new ZT 0630, what were they thinking?

I have a heck of a time trying to open some frame locks by zt. Not all just some. Most though I can't put any pressure on the lock or it wont open easily.

I have a 560 and a 300 and they are both like that, but I don't have any trouble opening them because they don't have a detent anything like this knife.

Try a J shaped movement slightly out and up toward where the tip would be if it was open. It will require decent steady pressure, it loads.
So which direction should I be pushing? The only thing I haven't tried is pushing towards the butt of the knife.

Just wave that bad boy! But as mentioned, any pressure from your fingers on the lock bar while using the thumb disk will inhibit opening.

Try a J shaped movement slightly out and up toward where the tip would be if it was open. It will require decent steady pressure, it loads.

I think we're on the same page. That's the easiest way I can get it to open, I just have to hold the frame of the knife with my other hand to exert enough force to overcome the detent. I have two Emersons and a Benchmade with a thumb disk and I have no problems opening them.

Imagine if the detent were way, way too strong. It's like that, except even more.

If you don't believe your knife can be flicked just like mine, send it to me I will video your knife being flicked from any position with zero wrist. I'll even pay return shipping. I'm dead serious. I'm a criminal Justice major and a member with good feedback.
I have a 560 and a 300 and they are both like that, but I don't have any trouble opening them because they don't have a detent anything like this knife.

Just wave that bad boy! But as mentioned, any pressure from your fingers on the lock bar while using the thumb disk will inhibit opening.

Yep, my 560 is like that. But I have no problem opening it because it doesn't have this monster detent.

I push more straight up where the tip would be when open. It takes nothing to open it. I have checked others in the shop as well and had no problems and they all have wicked tight detents. Don't feel bad as I have seen plenty of people well versed on knives have trouble with this one. Once they figure it out it is no longer a problem at all. Make sure you are not holding it tight and that you are not pushing real hard. If you are tearing your thumb up you are pushing way too hard!

If you don't believe your knife can be flicked just like mine, send it to me I will video your knife being flicked from any position with zero wrist. I'll even pay return shipping. I'm dead serious. I'm a criminal Justice major and a member with good feedback.

I don't need to send it to you, it's right here in my hand. No offense but I don't need you to validate what I can see right in front of me.

Exactly.
I push more straight up where the tip would be when open. It takes nothing to open it. I have checked others in the shop as well and had no problems and they all have wicked tight detents. Don't feel bad as I have seen plenty of people well versed on knives have trouble with this one. Once they figure it out it is no longer a problem at all. Make sure you are not holding it tight and that you are not pushing real hard. If you are tearing your thumb up you are pushing way too hard!

And harry, no offense taken.

That technique works great on my Emersons but not this knife. I can do exactly what you're saying if I hold the frame with one hand and pull like crazy on the thumb disk with the other. When I overcome the detent, the knife flies open like it's going to beat the stop pin to death. ;)

If I put a finger on each side of the thumb disk and pull, while I hold the frame of the knife with the other hand, not touching the lock bar, it still takes a decent amount of effort to open the knife. It's just got a hell of a strong detent.

Approach the thumb disk from the 5-6 o'clock position (if holding knife vertically) and you should be able to easily overcome the detent.

If you're having issues, I'm inclined to think it's your technique before thinking the knife has issues. I know i had to try the 0550 a couple times before i figured it out. The 0630 feels similar...

The short time i had with a 0630 left me super impressed with it and it effortlessly flicked open from the first attempt. I'm actually starting to think it's one of the best knives ZT has put out in years!

PB washer, non-flipper perfection 😍😍😍

If i manage to snap myself out of the midtech and custom silliness, and start carrying normal production knives again, I'll be fully satisfied with a ZT0630...easy choice

I guess sell the knife then lol you start a thread assuming ZT designed the knife with a flaw and when people including a dealer whos personal knife is a 630 and has access too and handles a crap ton of the knife in question tell you it's NOT the knife, you disregard them and continue to blame the knife.

OK man.

To anyone else who finds this thread:

Take the knife apart, take the fine (white) stone from a Sharpmaker and run the tip of it around the edge of the detent hole. Put the knife back together. Enjoy.

I can now at least get the knife to open with a finger on each side of the thumb disk, but now it only takes one hand. I can wear it in from here with normal use.

I guess sell the knife then lol you start a thread assuming ZT designed the knife with a flaw and when people including a dealer whos personal knife is a 630 and has access too and handles a crap ton of the knife in question tell you it's NOT the knife, you disregard them and continue to blame the knife.

OK man.

I don't believe there are any infallible knife manufacturers.

Are you saying your knife is a lemon or all 630 are lemons? People in this thread have told you it opens one handed just fine, so OBVIOUSLY it's not a design flaw. Whitty the dealer confirmed this.

So if your knife is a lemon send it in or return the knife. Complaining YOU can't open it and somehow that makes it a design flaw is silly. The design is perfect.

I don't believe there are any infallible knife manufacturers.

Are you saying your knife is a lemon or all 630 are lemons? People in this thread have told it opens one handed just fine, so OBVIOUSLY it's not a design flaw. Whitty the dealer confirmed this.

So if your knife is a lemon send it in or return the knife. Complaining YOU can't open it and somehow that makes it a design flaw is silly. The design is perfect.

I'm sorry I insulted your favorite knife design? Is that what you need to hear? I think the damage is done here, so say whatever makes you feel better. It doesn't matter to me.

You didn't insult my favorite knife design, you showcased your flawed logic and also your limited ability to elaborate or articulate your position.

Good job.

When you can answer these questions let me know.

How does your very limited experience with the 0630 and your inability to open it constitute a design flaw?

What about the THOUSANDS of others that open the knife one handed just fine? Sheer luck with a bad design?

I'm sorry I insulted your favorite knife design? Is that what you need to hear? I think the damage is done here, so say whatever makes you feel better. It doesn't matter to me.

I didn't want bring out the "we're awesome card" but since that cat jumped out of the bag, we are indeed awesome :D
It just proves how awesome we are. :)
I can easily open it using the disk with either hand...perhaps I just have superpowers. ;)

I have a ZT 0566 flipper that was nearly impossible to open with the flipper when I first got it. After a week or so it got broken in and now after about a month it flips open effortlessly.

I know it's a different knife, but just saying - it may just need some break-in time.

Back