New ZT?

So I watched the video and I have one question.....what’s up with all of the backside finger flipping? It seems fancy and cute, but what is the reason to accentuate that opening method. Is the daintiness or difficulty of opening it that way meant to highlight the superior build quality that it can be opened so easily in such a manner?

So I watched the video and I have one question.....what’s up with all of the backside finger flipping? It seems fancy and cute, but what is the reason to accentuate that opening method. Is the daintiness or difficulty of opening it that way meant to highlight the superior build quality that it can be opened so easily in such a manner?

Because you can? The same reason you would do that with a Spyderco knife.

You do know it's green, don't you?o_O
LOL I had my screen set to night light mode so it gave it a yellowish tone:oops: Now that I see it in true color, I like it even more than before. Thanks for the dope slap, I needed that:D

Not sure about the answer to your question, but I do like the part where he cuts himself on the thumb closing it, and continues on with the video like a champ! No flipper tab there to catch the blade!

Try it and tell me you don't like it.

Some knives seem to 'want' to be opened that way due to the way it works/sits in the hand. I know I do that with a lot of knives with actuating holes and some with studs in the blade, rather than the thumb opening that's apparently perceived as more normal.

^^^Most of my EDC’s don’t have thumbstuds, so I may have some difficulty. I have a Southard with thumbstuds but they are relatively inaccessible. A few Benchmades, but the Axis actuation seems better. Hinderers don’t work at all.

I wouldn't be so sure, GB is pretty old!

Gayle bradley as a maker isn’t a knife lol. I assumed you were making a comparison to the Spyderco Gayle bradley. The Emerson MV series came before the wave. The original design didn’t have the proud liners from Emerson. I think Zt like what they did on the last Hinderer model and decided to carry it over to this one.

^^^Most of my EDC’s don’t have thumbstuds, so I may have some difficulty. I have a Southard with thumbstuds but they are relatively inaccessible. A few Benchmades, but the Axis actuation seems better. Hinderers don’t work at all.

I prefer a disc to actual thumb studs. If I had to choose, I would always go with a form of opening in the blade is the opening method like the Spyderco hole

It's more of a question as to what opening techniques can be used with this knife.

Not all knives with thumb studs or thumb disks can be opened using a middle finger flick because of the; location relative to handle, or detent strength, or location relative to the pivot, or amount of space between frame and thumb stud/thumb disk.

When you post short 1 minute videos on the web, the best thing to do is show the various opening methods in action, otherwise you will be asked 100 times if it can be opened using x, y or z.

Moral of the story, showing all opening methods in a 1 minute video saves everyone a shit ton of time either asking or answering questions.

Im starting to feel like the grinch; after seeing better pictures and seeing that video , im having a change of heart. Love that blade shape and blade to handle ratio.that carbon fiber w the yellow isn't as bad as I thought either,only the pocket clip, which looks like it was taken from the 920 looks too big for the handle and will make it stick out of the pocket,but I know theres deep carry clips that will work. Now to wait for the price to drop a bit.....

If nothing, this knife is getting a lot of traction on this forum.

I personally do kinda like where ZT is heading with this knife. Seems like its been a while since ZT came out with an everyday beater knife that wants to get heavily used, and this might be ZT's answer to that demographic.

Was thinking about getting a firetac, but that knife is wayy too expensive... But maybe this will be a good alternative, but it is still pretty expensive as well. Might just sit out for now and see if ZT comes out with sprint runs that have better combos (aka no awkward yellow/green) or godforbid some factory custom version of this knife.

If nothing, this knife is getting a lot of traction on this forum.

I personally do kinda like where ZT is heading with this knife. Seems like its been a while since ZT came out with an everyday beater knife that wants to get heavily used, and this might be ZT's answer to that demographic.

Was thinking about getting a firetac, but that knife is wayy too expensive... But maybe this will be a good alternative, but it is still pretty expensive as well. Might just sit out for now and see if ZT comes out with sprint runs that have better combos (aka no awkward yellow/green) or godforbid some factory custom version of this knife.

If ZT gets back into hard working knives I'd consider buying from them again. They need to lay off the ornamentation and focus on their lock interfaces and blade geometries. I'm a big advocate of foundational quality over ornamental quality, if sold for equivalent pricing. I wonder if ZT could be persuaded to bring Andrew Demko over along with a couple of his locks.

If ZT gets back into hard working knives I'd consider buying from them again. They need to lay off the ornamentation and focus on their lock interfaces and blade geometries. I'm a big advocate of foundational quality over ornamental quality, if sold for equivalent pricing. I wonder if ZT could be persuaded to bring Andrew Demko over along with a couple of his locks.

They tried doing the older style “hard working” knives when they did the 0909 Les George collab.

And nobody bought it.

If the CF looks more green than yellow (as it does to me) I'll get one, 3.75 and a nice useful blade shape makes it a good buy, and a thumb disc is a nice change of pace.

I just don't know about ZT any more, i was really disappointed with them this year, non of their designs break any new ground, and its just rehash of old designs one after another ( the so called spring runs).
What happen to the the days of 300, 562,452,055,920, and LEs like 777,999, 454, 606,and 392s??

Its all fine and all to bring out good, sensible and practical designs, but what about some creativity? something to show off your capabilities? i got a bad feeling that the like WE and Kizer have already taken the the position that ZT used to occupied in the production knife world(High quality production knifes that occasionally challenge the mid techs).

I started collecting knives with ZTs, have around 24 of them include a few LEs, now i have stop buying them and i feel ZT have really let their collector customers down...

ZT need to push the envelop a little, how about an Integral? or an OTF(finally settle that little dispute with Microtech:), just imagine a collaboration with the Hawks on a production Deadlock!

Just my 2 cents worth of rant for the day..

My relationship with ZT:

65419049.jpg

Back