NFNO Initial Impressions

Hey Guys, It's been a while since I posted here, and just as long since I bought a new slice of bacon... but it happened, and here it is... and I am very happy. The edge is keen and relatively acute, the grind is high, and the geometry is truly perfect for this size field knife.

Factory edge...

zGlFKygl.jpg

And now this twisty, gnarly, section of seasoned gum... well, I think it's gum--that's what my neighbor said it was... it's been in the SoCal sun for quite some time, it's dry and very hard

FHi3h0Kl.jpg

And that was waaaay too easy...

Oj1gGHjl.jpg

though it did put up a fight...

Khg3NUHl.jpg

RyPQE6el.jpg

But in the end, the NFNO prevailed...

cTtnNSil.jpg

No sign of slowing down...

qP0TWeSl.jpg

So I love the nano fusion handle; I wear large to xl gloves, and I have long and fairly wiry fingers. The fusion handle of the Battle Mistress BG was comfortable, but this one suits me better. The overall size, balance, and grind of this knife really hits the sweet spot for me... I won't mind hiking with it, and it's big enough to handle camp chores, but not so big that it gets in my way.

Truly an excellent field knife! :thumbsup:

Busse. Knives you swear by, not at. It's good to see a grail getting some work done. It reminds us all why we buy these exceptional knives. Sweet score, man!

I really like my nuked NFNO, and the handle fits my hands perfectly. I kind of want a second one of these in combat grade and micarta instead of the black G-10 as a user.

https://imgur.com/LpAliUD

Last edited:
Thanks! Funny thing is, I’m stripping it as I write this. I’ll update this thread when I’m done, posting the post-strip results and more use pics/ commentary.
Thanks for sharing! I have a sage/tan canvas NFNO, that is going to be a user. I have thought about maybe stripping it too. I would really appreciate more pics after the strip. I love the feel of that canvas Nano handle. Bet the tan will look great with naked INFI!

Thanks for sharing! I have a sage/tan canvas NFNO, that is going to be a user. I have thought about maybe stripping it too. I would really appreciate more pics after the strip. I love the feel of that canvas Nano handle. Bet the tan will look great with naked INFI!

Cool--I'm sure it will make a great user. So far, I etched the logo, stripped just the blade, and hand-sanded the decarb. I only sanded for a short while--too many other things to get done... went from 150, to 220, to 400 grit, then a quick once over with a 1500 to smooth things over. Man, I touched up the edge... and it was screaming sharp in no time. I'll likely sand it more over the weekend; not sure if I'll end up stripping the whole thing... it's just easier to maintain it this way. I like naked steel if I do food prep. Here's a pic of my progress... it's with my 'possibles' pouch and a sheath originally meant for a Tops Tracker. And--for what it's worth, the NFNO throws sparks really well off a ferro rod.

eDOn8bsl.jpg

Do it! I stripped my very first Busse - a muddy and tan Micarta ASHBM - and it was a fantastic looking combo. I would post pics, but she is off with Josh at REK for a treatment.
And yeah, I have a canvas (maroon) Micarta handled NFBA and yeah, I love that combo, too!

I unboxed a BIG Satin NFNO this week, from an exchange purchase... what a wonderful knife! I have a ceracoated SFNO I've been trying to strip and clean for 2+ years. The NFNO might just replace that knife! I convexed the edg, stopped her and she's ready for some action! She might replace my FSH as my everyday truck knife! Anyway, thanks for the review! I agree 100%

-Will

I unboxed a BIG Satin NFNO this week, from an exchange purchase... what a wonderful knife! I have a ceracoated SFNO I've been trying to strip and clean for 2+ years. The NFNO might just replace that knife! I convexed the edg, stopped her and she's ready for some action! She might replace my FSH as my everyday truck knife! Anyway, thanks for the review! I agree 100%

-Will
Cool brother, glad to hear you like it. I just took it camping this past weekend, and it handled everything, was easy on my belt, and just was a pleasure to use. I’ve had some Busses that were ground a little too thick for woodcraft, but this one is pretty close to perfect, as is. Generally, I’ve found that a ~6” blade is about perfect for hiking and camping. This one is a total winner. The only thing I’d change, is that I’d have the edge come all the way back to a small sharpening choil. The nano fusion handle is all I need to get work done. Enjoy yours!

Back