New XM 18 questions

Hey guys. I just got my first Hinderer. An XM 18 3.5 non flipper. At first sight and touch out of box I loved it. Then I started messing with it.

I've read about strong and weak detents. With the very slightest amount of pressure on my lock bar, it depresses detent into hole and gets stuck. This renders thumbstud useless even if your fingers are cleared of lock bar. When you use two hands to open it, it takes lots of effort and you can actually hear it click out of the detent hole. It is very disappointing on a $425 knife. Is this normal? I've not read one story of this even during break in periods.

Next is the edge grind. It is clearly 2 different angles and at the tip it looks like a chisel grind. I'll edit with a few pics shortly.

Is this normal on knives that cost this much?

This one is lock bar sticking in detent hole with no pressure on it

This one is tip. Sorry for the picture, this was the only way I could get it to focus.

Last edited:
I got the same model in the mail today and mine is flawless. The grind is as close to perfect as you can get and it opens fast and smooth.

My XM24 detent is the same way. Luckily mine is a flipper because the thumb studs are useless.

I got the same model in the mail today and mine is flawless. The grind is as close to perfect as you can get and it opens fast and smooth.

It's funny because they told me over the phone when I ordered it that all the detents on their models were perfect. This is a two hand knife. That is far from perfect to me.

Not sure, what you're complaining about... never heard of an XM-18 having too hard of a detent. My XM-18 is absolutely perfect as well. I can open it via the bladestops or flipper and it is very smooth. Every flipper I've owned has had the lock bar slightly (In your words) "sticking in detent hole with no pressure on it" and never needed two hands to open it lmao. I can't help to think you're being over dramatic.

I'd send it back. That grind would bug me and a non flipper shouldn't have a real strong detent though that is definitely odd on a Hinderer

Welcome to the nature of frame locks and flippers. It's a lottery, some a perfect, some have bad grinds, lock stick, late or early lockup, weak/strong detent....No 2 knives are made equal, even at this price point. It's a reality, can be a frustrating one because most people take the plunge into dropping this amount of cash on a knife due to the endless praise of perfection you read in some threads about certain knives. If you arent happy with it talk to the retailer about swapping it out mate, the only way to be 100% happy is to handle your knife before you purchase. Other than that it's a gamble, good luck.

It's more than slightly. Maybe the picture didn't do it justice. When you open the blade and shut it without touching anything, the lockbar sits in its proper position. Slightly in the detent hole. With the slightest pressure it goes deep in the hole and stays. It doesn't pop back out to its normal sitting position. Just removing the knife from pocket depresses it in the hole to the point it takes two hands to open it. I wish you lived closer to handle it. I think you would understand if you manipulated it with your own hands.

It's funny because they told me over the phone when I ordered it that all the detents on their models were perfect. This is a two hand knife. That is far from perfect to me.

I just double checked mine and it's fine. I would send it back if you're not happy.

OP you described it clearly so no need to repeat. It sounds to me a defective xm-18. No frame lock knife, flipper or nonflipper, should have a detent hole that will suck the detent ball so tight such that it would require two hands to open. I tried to press the lockbar of every framelock folder of mine (when the knife is closed) and no one snudges; all would open single handed effortlessly.

Send it back to wherever you purchased it or to RHK. Either way it should be replaced with a normal one and your shipping should be covered as well.

Welcome to the nature of frame locks and flippers. It's a lottery, some a perfect, some have bad grinds, lock stick, late or early lockup, weak/strong detent....No 2 knives are made equal, even at this price point. It's a reality, can be a frustrating one because most people take the plunge into dropping this amount of cash on a knife due to the endless praise of perfection you read in some threads about certain knives. If you arent happy with it talk to the retailer about swapping it out mate, the only way to be 100% happy is to handle your knife before you purchase. Other than that it's a gamble, good luck.

I think I have to sent this one back. I could honestly probably make due with a two handed knife. But that grind. I also have a dealer an hour away trying to get some of these so I will get with them and maybe get to handle a few and get one I'm pleased with. I can handle that grind on my paramilitary 2's, but not at this price point. I had such high expectations.

Not sure, what you're complaining about...

....I can't help to think you're being over dramatic.

I believe he says exactly what he is complaining about......and IMO justifiably so. On a knife that expensive it should be working out of box. 2 handed is not how they are supposed to work. I guess he's being over dramatic about the grind too? :rolleyes:

I'd be sending that back.

OP you described it clearly so no need to repeat. It sounds to me a defective xm-18. No frame lock knife, flipper or nonflipper, should have a detent hole that will suck the detent ball so tight such that it would require two hands to open. I tried to press the lockbar of every framelock folder of mine (when the knife is closed) and no one snudges; all would open single handed effortlessly.

Send it back to wherever you purchased it or to RHK. Either way it should be replaced with a normal one and your shipping should be covered as well.

Thanks alot. I'm going to go that route.

Thanks for the help guys. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too critical before I sent this thing back. I think there is a problem so it's going to have to go back.

Keep in mind these are still production knives and are designed to be used, not fondled. Use the damn thing for a few days before complaining too much, I'm 99% certain that detent will break in properly with use rather quick. As far as the grid is it sharp? If so, no problems there use it and when you need to sharpen you can reprofile. Not making excuses but these are production knives and have production variances, albeit a high end production they're still production, so comparing it to highly inflated expectations or to customs is not realistic. JMHO

Keep in mind these are still production knives and are designed to be used, not fondled. Use the damn thing for a few days before complaining too much, I'm 99% certain that detent will break in properly with use rather quick. As far as the grid is it sharp? If so, no problems there use it and when you need to sharpen you can reprofile. Not making excuses but these are production knives and have production variances, albeit a high end production they're still production, so comparing it to highly inflated expectations or to customs is not realistic. JMHO

I think Hinderer at one point (and maybe still occasionally) drilled the detent hole in the blade a hair too big and it let the detent drop "into" it instead of resting in it. It made the blade very sticky to open - impossible with thumb studs and requiring a lot of effort with the flipper. My 3" wharncliffe does it although I have to squeeze it just right to make it happen so it's not a big problem. I feel like I had another one at some point that was even worse (can't remember which one and I must have moved it on at some point). This is not the kind of stiffness that breaks in with use and I can easily imagine it being unacceptably stiff.

You made a critical logic error: you assumed that a representative of Hinderer would tell you the truth. They obviously didn't.

I have yet to take a brand new Hinderer XM-18 out of the box, and find that it has anything even resembling a 'good edge' on it. But I HAVE taken two new RAT Model 1's out of their boxes, and found them to have extremely fine edges on them.

Hinderer should send a technician to Ontario Knife Co. so they could learn just HOW they put such a fine edge on such a cheap knife. As with the edge quality, the detent 'quality' varies tremendously among Hinderner XM-18 knives, too, IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the "thumb studs" are blade-stops on XMs. They aren't meant to be used to open the knife at all.

It's a flipper knife, and strong detents make for good flippers.

The grind would bother me, though.

Bottom line, if you're not happy, send it back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the "thumb studs" are blade-stops on XMs. They aren't meant to be used to open the knife at all.

It's a flipper knife, and strong detents make for good flippers.

The grind would bother me, though.

Bottom line, if you're not happy, send it back.

It's a non-flipper so the detent shouldn't be quite as strong.

Back