NitroV. Any way to HT without cryo?

Hearing great things about this steel and have two sticks ready to work up in to kitchen knives. Every HT recipe I've read involves cryo. I have no access to dry ice, etc where I'm living and wonder what my options are. Any suggestions from our panel of experts?

Much obliged

HTing without cryo or subzero you better use lower austenitizing range (for Nitro-V I would use 1925F) to get lower RA and when after quench when steel is warm enough to touch by hand go straight to the freezer for an hour will never hurt.

Well, you COULD do it. I once saw a guy HT a blade of S90V for a VERY expensive folder and he didn't use cryo. I wouldn't do it myself, but apparently you can. BTW, isn't Nitro V suitable for use with the old dry ice slushy?

Hearing great things about this steel and have two sticks ready to work up in to kitchen knives. Every HT recipe I've read involves cryo. I have no access to dry ice, etc where I'm living and wonder what my options are. Any suggestions from our panel of experts?

Much obliged
I'd send out to HT.

The protocol from NJBS does have a no cryo option with the preheat and austenizing adjusted to make due with the compromise but all you need to do is read D DevinT post.

Nailed it.

JTknives JTknives has a HT service, I'd look into it.

I don’t think it’s worth risking everything on a questionable heat treat. When you consider the amount of time you will spend making the knife and the cost of material. All of it can be wasted in just a few min with a second rate heat treat. Remember NitroV has had cracking issues in the past.

If you can’t do cryo what do you have for actually heat treating the blade?

I HIGHLY recommend JT. Only person I send my stuff to. Great work great prices and great turnaround time.

I don’t think it’s worth risking everything on a questionable heat treat. When you consider the amount of time you will spend making the knife and the cost of material. All of it can be wasted in just a few min with a second rate heat treat. Remember NitroV has had cracking issues in the past.

If you can’t do cryo what do you have for actually heat treating the blade?

Have my own forge and Evenheat oven. May just send the blades out in the absence of cryo in my shop.

Thanks for the suggestion on the dry ice Stacy.

Back