New Winkler/Zev. Would this bother you?

I just bought myself a Winkler Knives x Zev Technologies collaboration fixed blade for Christmas. It is a beautiful knife and the sheath is too. The blade is 4"+ and made of 80CrV2 with a convex edge. The handle is sculpted G10 in black/red and the sheath is black/red kydex. This collaboaration was limited to 100 knives and I am pumped that I get the chance to own one. I have fallen in love with this knife and I am definitely going to keep it for a long time. However, it took a few days for me to feel that way due to poor machining of the Zev logo into the knife.

The Zev slash marks are drilled/machined straight through the blade. In the pictures of the knife online the Zev logo looks crisp and neat, but on my knife it is sloppy. I am assuming that the drill bit (or whatever was used) jumped and accidentally took off extra material while cutting out the Zev slash marks. You can see what I am talking about in the attached photos.

I was initially mad that I paid $400 for a knife that had some machining issues, but soon got over it. I love the knife and the machining doesn't bother me anymore. The thing is tits lol.

Anyways, I would love to hear your opinions on the matter! Am I just being a nitpicky puss?

9OfBSo0.jpg

9PB27Hm.jpg

5lgGq4O.jpg

japgQLG.jpg

XGt55Sb.jpg

6djyG70.jpg

Sloppy machining for sure I would expect better from a $400 knife, especially a collaboration from well thought of brands/makers.
Yeah, that is definitely what I was thinking too. Was a little disappointed considering this is my first Winkler blade and have heard nothing but 100% positive things about them.

I was in contact with Winkler Knives multiple times this month regarding one of their folders that had some issues, and they were very responsive. I'm not sure what they could do to rectify your machining issues, but I think that if you contacted them directly you would at least be able to hear back from them about what they would suggest you do. The website lists their contacts as: info@winklerknives.com or call 828.262.3691. Good luck. It's a beautiful knife.

I was in contact with Winkler Knives multiple times this month regarding one of their folders that had some issues, and they were very responsive. I'm not sure what they could do to rectify your machining issues, but I think that if you contacted them directly you would at least be able to hear back from them about what they would suggest you do. The website lists their contacts as: info@winklerknives.com or call 828.262.3691. Good luck. It's a beautiful knife.
Thank you for the advice. I am headed to bed for the night, but I am definitely going to contact him about this knife tomorrow.

I appreciate everybody's help/opinions on the matter. Now I feel better about contacting them. I really hate to be that guy to bitch about nonsense, but you all agreed with me...

Thank you for the advice. I am headed to bed for the night, but I am definitely going to contact him about this knife tomorrow.

I appreciate everybody's help/opinions on the matter. Now I feel better about contacting them. I really hate to be that guy to bitch about nonsense, but you all agreed with me...

Hey, sorry to lurk on your thread, but I'm curious if this was resolved at all. That knife is gorgeous. That being said, I'm a novice maker and I wouldn't dream of selling(or gifting) a knife with that kind of imperfection. That's sloppy... the fact quality control passed it kind of boggles the mind considering where it came from.

Hey, sorry to lurk on your thread, but I'm curious if this was resolved at all. That knife is gorgeous. That being said, I'm a novice maker and I wouldn't dream of selling(or gifting) a knife with that kind of imperfection. That's sloppy... the fact quality control passed it kind of boggles the mind considering where it came from.

Honestly, I tried to live with the knife a little longer to see if I would feel better about it, but nope! I couldn't live with it any longer. It is limited to 100 knives, but there are still some available.

I am in communication with Winkler now. I will let you guys know what comes of it. I'm sure I will end up happy in the end with a good explanation as to what happened lol.

IDK how it slipped through quality control from either Winkler or ZEV?

Sorry it took so long to respond and I don't mean to revive a dead thread, but I never got back to you guys. I am super happy for the way Winkler has handled this issue. They have made it up to me. I am keeping the blade because they don't have the ability to produce any more.

They said somehow the waterjet that originally cut the Zev logo from the blank somehow screwed up. They have no idea how it happened and were super cool and honest about it. They have hooked me up with some swag and are giving me a substantial discount on my next purchase from Winkler.

I am very happy with the outcome and pumped to order something custom from them in the future :)

Last edited:
I guess I am the lone dissenter. If I really liked the knife and the imperfection (artistic embellishment) did not create a hot spot It would not bother me. I don’t do display knives, so I am less likely to get hung up on a cosmetic flaw.

I guess I am the lone dissenter. If I really liked the knife and the imperfection (artistic embellishment) did not create a hot spot It would not bother me. I don’t do display knives, so I am less likely to get hung up on a cosmetic flaw.

The fact that it was $400 is why it was bothering me at all. I did end up keeping it lol. Check out my reply above.

definitely a stretch but you don't still have this knife do you? I've been looking to buy one to match the tomahawk
Yes I do still have it. Unfortunately for you it’s in my top 5 favorite edc fixed blades that I own. I carry it all the time and love the red & black handles. As of now I can’t ever see myself selling it, but if that ever changes, I‘ll contact you here before I list it for sale. I bookmarked this page just in case. Honestly though, idk if that will ever happen. Doesn’t hurt to ask though brother. Happy hunting!
krAVR0X.jpg

Yes I do still have it. Unfortunately for you it’s in my top 5 favorite edc fixed blades that I own. I carry it all the time and love the red & black handles. As of now I can’t ever see myself selling it, but if that ever changes, I‘ll contact you here before I list it for sale. I bookmarked this page just in case. Honestly though, idk if that will ever happen. Doesn’t hurt to ask though brother. Happy hunting!
krAVR0X.jpg
You’re not trying to sell it now are you? I was told to email someone about it on another page and they sent the same pictures you’ve got in here to me haha so 99% sure it’s a scam but wanted to make sure

Back