New Wegner ?

GC

I keep hearing talk of an updated Wegner. What are the modifications, and when could we expect those to be availiable?
I have one now and really appreciate it a great deal. I'm thinking very hard of getting either another Wegner, or a Starmate or maybe the C58 JD Smith. This for a daily carry knife as a LEO. Any thoughts?

I carry the Wegner on duty most of the time. It is hard to beat. It is the most ergonomic Sydie by far. The Starmate would also make a good duty knife, but I feel that the Wegner is a better choice. It seems as though some changes being discussed are VG-10 steel and either the new compression lock or at least a liner lock ala the Military. Either way would be a fine upgrade to an already awesome knife. Someone did say that it may be a little while because they still have materials to build the current style of Wegners.

------------------
Dennis Bible

Thanks Shootist,
I've fooled around with several other knives. But can't seem to find the ONE. Now, that's part of the fun, but it's also starting to be bothersome. So many knives, so little time.

For a duty knife, I'd go with adding the Starmate. The Wegner is my undisputed favorite, but if you've already got one, personally, I'd like the variety of two different knives. I find the Starmate blade to be very suggestive of the Wegner.

I have yet to fall in love with my JD Smith. It just doesn't talk to me.

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

Not to throw something completely different in the fire but.....I really like my new Shabaria. VG-10 for steel. Micarta for handles but they are sort of matte (bead blasted) so they don't scratch like my Calypso. It is a very useful blade shape. And the handle is amazing. I was fooling around with it the other day and was surprised to see how useful it would be in the closed position. Kind of like those little sticks people carry around on their keychains (except this one has a 4 inch blade inside). And the Shabaria is easily my most compact 4 inch blade. It makes the Military look huge (closed) and even the Calypso is at least 1/2 inch longer. And in the open position, that wasp waist feels good and would make for excellent retention under stress. It also locks the knife in your hand when you are doing a "pull cut." I love, love it, love it! Once I picked one up I was hooked.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I would really like to find a good Starmate. The four I've been around have all had vertical blade play. Does that seem to be a problem for the Starmates? Makes me a bit uncomfortable buying one sight unseen.
Conversly, my Wegner came from the box absolutely perfect. I've never been able to handle one of the JD Smith's. It looks as if it would fit the job description, but again, without actually handling one...
There are NO stores in my area that carry anything other than Buck or Browning. And those are the high end knives.
I would sort of like to get something different. Just to widen the slowly growing collection.

My Smith is one of the few poorly assembled I've bought (the other was a JSK which has since come good) and so I was kinda dissappointed with it. Just one of the risks living and buying so far from the source.
No such problem with the Starmate - one of my favs - though if it was my work knife I would have opted for part serrated. I don't think you'd be dissappointed if you got one
wink.gif

Back