Newbie but father is a knife maker

David Kramp

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello all, cool to see a forum like this exists for folding pocket knives. Signed up to get some insight into how to get my dads knives more recognized now that he’s retired from the US Air Force. Some of you may have heard of him. Ed Kramp from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Well, he wants to make knives full-time now. I’d love to keep the old man busy and he’s always had a passion for making quality slip-joint folding knives. Unfortunately, raising a family, military life and bumps in the road doesn’t always make it easy to pursue your true passions in life. Recently, I think I’ve helped get the fire stoked again and hopefully he will have some offerings in the near future. I have my own personal collection from him and recently collaborated on a new knife.

During one visit to his shop I found an old toothpick template and an assortment of rough cut blades. One being the standard clip blade and the other being a spey blade intended for another knife. I happened to lay the pieces out and asked my dad if he had even built a two-bladed toothpick. He said “No, why?” I showed him what I laid out on the bandsaw table and he was taken back by the possibility.

A couple months later here is the knife. I had a buyer lined up but he wanted the first one to be mine. Thanks Dad. Anyways, here is the latest creation from Ed Kramp Custom Knives

Hope you guys enjoy the knife presented and hopefully I can get him to use the computer and get a website up and running soon as well. Enjoy!!! I’ll be happy to answer any questions I can.
- Cheers

Last edited:
You should look into what a knife maker membership would get you in the paid subscription section, for starters. That will allow your father to sell on the forum which should get him a broader audience, if that is what he's looking for.

As a note: You may be teetering on promoting your father's knives to a point of breaking the rules, but I think you're okay as it is. Just make sure you don't post prices or links to where they can be bought within the thread and you should be fine. I think "being a shill" is the term for what they're trying to avoid. So showing the work is fine, promoting for the intent of earning sales is less okay without proper membership.

Here's a link to the rules and a decent description of what the different membership levels mean, including the knifemaker/service provider membership level.
https://bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

With that, welcome and I look forward to seeing you and your dad, around the forum.

https://bladeforums.com/pember/membership-new

Thank you. I tried putting pictures into the text but they didn’t show up. Do the pictures need a link from a photo sharing site? I didn’t see options for photo upload.

Thank you. I tried putting pictures into the text but they didn’t show up. Do the pictures need a link from a photo sharing site? I didn’t see options for photo upload.
As far as I know, yes, you need to attach your pics from a photo sharing site.

B4TSBsYlDvQ

If you have an advanced membership, you can post them straight in!

Copy the url from the photo host site, when you click and open the window to make a comment you will see this20191108_224450.jpg
This is a screenshot of my phone,anyway click the icon I circled, paste the url in the window that pops up. Try that,would like to see the design you and your Dad came up with :thumbsup:

@Chief I searched my dads name and found A mother of pearl sowbelly stockman he made years ago. Do you still own the knife? I mentioned your post to him and I think he has a knife you sent him for repair a long time ago. If that’s the case, hopefully you guys can get in touch.

Last edited:
Beautiful knife with lots of interesting details, especially like the shield. Would love to see more.

Back