Newborn son, new long-time knife wanted

I searched the forums for a thread like this and did not find one, so apologies if this is old ground. My wife and I just had our first child, a son, this past weekend. I want to get a new folder to commemorate it. It should be engrave-able with his name and birthdate. I plan on keeping it forever, unless I give it to him, so budget is pretty high ($500). I am currently thinking I should call CRK and ask then what they can do for me, but I do already have a small carbon fiber insingo, so I am willing to look elsewhere. Any feedback welcome. It should be an EDC or gentleman's folder, no more then 3.5 inch blade and under 4 oz.

Jeff Harkins' books are open at the moment. Since your son was just born, you have quite a while to present it to him. The price range is higher than your budget but as it will be a couple of years, perhaps more until the knife is completed you will have plenty of time to accumulate funds.

There have been other similar threads in the past. But who cares really? I think you are on the right track. I think fixed blades give you more options, but certainly any metal handled folder could be engraved nicely as a keep sake. I think a 1 oz gold coin or a proof silver eagle would be kind of cool as well with the correct minting year of course. I started doing proof silver eagle coins with my nephews when they were young as christmas presents versus getting them a savings bond which I find rather boring. Actually buying savings bonds would be a great choice over time. My Dad was a big buyer of them and when he died, he litterally had 50K+ invested in them in his children's names (and his of course). The old ones had no maturity date and could be kept for many years. Now you would buy new ones and re-invest periodically.

This is a top contender, though I would like to personalize the knife.

I'm pretty sure CRK can engrave it for you. If not, you could take it/send it to someone that offers engraving services. Someone might even offer that service here on the forums.

Back