'No Frills' $75.00 home studio tent/lightbox

pjlockbackclosed.jpg

Rubber tile from Canal Street :)

Dunno Coop, magic I suppose ;) saved it with photoelements 7
resized down from in there to 800 pixel longest side and with
a image quality at 5, usually :)
G2

Gary, your image is thrifty. It's fairly large and is only 84kb. I opened it on Bridge. It claims to have a resolution of (1) ppi. (pixel per inch) How is that???? :confused: :p

Dunno Coop, magic I suppose ;) saved it with photoelements 7
resized down from in there to 800 pixel longest side and with
a image quality at 5, usually :)
G2
He he he. I just went into Photoshop and saved a photo down to (Pixel Size): 800 pixels wide. In the lower box (Document size) I clicked: (1) ppi: The description box said it was 800 inches by 600 inches. :p

The image looked the same. Carry on.... :D

Coop

I used links from CKCA albums and they show to me. Wonder if that is from the cache. Don't know if anyone else is having the problem. let me know and I'll link to my fototime site.

Nothing here. It's almost universal that cross-forum linking doesn't work.

Coop

Thanks for that tip Coop. I thought I would try but no success so I have gone direct to my Fototime site. They should be fine now.

I have a variety of backgrounds but generally I use only one. It was one I did not sell when I retired and there are enough pieces to do images with a backdrop as well as background.

Backdrop sample

standard.jpg

background sample

standard.jpg

by using a simple background without distractions, the emphasis is on the knife and not other parts of the image. Too often folks put too much "stuff" into the image and lose the knife.
Let's bring this over to the next page. Thanks, Murray!

Coop

I think the lighting is better wit the high tech reflectors, foam board covered in foil. Thanks Coop :thumbup:

IMG_5850.jpg

the spread of light does not seem to be even as there is a hot spot on the blade and then the light is falling off at the front portion of the blade.

I think the lighting is better wit the high tech reflectors, foam board covered in foil. Thanks Coop :thumbup:

IMG_5850.jpg
I think it's an improvement also. Nicely done. Overall exceptionally clear.

Murray is now starting to hone in on the even finer points. At this level there are still corrections to be had:

• The lighting is focused on the center of the frame.
  • More light at both ends of the knife (look at the light fading on the medallion)
  • The cropping is imbalanced. Give that tip some breathing room.
  • Get that tip off the background just a touch. That way you don't lose the definitive shadow.

What a privilege to be able to nit pick to this degree. Again, nice work. :thumbup:

Coop

OK, more lighting... Bought another light today.

Give the tip some breathing room... Can do.

Get the tip off of the back ground... Can do.

Thanks Murray and Jim, this knife wont ship for a couple of more days so I'll try it again this evening.

an easy way to adjust the knife is to use children's plasticine. sometimes tipping the knife toward or away from the light can make for a better image too. I'm not sure the size of the light being used but if using one light the a larger reflector is better to help spread the light.

also maybe try placing the knife above the sheath and reduce the angularity between knife and sheath. An X patten between the two is not the best for composition.

no details in the highlights and there is a bit of yellow cast coming into the handle which might be reflection from the sheath or it could be stray light from an incandescent bulb in the vicinity. cropping is better though but try the sheath and knife in opposite positions

Great information here. Thanks for posting.

Nice work!

At this point I am going to submit that this is your best all around. Really well done. I hope you can see these subtleties too, so the next time you study your process shots and keep 'nit picking'. :D

Everything Murray sees would be corrected by rotating the knife towards the camera slightly through it's long axis. I use a putty. Murray uses 'plasticene' (Must be something out of the US. I've never seen it.) you can also use masking tape balled up in reverse.

I know you are saying: "Uncle, uncle!!!" (Old USA phrase for Enough, enough!) ;)

Coop

I have never used silly putty or seen it but expect plasticene is somewhat the same. Just a maleable product that sells in a block (strips stacked) and then just remove some, and then roll in palm and shape as needed. Use to use the stuff as a kid and in school to make Gumby like figures. Kind of like soft clay that never hardens.

Back