Newbie collaboration knife?

Was the goal of this to have several Mastersmiths and voting members in the Guild by the time this gets done???

:p ;) :p

No Nick, we just slowed down so we wouldn't show you up by finishing before your WIP thread is done :D

-d

Apparently...I'm pretty disappointed actually. I was really looking forward to having this finished.

I too am very disappointed. Having had the chance to handle both knives and do the grinding for them, I was really looking forward to seeing the completion.

After all the grief that I got for delaying the process until I had my press properly set up so I wouldn't screw up the big knife in the forging, the is a big bummer.:grumpy::D

That wasn't grief, that was a good old fashioned ribbing! :D I say we just start fresh and chock this up to lessons learned...

That wasn't grief, that was a good old fashioned ribbing! :D I say we just start fresh and chock this up to lessons learned...
Well, since we have all gotten better in the ensuing years, perhaps we should try for something a bit more complex as far as the damascus pattern and the fittings. We could call it the "not so newbie" collaboration:D

Well, since we have all gotten better in the ensuing years, perhaps we should try for something a bit more complex as far as the damascus pattern and the fittings. We could call it the "not so newbie" collaboration:D

I'm all in for that!

Geez Joe, I COULD have done a more complex pattern, but I was considering the durability of drifting a 'hawk eye at the time. Twist is the least likely to delaminate on you when split/drifted... :)

-d

Geez Joe, I COULD have done a more complex pattern, but I was considering the durability of drifting a 'hawk eye at the time. Twist is the least likely to delaminate on you when split/drifted... :)

-d

I was thinking (admittedly an inherently reckless undertaking) that maybe this time, we should just stick with a pair of knives and skip the hawk.

I am going to speak out on my observations about where this went wrong:

In the beginning it was a simple newbies project to make two simple knives and a simple hawk......"The votes are in.....and the team has decided overwhelmingly on a Hawk/Camp/hunter combo!.......(Quote from post #81, Scott)

The materials were provided to make these simple mono steel knives and a wrap style hawk with a wrought iron head and a carbon steel bit. The wood was from Bill Moran.

Then the project started getting more complex, with the "Hey, lets do this" and, "Hey, lets do that", and, "Can I join"....etc. It quickly evolved from a simple project by a handful of makers to one of huge proportions, and frankly, somewhat beyond newbie skills. It became so convoluted that it eventually collapsed and destroyed itself.

If you want to re-start this project as it was, I would take a good look at my advise on post #595. Keep it small...keep it simple...keep it doable.

Stacy

Back