new ZT 0630, what were they thinking?

Be patient...it took me about 2 months of flipping it open as often as I could and eventually broke it in. Also, keep your fingers off the lock bar because it will press the detent against the blade making it extremely difficult to open.

I didn't want bring out the "we're awesome card" but since that cat jumped out of the bag, we are indeed awesome :D

It's the only logical conclusion. :D

The 0630 does have a hefty detent, but I like that.
It sure won't accidentally open in my pocket.

I also like how the pivot can be tightened by gripping the nut with the nails of my thumb and forefinger; I've had folders loosen up while using them in the woods, and it was annoying if I didn't have a torx bit with me.

Agreed on all accounts, the strong detent keeps the blade closed and lets pressure build up for a nice fast launch.
It's the only logical conclusion. :D

The 0630 does have a hefty detent, but I like that.
It sure won't accidentally open in my pocket.

I also like how the pivot can be tightened by gripping the nut with the nails of my thumb and forefinger; I've had folders loosen up while using them in the woods, and it was annoying if I didn't have a torx bit with me.

I'm not sure everyone in this thread understands the dramatic change that they made to the 0630's detent. It used to be typical ball bearing sinks a bit into a smaller divot in the blade. Now it is a cylindrical hole with sharp edges that the detent ball completely falls into. A response like "My 0630 opens fine" or "You're doing it wrong" isn't very helpful if yours is one of the thousands made before they changed the knife.

I can completely close my 195 lb Captains of Crush grip trainer over and over again, but I cannot get a new-detent-style 0630 to open with one hand.

The guy might have a lemon, and some of you Internet experts need to go suck one. I just got done helping a friend with a brand new 808 that came from the factory AFU. It happens, believe it or not.
Carry on..... Russ

Yeah, there's the wave and that's it then. If this is the way it's supposed to work then they should take the thumb disk off the knife because there's no way to exert enough force on it to get it to open. It takes quite a bit of force to open it even with two hands.

Hmm... Sounds like an introduction to Emerson knives is in order. The knife is not supposed to rocket open with the thumb disk if that is what you are wondering. Adjusting the pivot can help, but I tend to leave the pivot on my knives a little on the snug side to prevent the knives from working their way open

While the OP might have been better advised to avoid the implication of a design flaw, it's entirely possible that he got a unit with an unusually strong detent. It happens. There isn't 100% uniformity, even from an excellent maker like ZT. I would send it to ZT and ask them to lighten up the detent a tad. My 0801 s110v was essentially unopenable until I sent it in. It came back perfect.

My 0630 opens very smoothly but I did find rapid deployment with the factory thumb disk to be hit or miss. If I pulled the knife out of my pocket quickly and tried to open it fast, my thumb would not catch under the disk and would instead just slide over the side of it about half the time. With slow presentation this dropped to about 10%. I think the factory disk is too small and I feel this way about the ones on real Emersons as well.

To help the issue I bought an aftermarket disk made from a .44 Magnum case. I made sure to get a rimmed cartridge for the extra lip for my thumb to get under. Now it "misfires" much more rarely and when it does it's usually due to me applying too much pressure to the lock bar (which is a little annoying with frame locks).

Anyway, overall I really like my ZT 630 and I like my Emerson Horseman & CQC-8 better with the aftermarket disks too.

_DSC7931%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsmfdvxwxb.jpg

_DSC7932%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsfa8godbg.jpg

_DSC7934%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsqetgslli.jpg

_DSC7937%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsmlpnbuxv.jpg

Most EXCELLENT pics photodude!!!!
Don't have that particular ZT, but I have 3.....450, that bitch ROCKETS open every time!! 452....flies open, but form is critical. 562.....hardly any detent, MUST load up each time.
It's possible the OP got a tough one.
Joe

While the OP might have been better advised to avoid the implication of a design flaw, it's entirely possible that he got a unit with an unusually strong detent. It happens. There isn't 100% uniformity, even from an excellent maker like ZT. I would send it to ZT and ask them to lighten up the detent a tad. My 0801 s110v was essentially unopenable until I sent it in. It came back perfect.
Very true. I'm not advocating opening the knife if this will void the warranty, but in my case, I had a similar problem with my 620, essentially the same knife in the detent part. I solved the problem very easy: opened up the knife and polished the washers on a very used 2000+ wet sanding paper.
I only rubbed them enough to see a shiny surface, rotating them so the paper will take off equal amounts of material. I used grease to lube them, in my case was Militek 1, usually used by BM in their new knives, but I've used in other knives before TW25, Aeroshell and even Brian Enos's red grease, they all work just fine.
I used very small amount of grease, put the knife together and it works flawlessly It flips with thumb action only, no wrist action, and detent is strong enough to hold the blade solid in place when closed.

My ZT0620 was also difficult to open for me. It took a few tries to figure out the correct angle and how I needed to apply pressure. That being said, I usually push the thumb stud slightly and flick it open. Opens every time.

I like how people assume the user is at fault here, as if they too have handled that very specific knife that he owns (not just another of the same model)

If I told you guys my knife was off-center, you wouldn't question it. Why is the detent being too strong so hard to accept?

OP, you can send it to ZT and they'll fix it for you. Alternatively, depending on the condition, you may be able I just send it back to the seller for a different one.

Back