Newbie to AKTI

Please advise me to the reasons for becoming a memener of the AKTI. I am all for our rights as citizens, but what can the AKTI do for preserving that right? Please explain. Also...what are the fees, rules, secret handshake, etc?

DPS

------------------
David P. Sproles
Eagle Scout Class of 1988
dps2970@hotmail.com

Sproles,

AKTI can only do as much as we committ to do for ourselves.

AKTI needs us to PARTICIPATE in order to preserve our rights. Legislatures will look at AKTI's Membership numbers to assess it's importance to them.

AKTI needs us to participate in programs designed to educate people about knives and their responsible use.

AKTI has already worked closely with the California Attorney Generals and Legislature to protect our knife rights in that state.

The membership is $35.00 per year for an individual. Considering the prices we frequently pay for quality knives that is a bargain.

------------------
AKTI Member No. A000370
Email: DouglasSctt@Netscape.net

AKTI is an association made up of all aspects of the knife industry. Our challenge is to protect the utilities knives offer in our day to day society from being eliminated by restrictive knife possession laws. We are doing that through 4 key goals.

to provide a speaking voice recognized for the knife industry. this makes it easier to stand before a state legislature and testify for our entire industry.

to promote a public awareness of knives as tools and not as weapons. if we outlawed everything that could be used as a weapon you can see how ridiculous that would be. we want to play a part in decided where that line will be drawn.

to work with law enforcement, cooperatively and not in an adversarial mode, to limit or eliminate possession laws wherever possible.

to reach out to young people with the same message in goal two. that knives are a benefit that can be misused.

We are working with california to monitor a possession law. AKTI is spending about $40k to ensure that one hand opening knives remain legal to possess in this state.

I do not have a recent update to share but the process was moving right to schedule about 2 weeks ago.

Why to join AKTI?

How could you not. If public perception leans towards the position that knives are only weapons and anyone carrying a knife is a lunatic then look to Britan or Australia to see where we will be in a few years.

More info on AKTI is on the website.
www.akti.org

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.
AKTI Member #PR00003

Sproles,

A lot of people--AKTI members in particular--sounded off on "Why join AKTI?" in a recent contest held by AKTI. To see these posts, check out the following link:
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/000066.html

------------------
Guyon
AKTI Member #A001044

"The hardest knife ill used doth lose his edge."
-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

When the idea of forming AKTI came about, I attended a gathering of knife people at the SHOT Show, representing a knife magazine at the time. Later, I attended another meeting at the Blade Show. That was a few years ago. Later I called the AKTI office, left a message, and weeks later I received a polite reply. During all of these years, I NEVER received information on what was going on with AKTI so I could publicize their meetings, or anything. DITTO the Knifemakers Guild; they seldom ever sent me information on their shows, activities, etc., over a 14 year period. The American Bladesmith Society, the Professional Knifemakers Association, and many state associations, were always in tune with what's important; they sent me information for use in the magazine. Buck Knives' representatives in the California capitol not only sent me information, they (Chris Micheli) wrote articles for me on California anti-knife laws.
What I am saying is, any organization that deals with the public and law makers should be happy to work with others who can spread the word for them. Evidently, some of these groups don't need this help.

>>to promote a public awareness of knives as tools and not as weapons. if we outlawed everything that could be used as a weapon you can see how ridiculous that would be. we want to play a part in decided where that line will be drawn.

If we are going to ban anything at all, then it is rather simple as to what should and what should not be banned. If a knife has any usefullness at all, as a tool, then we do not, as a society have any right to ban it, because we then put a restriction on something that people need to survive. As you say, we can not restrict something, JUST becasue it can be used as a weapon, rather if we are going to place restrictions, then we should limit it to items that can ONLY be used as a weapon.

I believe we need to educate people, esp. our young people that a tool can be used to build, create, even to bring about healing. We should not tear down, or destroy in anyway. Nor should we do harm to others, rather, we should do good all the days of our lives, and learn how good can and does always overcome evil intent.

The problem about the education of our young people in the right and proper use of a knife or any sharp tool, is that a lot of adults are pretty stupid about how to go about educating them. We live in a society where there is a great deal of wealth, and the result is, many people depend upon their money for survival. They do not learn how to use a knife, but they hire people to use a knife for them. To butcher their meat, or to build their home, make their clothing and so on. So, they do not know how to begin to train the young people in how to properly use a tool we need for survival, because the only survival they know is to hire someone to do everything for them.

The problem is, the people who are being hired to do the work, need tools to get the job done, and the people who have the money to hire them, are to stupid to realize that they need the right tool to get the job done. They want a paramedic to be there for them, when they get into a accident, but they do not want him to carry the knife he needs to cut the seat belt to rescue them.

Young people need to learn that a tool can be used to build, create, rescue, save, heal and deliver people from danger. We need to teach our young people that they are not to do any harm to others in anyway. In fact, those who tear down and destroy, will in the end, be destroyed themselves. We can not do this by banning knives. What we need to do, is ban ignorance. We need to begin with the ignorance, of those who are creating laws. People who are ignorant of tool in general, and see everything as a potential weapon. Because if they view it as a weapon, then that is the message they are sending our young people, that it's a weapon, and in effect, they do more harm, by putting a ban on it. Rather they need to promote programs showing our young people the proper and safe use of a knife.

The court system spends so much time trying to establish if they were guilty of ownership of a illegal item, so they spend no time dealing with the improper use of that item, and the ignorance the young person used in the improper use of the item. Ignorance generated by a legal system, that promotes these knives as being evil, and does nothing to educate people in their proper use.

So, the bottom line is, don't ban tools that we need for survival. Rather ban ignorance, stupidity, and evil intent. Institute programs to teach our young people their proper use, and how to use them for good.

Thanks, JohnR7 WWW.BalisongKnife.Com

Back