter, if for some strange reason I am not permitted to bring my tent.
(c) Both are easy to sharpen, and hold an edge for a reasonable amount of work.
Folding Knife:
This one is a mite harder to pick.
Mr. Nessmuk preferred a moose pattern.
I have a few of the pattern. They are not bad, however, a moose is not art of my normal ("normal" for me) EDC trio: Buck 110 or two blade slipjoint folding hunter on my belt, a large stockman, and a 4 blade scout/camp/"Demo Knife". (Why am I required to surrender the scout/camp/Demo Knife if I choose another folding knife?)
I'd probably choose one of my large (4 inch plus closed) stockmans, for the three blades versatility.

An alternate to my Nessmuk Trio is whatever my EDC for the week of departure is, plus the axe and a pocket cable saw..
(The axe isn't required it just makes some jobs/tasks "easier".)
The Buck 110 or a two blade slipjoint folding hunter can cut/carve/peel/butcher/clean anything the fixed blades can, and with the correct techniques (which do not include batoning), are quite capable of harvesting saplings and materials for a shelter.
The stockman can whittle whatever is needed, from a trap trigger to a spoon to kindling chips and tent stakes.

I'd still like to bring my scout/camp/Demo Knife, or perhaps a SAH Huntsman for the tools. (Huntsman adds scissors and small wood saw)

Some may discount ease of sharpening in the field. However, under your scenario, it is my opinion that sharpening of any knife would be required. That is why I would leave my knives with blades of, D2, CPM154, and S30V home. The most "advanced"/"modern" steel I would consider taking is 440C/9CR18MoV, and truth to tell, I think 440A/7CR17MoV or 425HC (and whatever carbon steel Mora uses, and T10 if I'm carrying one of my Rough Ryders with carbon steel blades, the day the venture starts) and 4116 Krupp are plenty tough enough for whatever comes up, so the 440C/9CR18MoV could probably stay home, as well.

Of course unless accommodation for my mobility issues and limitations are taken into consideration, and exceptions made (for example, I'd need to have one of my rollators (4 wheel walker) to travel about 1/2 mile at most on foot (or 1/4 mile with only a cane or hiking staff) before having to stop and sit for pain in hips and knees to subside to where it is possible for me to take another step) I'd have to stay home, too.

EDIT:
For those who are talking about "hygiene issues" concerning folders (the same issues can be applied to fixed blades, by the way) please allow me to ask you just one question:
Name one thing that is "sterile" or "hygienic" after exposure to the atmosphere?

Correct Answer: "Nothing is."

So long as you wipe the folding knife's blade as you would the fixed blade, it is just as "hygienic" as the fixed blade.

Remember, you can/do get blood and stuff under the guard and grips on a fixed blade that you can't wipe/wash off, just like the joint of a folding knife.

Last edited:
Back