Newbie collaboration knife?

I really appreciate your willingness to step up to the plate and help me out. I've never been so busy in my life. I really miss my own bed!!

I'm sending a very heartfelt thank you to all of you.

I was able to talk with Jarod Stenoien. He said that he had finished the spanish choils on both knives a while ago and had shipped them to Matt Doyle.

Matt,
Do you have the two knives?

Scott,
I did not receive anything in the mail. Obviously I would have posted here to inform EVERYONE of the status. I'm not sure where they are, but I do know where they aren't.... Wish I could be of more assistance, I'll shoot you an email.
Matt

I'm really upset about this. I don't understand how Jarod could ship the blades and not ever check again. Very unprofessional in my eyes. Whether it's a customer, fellow knife maker, etc. that I ship something to, I always track and verify receipt with that person. I just don't understand how something like this is acceptable in anyone's eyes.

This is one of the problems I anticipated when this project became so big. You can not expect twenty or more people to be involved without disaster. Chalk it up to experience, and move on. Recriminations are not useful at this point.

I am willing to donate a new batch of materials, but the project should be kept to about six people. This in no way reflects on Scott. He did the best possible to keep track of the project, but the mere size got away from him.

How is the hawk doing?

Stacy

Scott,
I did not receive anything in the mail. Obviously I would have posted here to inform EVERYONE of the status. I'm not sure where they are, but I do know where they aren't.... Wish I could be of more assistance, I'll shoot you an email.
Matt

I can make up another batch of blade steel if need-be. It will go pretty quickly with the press here now. It'll just be an afternoon of work. I would ask that we try to stick to shipping methods with tracking information though, it could have helped catch this early on.

-d

OK, we don't seem to have any blades.
I would like to email Jarod and ask him to check around and see if the blades are still laying about. If not, and there is no tracking, then we should start again....with less steps.

If Scott doesn't want to keep track of this ( he is super busy lately), then I will be glad to co-ordinate the work. I think about six to eight folks will be enough to make a first class knife set.

Scott, what do you want to do?
I'll ship some new material to Deker to get things rolling whichever way you want to go.

Stacy

I'll ship some new material to Deker to get things rolling whichever way you want to go.

No need Stacy. I've got plenty of 1084/15n20 around here, I just need to recall the ratio I used to get the patterns right. It may be a couple weeks to get it together, but it'll get done.

-d

This is Scott's baby and I do not wish to step on anyone's toes, but I would like to make a recommendation and see what others think. This project has taken a great deal of time. At present time not everyone involved is at the same place in life as they were when this project started. I'm sure everyone understands that. Sh$T HAPPENS! I'm sure that not one person entered this thinking they would be the guy holding the project up.
All I would like to suggest is that if it is your turn to fulfill whatever role you may have had in this project, and you do not feel you can accomplish it in a timely manner...GIVE IT AWAY!!! There are many here that possess adequate skills to complete this project. If you can't get it done in a reasonable amount of time, please don't be selfish, just offer it to someone that may have more time right now.

Thoughts please???

Matt Doyle

This is Scott's baby and I do not wish to step on anyone's toes, but I would like to make a recommendation and see what others think. This project has taken a great deal of time. At present time not everyone involved is at the same place in life as they were when this project started. I'm sure everyone understands that. Sh$T HAPPENS! I'm sure that not one person entered this thinking they would be the guy holding the project up.
All I would like to suggest is that if it is your turn to fulfill whatever role you may have had in this project, and you do not feel you can accomplish it in a timely manner...GIVE IT AWAY!!! There are many here that possess adequate skills to complete this project. If you can't get it done in a reasonable amount of time, please don't be selfish, just offer it to someone that may have more time right now.

Thoughts please???

Matt Doyle

I absolutely agree Matt. This was started a long time ago... I was the third person in the chain to handle these knives. My task was to rough grind both the Camp knife and the Hunter. After doing both, sent them on to Jarod for the file work. It's a shame these did not make it past Jarod as a few people put in a great amount of work already. I'd like very much to see this get started up from scratch rather than die here...

We'll have to requery the group to see who can do what parts going forward. If someone cannot do the part they signed up to do in a timely manner, PASS IT ON. Much agreed Matt!

Eric

Are we even newbies anymore? I guess if we don't have our JS stamps or our voting membership somewhere, we still qualify.:D

I was discussing this and the possibility of a collaboration project last night. The idea we came up with was to limit it to ten people. Each would have 30 days to complete his/her part. With shipping time the project would take 1 year. Each participant would post upon receiving the knife, post progress, and post a photo upon shipping. There would be little room for confusion this way. If you start again, I suggest something along this line.

Make damascus billet
cut, forge/grind, and profile blade
grind/file in bevels and drill all holes ( if any)
sand to 400 grit and add small details
File work spine
Heat treat and finish bevels. pre-sharpen and test edge
finish sanding and etch . finish sharpening. Final blade surface treatment.
handle
Sheath
Presentation case and engrave blade. Engrave plate for case.

Stacy

Last edited:
If the project starts again, I'm still in to do the engraving. But if the blade is going to be engraved, it has to be done before heat treating :).

That was just a basic time line/job assignment....not specific to this blade project. If there were to be blade embellishment,sculpting or engraving, it would be in the file work portion.

BTW, The final blade engraving on that list was to mark the collaboration project, and would be done with a pantograph.
Stacy

I just left a message on Jarod's voice mail, asking if he had any tracking information on the knives. Hopefully, he'll get back to me.

Was the goal of this to have several Mastersmiths and voting members in the Guild by the time this gets done???

:p ;) :p

Back