Newbie collaboration knife?

I've been reading through the collaboration knife that some of the masters of our group having been working on over the last few years. It seemed like it was an incredible learning experience for that group. I'm interested in doing a Newbie collaboration knife. Let's see what a bunch of us newbies can come up with. Maybe we could donate the finished knife to a returning injured war vet. I have some ideas that could get us started (open to change and suggestions of course). I would suggest the following:
  • We not use our experienced brothers and sisters on this forum as a crutch. If we can't find the answer to our question, that is our fault. Besides, any questions are probably already answered in a thread here someplace!
  • Only newbies involved in the design, and production of the knife. Experienced makers are asked to encourage, but please refrain from making suggestions. Let us surprise you!
  • If you're not yet confident enough in your skills, please still get involved. You could donate material, or use your mind and imagination to help with the design.
  • If you want to be part of the production process, but are afraid of letting the others down, don't be. You'll be surprised by how good your work will be when others are counting on you. You'll slow down, paying attention to details, and will probably do your finest work ever.

Let's begin with the following order of events.
  1. List your desire to be involved here, by responding to this thread. Also, please email me at scottickesknives@gmail.com. Put "Newbie Collaboration" in the subject line, so that I can distinguish it from spam (my companies spam blocker holds up a lot of emails). I'll be able to get it if I recognize the subject. This will allow me to create an email address book so that we can communicate with each other.
  2. Once we have all that are interested on board, we'll begin by discussing design. Forged vs. Stock Removal, Blade type, materials, etc.
  3. Once we have a design we'll begin working out the details of who will do what and approximately in what order this will be accomplished.

Who's with me? The collaboration knife that our friends made is spectacular. We may not be able to produce a knife of that quality, but, we might be able to take more time than they did to finish it :D !

Last edited:
Scott,
If you need any help effing anything up just give me a holler. I'm a friggin GENIOUS when it comes to that aspect of knifemaking!!! I don't mean to brag , but it would just blow your freaking mind!:eek: :D Would be honored to help in anyway you need.
Matt

I'd be glad to help in any way possible - email sent, dude! BTW - this is a really great idea:thumbup:

I'm in. As some of you have seen from my recent pictures, I have gotten halfway decent at forging because that has been what I have done most of........succesfully that is...(I don't count cussing and throwing stuff around the shop as core knifmaking skills....more like unintended consequences....lol) It's the stuff that comes after that has been giving me trouble lately. I call my more recent knives "late term abortions":eek: :D When we get a good list of interested folks, have everyone chime in with what they feel their strengths are. I have a suggestion for a style of knife. Why don't we use the knife for this year's Moran Award and do a spear point bowie?

I'm in. As some of you have seen from my recent pictures, I have gotten halfway decent at forging because that has been what I have done most of........succesfully that is...(I don't count cussing and throwing stuff around the shop as core knifmaking skills....more like unintended consequences....lol) It's the stuff that comes after that has been giving me trouble lately. I call my more recent knives "late term abortions":eek: :D When we get a good list of interested folks, have everyone chime in with what they feel their strengths are. I have a suggestion for a style of knife. Why don't we use the knife for this year's Moran Award and do a spear point bowie?

Wow! This is great. We've got quite a few interested already. I suggest we hold off on the style, means of manufacture and everything until we have the list of strengths and weaknesses of our group. Let's go step by step for now. Everyone use your imaginations for now, like Joe is doing here. We want to keep this as organized as possible, so that we don't get bogged down with ideas flying every which direction. Once we know who's in, and the list of strengths and weaknesses we have as a group, then we'll be able to make some organized decisions about the details of the knife.

Great start!

I want to thank the group that did the other collaboration on this forum. You've got us inspired, and we owe a debt of gratitude to all of you!

Thanks!

i'll be glad to put a scarry sharp edge on when its done or anything else i can help with. i'm not a noob but i have been away from making knives for a while.

This is going to be cool guys! Heck there are people posting here Ive never even seen here before. I cant wait to see what you newbies come up with. Go for it. I really like the idea for the donation to a returning veteran.

This is going to be cool guys! Heck there are people posting here Ive never even seen here before. I cant wait to see what you newbies come up with. Go for it. I really like the idea for the donation to a returning veteran.

Thanks Bruce. You're one of the knifemakers that inspired this idea.

love the idea,i'm an been around em forever,but im an ubernoob..Like to get involved anyway,if you'll have me

I'm a greenhorn too (but I can weld up a mean cable damascus billet... or even better, a cable-in-the-middle san mai billet) - I'd like a piece of the action!

Sending an email, Scott :)

Mike

As the emails come in I'm creating a list of email addresses. I'm creating a file in my computer to keep all of the information (Ideas, concept drawings, strenth and weaknesses, etc). Once we have everybody on board I'll send the email list out to everyone.

Looks like this team is getting pretty full, but I'll pitch in if I can. Email sent Scott.

-d

Back