Nice old Plumb Anchor needs work

Nice tight rehang job with a handle with perfect vertical grain but the head is upside down I think.

1/4" gap at top front of eye, yet still wiggle-free.

Do I try to flip the head?

Suggestions on how to try to save the handle?

P2ifn1r.png

A picture of the top of the head may help.
If there’s a metal wedge, I usually drill small holes in the wood wedge right next to the metal wedge and then try to knock it back and forth a bit with a sharp punch to loosen it up. Then you can usually pick it out.
For the wood wedge I use the wood screw method. Drill some pilot holes in the wedge and then drive the screws in. I usually turn the axe upside down and grip the screws in a vise, then knock the head up with a plastic or wooden mallet. If it works then the wedge will be pulled out and still stuck on the screws.
If that doesn’t work then I just keep drilling holes and then pick out the pieces.
Find something oval shaped that fits in the eye and drift the handle out.
Having said all that, since the head is mounted upside down, if it weren’t a very tight hang you could possibly just drive the handle out since the taper is larger toward the handle. If I were to try that however I would want to use a drift shaped the same as the eye for the most surface contact.
Good luck!

Thanks for the tips.

Single wood wedge in center gap.

Just noticed he had to file down handle to fit in smaller hole at top of head so he could mount head upside down, leaving gap at bottom of head now at top.

He tried so hard to do a good job. :oops:

Thanks for the tips.

Single wood wedge in center gap.

Just noticed he had to file down handle to fit in smaller hole at top of head so he could mount head upside down, leaving gap at bottom of head now at top.

He tried so hard to do a good job. :oops:

Thomas, can you call me and talk for five minutes. Asking for a favor here. Just have a quick question. My number is 719-717-2103. Thanks

Back