"Nice" Knives made anyone else a knife snob?

Funny, but I hope that you are joking. Where is the fun in your life?
Nope, not joking. I haven't bought a new knife in a couple of years. My fun in life does not have to come from constant purchases of new things. Been there, done that. I have enough to last me multiple lifetimes.

The Sebenza sets the standard for quality manufacturing. I have aquired many of the most popular knives in my journey along with most of the newer super steels and it's been a ball. Having done all this over the years I've actually regressed back to where I started over 45 years ago with a Buck 110 back on my belt with a 154CM blade.No pocket clips to get hung up,no pivot screws to adjust and riding in a belt sheath frees up pocket space . The 154CM easily sharpens and strops to a surgical scalpel like edge. Crazy as it may sound, that's where I'm at today but the " journey " continues. ;):)
ibohc5Q.jpg

I would submit for your consideration that you already were at least enjoying higher-grade knives when using the Spyderco knives. You were spending more than I would guess most of the knife-buying world was spending on a cutting tool for the pocket.

Snob has a negative connotation, whereas being aware of higher quality or striving to experience more exotic materials be that blade steel or handle scales etc., just means you have more experience and can appreciate the higher quality.

Without the really cheap knives you likely owned previously, you might not have been able to fully appreciate the higher quality knives you can now afford yourself.

I know that I have gained an appreciation for the better-built low-cost knives through experience with the higher-cost knives I have owned or own.

Part of being a knife hobbyist in my opinion.

Congratulations on your CRK.

best

mqqn

I wouldn't use the word "snob", but higher end knives have helped teach me what I personally like and dislike in a knife.

I've carried a Native for YEARS, PM2 too, and many other various knives, and have loved them. I finally threw a few safe queens on ebay and got my first CRK Sebenza 21...and now EVERY knife I hold feels cheap, not solid, and generally has been kicked out of my pocket.

Anyone else get their first "nice" knife and instantly, those users who have been with you through thick and thin...no longer find themselves being carried? I never though the CRK bug would bite me so hard! lol.
Said in the tone of voice of a crotchety old fart (which comes distressingly easy for me) :
I don't know about no new fanggled "Sebenza" (City Slicker knife if you ask me) . . .
The revelation for me has come in the form of geometry and alloys and heat treats.

I cut a fairly good cord for a customer the other day; it wasn't 550 but about like that. The knife hadn't been sharpened for months, is my EVERDAY work knife now for all winter. Mirror polished natch.
I started to pull to cut the cord and it just went through it like it had just been sharpened that day and no effort. I had to cut the other end loose and DANGED IF IT DIDN'T DO IT AGAIN while I was paying attention. I mean just literally like butter.

M4 with perfect heat treat in a Para 2.
I don't know about hand feel and close pivot part tolerances and super duper fit sup . . .
. . . although the fit sup on this Para totally pleases me the way it swings, locks and closes . . .
I DAMB SURE know what cuts . . . . and what makes me shake my head and put it back down.

I think Spyderco and Busse did ruin me.

As for Sebenza's, they're nice but not nice enough for me.
No ergos, silly Idaho stamps, and a few other things that kept me from pulling the trigger at 2 am on several occasions.

Anyone else get their first "nice" knife and instantly, those users who have been with you through thick and thin...no longer find themselves being carried? I never though the CRK bug would bite me so hard! lol.

Nope. I've spent more than 5 decades carrying users, too many years not to know that the users will get the job done; and "getting the job done" is why I carry a knife. I have some nice knives, but they are just part of the rotation.

But if a single nice knife does it for you, then go for it.

I still like my grey frn delica, although my wife took it from me and i have to carry my nicer knives.
That's awesome.
I think I remember you saying that this actually happened (that she likes and uses the knife), which makes it all the more.

It's OK, I think I am immune by now. I have all of the knives I need or want.
We have this little support group.
Just a small group.
We focus on getting over this deplorable affliction,
(well the physician in charge calls us a pack of enabling hyenas but for the most part we leave him tied up in the closet (if you turn up the Slayer enough you can hardly hear his cries).
We only bring him out when the postman arrives . . . or unboxing day as we call it. We let him watch. I've even seen him lunge against the leash a couple times with a greedy look in his eye. He now denies it.)
Shall I save a chair for you ? Buy more cold cuts and beer ?
. . . you'll beeeeeeeeee there :D

I have all of the knives I need or want.
:):rolleyes: me too, only a couple of basic inexpensive slip joints so far this year . . . two whole months;):)

Nope. I've spent more than 5 decades carrying users, too many years not to know that the users will get the job done; and "getting the job done" is why I carry a knife. I have some nice knives, but they are just part of the rotation.

But if a single nice knife does it for you, then go for it.

Good post. I agree.

I think that for some of us here, there are still lingering thoughts that knives are tools, whether it be a SAK or a machete, and the voices in our heads see them that way. That doesn't mean that we don't appreciate great materials and craftsmanship and especially the blending of the two. To me, it is like buying a $10K watch when you know that a $65 Casio wiil keep better time. (So says my international pilot buddy that wears his Breitling when it can be seen, and his Casio when flying!)

I think different attitudes come from generations of people and their knives. If I had been "flicking" my knife and my Dad had seen it, he would have taken it from me while angrily telling me "that's not a damn toy". It was nailed into my head that a knife was a tool, not a toy. When not in use, it stayed in the pocket. Since I used my knives every day at work as a carpenter, I never thought of knives as man jewelry. To this day, a knife has to go to the job and do well for me to like it and I am not interested in decorations and avant garde designs.

As mentioned above, I am happy to see a knife in anyone's hands these days. You would think that in construction that everyone would have a good knife in their pocket, but it is probably less than 10% of the guys in the trades that carry one on a routine basis. I don't care what they carry (especially if they don't ask to use my knife!) as long as they havea "tool knife" that they can use and appreciate. I sharpen their knife and oil them up from time to time and it makes them happy.

Strangely, the only time I get bit competitive when it comes to knives is with the very few knife guys I run into. We talk steels and their use, ease of maintenance, durability, and from time to time the "cool" factor. Warranties come up, as well as a manufacturer that will put your knife right if you really screw it up. Never had that conversation once with anyone that carries less than $75 knives. I swear though, it seems that some of the guys that I know that only own 3-5 knives love and prize their knives much more than guys that have a shoe box full of $200 knives.

No snobbery here unless the knife in question is a real piece of dangerous junk.

Robert

Ero2,
Nah . . .
Moslty I'm fooling around.
It is just a matter of time before I own a Sebenza. They are great and I do really, really like Ti handled knives.
. . . just a matter of time. :) :thumbsup:

OH and PS: I AM a city slicker.
though I do channel Merle Haggard from time to time; I don't know what tha's about.

Last edited:
That's awesome.
I think I remember you saying that this actually happened (that she likes and uses the knife), which makes it all the more.
I took it couple times from her and now she hid it lol. Makes me want to buy s30v delica. Think Canadian border patrol won't be able to say that one is an automatic weapon. Although i know a guy in knifestore can shake that one out, but he is too skilled.

whereas being aware of higher quality or striving to experience more exotic materials be that blade steel or handle scales etc., just means you have more experience and can appreciate the higher quality.

Without the really cheap knives you likely owned previously, you might not have been able to fully appreciate the higher quality knives you can now afford yourself.

I know that I have gained an appreciation for the better-built low-cost knives through experience with the higher-cost knives I have owned or own.

Part of being a knife hobbyist in my opinion.
A great hobby.
One I can take into my day, most days, and participate in and enjoy.

You would think that in construction that everyone would have a good knife in their pocket, but it is probably less than 10% of the guys in the trades that carry one on a routine basis. I don't care what they carry (especially if they don't ask to use my knife!) as long as they havea "tool knife" that they can use and appreciate. I sharpen their knife and oil them up from time to time and it makes them happy.
Poor lost souls. If it weren't for high quality tools I would go nuts. CERTAINLY what I do with them no longer inspires me. When did the world get so oblivious to quality and the finer things . . . meaning basic essentials made well ?

Here's to CRKs even if I don't own one.

Anyone else get their first "nice" knife and instantly, those users who have been with you through thick and thin...no longer find themselves being carried?
Nope, not really.

I have 'nice' knives and cheap knives. I use both at various times.

I have for a while now used the affordable Teräva Puukko 110 for when in the woods.
LPCSfHm.jpg

It may be a cheap knife and ugly as sin (or at least plain) but it does stellar work.

Pretty much bombproof to boot.

BMGHBtZ.jpg

As a matter of fact, Ive just spend a couple of days in the woods with the hammock, which I often do.

Qzu5es3.jpg

The 110 made kindling, whittled sticks, opened food items, prepped food and cleared brush for setting up the hammock.

U61etN0.jpg

Ive used the cheap Puukko for a while now - couldnt be happier.

AHulHe0.jpg

Ironically, my homemade modded beard axe, that I also had brought, is even cheaper than the already cheap Finnish Puukko.

ZZxe3X8.jpg

Though dirt cheap (the cheapest, Ive seen for a while), it also works just fine.

xwilzU1.jpg

I have several other axes and hawks - amongst them a wonderfully balanced and executed custom beard axe made by a knifemaker friend to my specs. It chops through wood like theres no tomorrow but I left it at home this time around.

You might be able to spot a red thread in this post:)

N3ropyo.jpg

Backup knife was a modded Mule MicroMelt PD1 - because two is one and one is none.

yNLz3sQ.jpg

tl;dr cheap can work just fine.
This time, I left the 'nice' knives at home.
Couldnt be happier with neither the cheap Puukko nor the ultra cheap modded beard axe.

ZrrGID0.jpg

Having done all this over the years I've actually regressed back to where I started over 45 years ago with a Buck 110 back on my belt with a 154CM blade.No pocket clips to get hung up,no pivot screws to adjust and riding in a belt sheath frees up pocket space . The 154CM easily sharpens and strops to a surgical scalpel like edge. Crazy as it may sound, that's where I'm at today but the " journey " continues.
ibohc5Q.jpg
Nice.
Ill have to get me a Bos 154 CM 110.

It's OK, I think I am immune by now. I have all of the knives I need or want.
No.such.thing.

......ohh, and the KoolAid thing.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't like my CRK knives enough to carry them much. Other than to sell off, I wouldn't trade a Spyderco Manix 2 LW for a Sebenza--selling for more money is the only thing the Sebenza is better at, IMO. The Manix 2 cuts better, has better ergos, is lighter and holds and edge longer (assuming you're buying any of the versions with high-end steels).

My most carried knives include a handful of very expensive knives (much more so than my CRKs), but they also include some really cheap knives as well. I carry knives like the Alox Cadet, Buck Vantage Avid, Cold Steel Tuff Lite/Mini Tuff Lite, and so on because I like them, not because I don't own more expensive options.

I wouldn't trade a Spyderco Manix 2 LW

See that just shows how different we all are. Different knives for different people.
The Manix 2 LW is the only knife I have ever traded. Got an Endura4 in ZDP for it.
As my best friend's mom, when I was very young, used to say : I'm glad she likes that dress and I got a feather up my _ss . . . we are both tickled.

I don't know exactly what that means but it sort of applies.

I have some expensive knives, but my most carried are in the 200-400 range. So on a relative scale, the knives I carry most cost 20% or so of my "expensive" knives. I think what I learned early on is to distinguish a well made/quality knife from a poorly made one. But owning expensive custom knives did not ruin me for everything else. And as we know there is not always a 100% correlation between price and quality.

Every knife has its purpose. Owning nicer knives actually makes me appreciate having the cheaper knives that I beat on.

Back