Newbie Looking For Help

Hi,
I look forward to getting into this new hobby, but am having a lot of trouble looking in the right places for what I'd like to know. Does anyone know where to look for the best info on collecting automatics in CT? I've looked in many places on the web and find a lot of info, but it seems to be contridicting in many cases. I'm not in the military or any other government job. I'm just a retired 55 year old who wants to collect some automatic knives. Some of the info looks like they are totally illegal to manufacture, sell or buy. Other places talk about interstate mail being illegal, but thay can be shipped by private carrier? I'm very confused. I may be a dealer some day since I'd like to replace the scales on some like the S&W 1230, Boker or even Bucks with thinks like black onyx, etc. I did find (I think) that in CT they if over 1 1/2" blade they can not be carried unless you get a special permit for dangerous weapon. I can't seem to nail down something that says I can own them in my home. So I apprecaiet any help either here or privately. Thanks - I look forward to any help and being a good member of the forum.

------------------
Fran (CT)

Welcome to the forums. Automatic knives are illegal to ship across state lines (no matter what carrier, including your vehicle), unless you are one of those select few who qualify (law enforcement or military, buying for job-related purposes). Of course, lots of people buy them anyway, kind of like speeding, or something, where you know it's illegal, but do it anyway. In general (I don't know CT laws), if you can obtain a knife in your own state, and keep it in your own home as a 'curio' (not just tossed in a drawer), you are not breaking any law. Also, unless a search warrant for 'weapons' is issued, and you don't invite and law enforcement personnel to your home, even if the knife was illegal to have there, nothing could happen to you. You might also try posting this in the 'Automatic Knives' forum under 'General' for more specific information.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Usually you can bring up state codes in your state .Start at concealed weapons and work from there. The reason I say concealed is most stes list ALL illeagle weapons there. In VA. 18.2-308 says auto's are illeagle EXCEPT for police,fire,ems,COLLECTORS,on your private property even if it's on your person, etc. etc.OR you can go to your local magestrate and by law they must supply you with a copy of the specific law at no cost to you. Dave

Back