No clue

A lot of people have a tough time holding a consistent angle relative to the stone throughout their sharpening stroke.
You may need a little reminder, such as a chunk of wood dowel taped to the blade close to the spine. (Dowel thickness dependent on the angle you are trying to achieve).
It can give a good visual reference to see if you are lifting or dipping the spine as you go through the stroke.

this sounds like what i think is going on

If you want to know more, including how to resolve this problem, I highly recommend the book The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening, by John Juranitch. It has lots of good photos and drawings to make the principles of sharpening easier to understand. I was actually surprised how simple sharpening really is after I finally understood the few basic principles and could get sharp edges. I could then much better appreciate and use the great advice I got here.

A lot of people have a tough time holding a consistent angle relative to the stone throughout their sharpening stroke.
You may need a little reminder, such as a chunk of wood dowel taped to the blade close to the spine. (Dowel thickness dependent on the angle you are trying to achieve).
It can give a good visual reference to see if you are lifting or dipping the spine as you go through the stroke.
This help me to "gauge" a steeper angle compare to something not as steep. The also sell cheap gauges on amazon. I actually cut my own gauges from wood on a chop saw but like said above you can use anything, no need to buy a gauge.
Another tip that might help is to buy a cheap knife on Amazon to practice on. I bought a 15$ machete , its like a big thin blade knife. I was sharpening this yesterday and noticed it might make a good learning tool. You can really see what you are doing right and wrong since the blade is larger in all directions ,compared to a smaller 3 inch blade. Here is the blade I ordered and I am sure you could even find something cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GVX1B16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks alot people.I think I was just doing back n forth strokes too hard and was just rounding,went alot better when I switched to single pass,lift and reset.

Back