Next batch on deck

Iz I'm fairly new to the forum and your knives in particular. I've got to say that I've been missing out! I don't know that I've seen a better "combination" of knife/sheath/packaging. Now the most difficult part is determining a pre-order. I can justify a use for every model you make! :D :D

I know where your comin from Dave! I was really torn between the Green River and the modified Dogwood myself. I went with the modified Dogwood, and now it's just the waiting time.

The Model 1926
5396488910_7dc0fea8cc_z.jpg

5395891195_22b8af9c19_z.jpg

What manner of idiot would order a deep pouch sheath for that knife? :eek: Oh... Uh.... wait a second... :eek::D:p

Nicely done sir. I'll be glad to lay hands on it. The others are really nice too but that one... :thumbup:

-JP

Iz I'm fairly new to the forum and your knives in particular. I've got to say that I've been missing out! I don't know that I've seen a better "combination" of knife/sheath/packaging. Now the most difficult part is determining a pre-order. I can justify a use for every model you make! :D :D
Thanks, Major. I appreciate the kind words.:thumbup:
What manner of idiot would order a deep pouch sheath for that knife? :eek: Oh... Uh.... wait a second... :eek::D:p

Nicely done sir. I'll be glad to lay hands on it. The others are really nice too but that one... :thumbup:

-JP

I agree with Mike, Joel. Good choice.:thumbup:
Iz

This week so far has been pretty unproductive. Mostly I've been shoveling snow.
But I managed to get a few cut out, profiled, drilled and rough ground. Hopefully heat treat tomorrow.
5412610196_3fed2c2154_z.jpg

Iz

Got quite a bit done today. Finished ground and heat treated the whole batch.

5414503935_0821297608_z.jpg

5414525207_8ed890f712_z.jpg

Got the handles on these finally. The machete has dark brown canvas, one salt creek has jade g10 and he other has osage orange.
5415115182_d003887b8b_z.jpg

And I knocked the scales off of my gasconade prototype to get it ready for new ones. I busted the back by beating on it with a stick.:eek:
Plus I got mostly done with another project that I can't show until it's done.
Thanks for looking,
Iz

Thanks, guys.:thumbup:

Got the handle scales ready to go today
photo

I know that picture doesn't look like much work went on to get them to that point but actually this part is one of the more time consuming parts of making knives in bigger batches.
I gotta cut 'em out, flat each piece (laminate handles have four pieces) clean 'em up and then glue and clamp them.

Here they are glued up and ready for the next steps.
5417746392_0c635c2355_z.jpg

After this they'll get a quick flatting again, drilled for pins, pins cut out and champhored , fronts contoured and sanded and then glued up.

I also got some of the shaping on the these three knives done today.
5417137995_33c70d5246_z.jpg

Oh, and I did a small batch of psks today.
Thanks for looking,
Iz

Yesterday I got back on this batch after getting all the psks done and sent out.

Four ready to be marked, wrapped up and ready to get the handles on.

5429778574_6827afb130_z.jpg

The hidden tang probably won't be finished this go around.

Today:
So......pretty much all I got done today was finishing the Niangua.:28:
From heat treat scale on the blade to finished blade it took a little over five hours.:56:
5432029043_706efc6516_z.jpg

That's just way to much time on one knife when I've got a ten months wait list going.
So I've decided that I'll no longer offer the mirror polished bevels from here on out. Well sorta. I've got a few on order to make yet that will still have the mirrored bevels. And I do still offer it technically. I've just upped the price for the option so high that hopefully no one will want to pay it.:8:
I would just discontinue it all together but I know as sure as the world if I only announce it at the top of the quote page what will happen. Someone will order one, not read the announcement and then want to chew me out when they get their knife without a mirror polished bevel. So there you have it, a proactive approach.
Iz

Not trying to start in junk here but why would you want a polished edge on a bushcraft knife? B/c I know that noone out there is doing a Turley the injustice of being a safe queen. If you are give me a holler and I will rectify that for you! These knives are made to be used! Just thought I would put that out there its just my opinion which aint much count. I can understand a polished edge and I do usually put those on with a strop but the whole bevel. Man that would take hours (apparently about 5 ;)) that would get messed up the first time you use it.

Nice polished edges and bevels take time. A whole lot of time as a matter of fact. I totally understand where you are coming from.

Not trying to start in junk here but why would you want a polished edge on a bushcraft knife? B/c I know that noone out there is doing a Turley the injustice of being a safe queen. If you are give me a holler and I will rectify that for you! These knives are made to be used! Just thought I would put that out there its just my opinion which aint much count. I can understand a polished edge and I do usually put those on with a strop but the whole bevel. Man that would take hours (apparently about 5 ;)) that would get messed up the first time you use it.
The mirror finish was my idea, I like the look of having he bevels mirrored and the rest satin finished. But you're right, it'll get messed up right off the bat. It used to be standard for this model but from here on out it'll be an option.

Nice polished edges and bevels take time. A whole lot of time as a matter of fact. I totally understand where you are coming from.
Thanks, Ban.
I love the work you do.:thumbup:

Iz

Got the second Missouri sanded, marked, wrapped and scaled and I scaled the cooper's creek today.
5437672348_c9c71cb9f2_z.jpg

5437062983_86a2d39f2e_z.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Iz

5443127041_b21f70c0d8_z.jpg

This batch is done....at least the knives are, sheaths still to come.
Lord willing I'll have pics tomorrow.

Iz

Back