'No Frills' $75.00 home studio tent/lightbox

OK, I've got a question and I thought this might be the place, if it isn't I will delete and start its own thread...

I took these pictures last night and noticed that the Ivory and the background changed colors when I put the sheath in the tent.

Did the sheath change the white balance, and if so how do I correct it?

This is very close to the actual color
IMG_5903.jpg

and here is the one with the sheath.
IMG_5904.jpg

Thanks in advance.

needed some color adjustment and the camera saw more dark than the white so the ivory is a bit over exposed. Over exposure is the most difficult to adjust and I'm sure coop could do better than this but here is an idea

orig.jpg

here in the forums it looks like I should have avoided the bit of burn in so there would not be blue in the handle.

Yep, your camera just saw it different with the sheath added. Notice how your background is a bit different in color from your first shot and the second.
Greg

I've been using this method for a while now, with great results, I made mine with PVC and made it in two lengths one for small items and one for rifle size items, I use three clamp on lights with 100 watt incandescent bulbs, I have one on top and one on either side, by placing the light in different position's, I get different effects, I find this method gets rid of hot spots and all unwanted glare, I use a digital point and shoot camera and a digital SLR, I get beautiful pictures with both camera's, if when you're done you find the light box is in your way, it comes apart easily for storage until you need it again, here is a link to show how the PVC set up works, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=37727 mine can be this size or wider, Coop's defuser box is also a great inexpensive way to do this also, and I'm not trying to steal his thread, I just thought I would show others a little different way to do this with the same results.

This is a great thread, one that should be a big help to those that take their own photo's.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Ten -- always good to see what other photographers are doing. Just wondered if you have some knife images to show.

Howdy Murry, not yet, I'm just a newbie at this, I did a kit knife, and that spurred my interest, as soon as I have something worthy of posting in the way of a knife I'll take some pictures to share, this is a nice forum, with a lot of information to learn along with methods. this is my second day on this forum and I'm enjoying it.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

glad you are enjoying the forums. check out Coops site as there are hundreds of incredible knife images there. lots of good threads for photos and image editing and check out the Custom Knife section to see all the neat knives folks are doing. you might also want to check out CKCA where a number of photographers have images of knives they do in studio and on location at knife shows. Lots of knife show threads here and there too.

Hi tEN wOLVES

Welcome to our home here. I see that the original poster on the link you provided (Turbinator) created his tent thread in 2006. I started this one in 2005, and it's still going strong. :) Good for him for sharing, too!

The posterboard setup has many variants. I use a modified version of this setup with PVC tubing like you:

orig.jpg

There's plenty of ways to make them.

Thanks for the props. :)

Coop

Thanks for the welcome Murray and Coop, I no pro my any means, I hope I didn't come across like one, learning how to get better pictures has always fascinated me, learning how to use defused light was the single most improvement in my pictures, I make old west gun leather,and it I was always having trouble with reflected light and glare, now it's a pleasure to take my pictures, I'm always on a learning scale, that's what makes life interesting for me, I just recently bought digital SLR, so this should open up a whole new world for me too, I used a Nikon FM for years, but fine it hard to go back to it, digital is the way to go now.

Thanks for the info, I will take a look and see these cool pictures.

tEN wOLVES

I'm sure if you go thru the whole thread, Ten, there is likely an image of my original setup when many of us joined Coop in creating this thread.

currently my setup and camera is this

standard.jpg

one quick result looks like this

standard.jpg

my signature has a link to my Fototime site with photos of my collection

once you get into knives, you will be hooked

Hi Murray

WOW, you make some beautiful knives, anyone can tell you have been at this for a while, and your light box puts mine to shame, very well put together, I also like Coops open angled light box, I'm learning a lot in just the few days I've here, thanks for sharing guy's, it's much appreciated.

tEN wOLVES

Coop, I just checked out your web page, I didn't mean to leave you out, your knives are over the top too, you guys are going to be a hard act to follow for sure. and Coop you've done a great job of putting all this together.

tEN wOLVES
T

ten-- nope I don't make knives. I'm a collector for the last almost 30 years and those are fine works of art from a number of makers all over the world. glad you enjoyed looking at them.

Thanks Coop! Here is mine, I am using the cheap camera, will break out the sony tomorrow and give her a true test... its in the safe and Im tired, lol. This one is 30" wide built using Coop's design.

lightbox.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a kitchen knife I just finished, I figured Id better get a picture of the box in use. I have some hot spots and some other things to get figured out but I think the sony camera will take care of most of it, besides the hot spots.. I gotta play with the light a little more.

campkitchen1.jpg

campkitchen2.jpg

Thanks to this thread, I also have also tried my hand at a DIY setup.

Supplies ready (including some prints of the photos in this thread)

4587603444_2d3ed8ae34.jpg

Made some changes to the final version, but didnt photo it yet. The T parts going up with the grey pipe are actually snap on T's with a threaded junction. I used a threaded to 3/4" pipe adapter to atttach the grey pipe. I actually moved the upper cross bar down to the lower bar on my final setup. This put the lights just right as you will see...

4586978417_4b2bbfbf7e.jpg

Photo of booth in use. In this you can see how the light bar is moved down. I also had to zip tie on a 3/4 x 1 board to give the light clamps something to stop them from twisting. The bulbs I have are 3 true color 5500k flouro bulbs. 2 100's on the outside and 1 60 on the inside (the 60 is because they didnt have 3 100's in this bulb.) I also got a set of 75 and 100w lamps in 6500k. I used custom WB on the camera, although Lightroom seems to overwrite that value setting to 5900k when importing. Im still trying to figure out this import issue. White backdrop is matte plastic. I used a garbage bag as the diffuser, although it seems like its still blocking out some light. Hand held was still a little callenging.

4587603098_6b01d156a5.jpg

Last booth shot showing a lower view of the diffusion material. The trash bag was a little small. The diamond plate is something ive had forever and makes a great background, although it reflects alot.

4587603034_9f9dc54234.jpg

one example of the final result. This was just a quick edit to post today. I still have alot to learn for lighting. Planning on getting some more supplies to raise the tent up a little for some more working space, as well as working on a better diffusion material.

Target "tactical light", Spyderco Endura4, Kershaw Ram w/ Dobson scales.

4587083766_6d41a39139.jpg

Thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olydemon/

Last edited:
frossbyte: Nicely done. It appears the diffuser material may be a bit too translucent, as it shows some potential hot spots.

Hot spots = glare = Not so good.

That said, highlights (not glare) are always necessary to show texture, shape and add shadows for realism and depth. Keep at it. I hope you are enjoying the process. :)

Thoughts?

Another great build. Me likes.

You will gain a lot by adding a 6" reflector of some form to drive light back into the shadows. They are too dark. Mine is very similar, and I always, always, use a mirror or three to shoot light back into the work.

Coop

Thanks Coop! I saw that in your photos.... if you look close I have those printed on my table. :) I ran out of materials for the frame the first night but couldnt resist trying it out. I used some white cardboard in the front. I could tell the difference for sure. I will get some more materials for reflecting back spme of that light. I also picked up another light for 4 total, so i can maybe use one on the side or front. I look forward to testing more, although I may need to buy some more knives to shoot!!

Do you have any preference to the color temp on the lights? I have 3 different types, all considered "daylight" @ 5000k, 5500k, and 6500k. I havent tried them all yet. I set my camera to custom WB, although when importing to lightroom, it overwrites the camera setting and changed 6500 to 5900k. I need to do some comparison to the sony software to the lightroom export to see what is correct.

Thanks for your time putting all that information together for us photo newbies, got to give it a shot.

Back