New Zealand Knife import question!

Can I buy this military combat knife from eBay? It is probably China-made. I'm in New Zealand. Is this legal? If it is illegal what will NZ custom react? Will I got in trouble?
Thank you very much.

hkm7-01_2.jpg

Australian here: Double edges are the real barrier to import and the swedge on this could be the killer.
From the NZ customs site:
"Any knife, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade less than 10 cm in length, that —
  • is designed for ease of concealment on the person; or
  • has a double-edged blade that is designed or suitable for stabbing or throwing (as opposed to cutting);"
I'd say this falls into that category and wouldn't risk it.

Double edge blades can be imported into NZ with the correct Police permits. You need to apply for them prior to importation. I believe your local firearms officer could assist you in this.

Australian here: Double edges are the real barrier to import and the swedge on this could be the killer.
From the NZ customs site:
"Any knife, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade less than 10 cm in length, that —
  • is designed for ease of concealment on the person; or
  • has a double-edged blade that is designed or suitable for stabbing or throwing (as opposed to cutting);"
I'd say this falls into that category and wouldn't risk it.
Not sure what the situation is in NZ, the knife you shown is classified as a bayonet, should not be problem for Australia. Mind you, if in Australia you might encounter a Border Force inspector doing those X-Ray inspections of incoming parcels who does not know what's approved.
Believe it or not the hardest part is trying to post them out of China as you are supposed to apply for a Ministry of Public Security police permit, because its a 'Military' product.
https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/weapons
Quote from the bottom of the page
"Single edged and double edged swords as well as bayonets designed to be fitted to a firearm are typically allowed. You can bring in medieval-type swords if they are single or double edged, unless they are a dagger."

Last edited:
Back