1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

No clue

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Maverick1, Nov 21, 2020.

1. robgmn

robgmn

Oct 30, 2015
    A lot of people have a tough time holding a consistent angle relative to the stone throughout their sharpening stroke.
    You may need a little reminder, such as a chunk of wood dowel taped to the blade close to the spine. (Dowel thickness dependent on the angle you are trying to achieve).
    It can give a good visual reference to see if you are lifting or dipping the spine as you go through the stroke.

2. MtnHawk1

MtnHawk1 Basic Member Basic Member

May 22, 2019
    If you want to know more, including how to resolve this problem, I highly recommend the book The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening, by John Juranitch. It has lots of good photos and drawings to make the principles of sharpening easier to understand. I was actually surprised how simple sharpening really is after I finally understood the few basic principles and could get sharp edges. I could then much better appreciate and use the great advice I got here.

David Martin likes this.
  3. Metal Man 007

Metal Man 007

Oct 18, 2020
    This help me to "gauge" a steeper angle compare to something not as steep. The also sell cheap gauges on amazon. I actually cut my own gauges from wood on a chop saw but like said above you can use anything, no need to buy a gauge.
    Another tip that might help is to buy a cheap knife on Amazon to practice on. I bought a 15$ machete , its like a big thin blade knife. I was sharpening this yesterday and noticed it might make a good learning tool. You can really see what you are doing right and wrong since the blade is larger in all directions ,compared to a smaller 3 inch blade. Here is the blade I ordered and I am sure you could even find something cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GVX1B16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    An angle guide helps a lot to create an even bevel and a burr.

5. Maverick1

Maverick1

Nov 21, 2020
    Thanks alot people.I think I was just doing back n forth strokes too hard and was just rounding,went alot better when I switched to single pass,lift and reset.

6. Maverick1

Maverick1

Nov 21, 2020
    Also, we should all be petitioning knife manufacturers to do away with T6 screws!

Richard Coyle likes this.