New ZT Marketing video

I dunno, I mean, it's fine...not like they were butchering pigs or whatever, and I'm glad there was no footage of the 0223. Not a great video, and some cringe-y parts, but it could have been worse.

They’ve identified their target audience, the adventurous male with disposable income.
They’re communicating their brand as premium, so no surprises when you look them up.
Emotion is being invoked.
They’re identifying their flagship products.
It’s simple and easy to follow, as is the tag line, “Experience It”.
The scenes are shot well.

Seems fine to me. Better than “A Real Beast”, “Go Bold” and “Proudly Overbuilt”, IMO.

We can laugh a little but this is classic advertising applied to pocket knives and it's well done. They move between shots of product and idealized shots of men doing manly things. Those shots evoke ideas of success at work and with women. Shots evoke masculine mastery of tools and the environment. The shots including guns not only aim at a particular gear demographic but also evoke the masculine role of protector. Some of the shots are wrapped up in "class" and luxury, like scotch, cigars, and fancy watches.

The one of a guy fiddling with his smart phone in a car was the only real "facepalm" but that's just a fact of the times. It's not too far removed from a glamour shot of me behind my outdated computer with a hot cup of java and threadbare canvas shirt. :cool:

From watching the video, it seems like ZT is getting away from that message and perception of their brand.

I may be alone on this, but I hate that they gutted the Kershaw USA made lineup and replaced it with mostly Chinese low end stuff and made ZT more artsy knives. I bought my first ZT in 2008 or 2009 iirc, a 0500 MUDD. Back then they were rough and tough pocket bricks and a percentage of money from the sales went to veterans I thought. The pocket brick thing was ok though, because I could still get a cool USA made Kershaw that was a thin slicer for a reasonable price (sometimes even with a crazy steel like s110v or zdp189). They have made a few nice Kershaws in the usa since then (m390 link, dividend, knockout, 20cv barenuckle etc.) and I know things change, and that old school kershaws were made in Japan, but I wish they would have just used the Kai brand for the cheap Walmart stuff instead of watering down the Kershaw name to the extent they have.

Rant off...:D

it's cringe worthy to me, trying to be so 'lifestyle' oriented, ... far too obvious and over the top... but then again, I feel the same way watching most commercials for most brands that try to position themselves as 'high end'/type a/top shelf...

They put some effort into the production. It’s a high quality video.

Personally I thought it was pretty neat.

It's like a commercial in a sci fi film.

It also felt very foreign to me. I'm still processing

I am definitively not anymore into the targeting of ZT
It should be tie foretold accept that I have to move away from this brand :).... sad because once I a while they have products that are really appealing to me :)

Back