No clue

Bora aluminum oxide 150/280.Ka -bar dozier in aus8.Cant seem to form a burr.Not pressing hard enough? ,not trying long enough? Feels almost round just behind the edge.

Work it on the 150 grit holding a consistent angle with some pressure. You'll form a burr. Flip it over and do the same.. DM

Work it on the 150 grit holding a consistent angle with some pressure. You'll form a burr. Flip it over and do the same.. DM
Back and forth without leaving the stone or one pass down ,lift off at the end and reset at the front of the stone?

"Feels almost round just behind the edge" suggests the held angle is varying too much.

If so, it would prevent the apex from becoming crisp and would at least partly explain why a burr hasn't formed yet. The held angle must be fairly consistent, to thin the edge enough to form a burr. Otherwise, the variability in held angle will keep rounding off the apex and the burr never forms.

"Feels almost round just behind the edge" suggests the held angle is varying too much.

If so, it would prevent the apex from becoming crisp and would at least partly explain why a burr hasn't formed yet. The held angle must be fairly consistent, to thin the edge enough to form a burr. Otherwise, the variability in held angle will keep rounding off the apex and the burr never forms.
What angle?

He means the angle you're holding the knife relative to the stone. Mark the bevel with a Sharpie, it will help guide you.
Ok i just did the sharpie.I think i must of really messed up the factory bevel on this....the sharpie like rides a ridge the whole way down the bevel and theres like a steep wall from the top ...its like theres edge,then angle,then steep wall up onto the flat of the blade.

No I mean what degree I guess, sorry.

Not so important as to what specific degree necessarily, within limits. Edge angles usually fall within 40° inclusive (20° per side) or lower, for normal usage.

What's important is to maintain as closely as possible whatever angle is chosen. This keeps the bevels flatter, so the intersection of those flatter bevels will produce a thinner, and therefore sharper, apex. As the apex thins, it will eventually become fragile enough to bend away from the stone, to form a burr.

Feels almost round just behind the edge.

Maverick1, I can't say for sure but it sounds like the area behind the edge might be too thick and you are hitting that instead of the apex. If that's the case I'd thin that area out. Thin edges cut a lot better than thick edges. Again, if that is the case I'd use the 60 grit Baryonyx Manticore instead of a 150 grit abrasive unless you like to spend more time than necessary grinding away metal.

I often find factory angles to be too obtuse so don't pay any attention to their edge bevels, just sharpen at as low an angle as I can without the edge chipping or rolling doing the most demanding task I would use the knife for.

Last edited:
Mark the edge bevel with a Sharpie and take a picture.

Grind on your stone and take more pictures.

Upload them to Imgur or similar and then post them here. It will help us to see what is happening.

Mark the edge bevel with a Sharpie and take a picture.

Grind on your stone and take more pictures.

Upload them to Imgur or similar and then post them here. It will help us to see what is happening.
I got the sharpie off the one side but i still can't feel a burr

All good advise given so far.

Might I suggest only do edge-leading strokes to start with. Apply your sharpie, then sharpen in a way that seems like you are trying to cut thin slices off the stone.

Lift the knife off the stone at the end of the stroke; don’t let the tip fall off the side of the stone.

Do this for several passes until you see and feel a burr. At that point, you can switch to the other side.

As you refine your edge, you will need less and less passes per side.

Don’t pull the knife on the stone on the return stroke. I have a feeling you are rounding the edge by doing this. This can be done smoothly by people with experience and a steady hand, but I don’t think you are at the point yet.

Maverick1, I can't say for sure but it sounds like the area behind the edge might be too thick and you are hitting that instead of the apex. If that's the case I'd thin that area out. Thin edges cut a lot better than thick edges. Again, if that is the case I'd use the 60 grit Baryonyx Manticore instead of a 150 grit abrasive unless you like to spend more time than necessary grinding away metal.

I often find factory angles to be too obtuse so don't pay any attention to their edge bevels, just sharpen at as low an angle as I can without the edge chipping or rolling doing the most demanding task I would use the knife for.
this sounds like what i think is going on

Back