'No Frills' $75.00 home studio tent/lightbox

I ment the last piture with knife, not sword. For knife also possible to make setup as for sword using reflection not diffusion.

Thanks, Vassili.

Hi Dan,

You must have a 'digicam' and not a DSLR. Nothing wrong with that. That's what I had (Sony F717) before buying the Canon EOS-10D, then Canon EOS-20D, and now the Canon EOS-5D.

That was a big change for me not being able to view my images on the LCD screen (or the TV!!!) until I shot the image. Only then I get the captured shot. So I have to look in the viewfinder for preview, and the LCD is only for review. I don't know of a good DSLR that has a preview feature. No biggie, anyway.

Coop

SharpByCoop said:
I don't know of a good DSLR that has a preview feature. No biggie, anyway.

Coop

Olimpus announce something like this recently.

Thanks, Vassili.

SharpByCoop said:
Hi Dan,

You must have a 'digicam' and not a DSLR. Nothing wrong with that. That's what I had (Sony F717) before buying the Canon EOS-10D, then Canon EOS-20D, and now the Canon EOS-5D.

That was a big change for me not being able to view my images on the LCD screen (or the TV!!!) until I shot the image. Only then I get the captured shot. So I have to look in the viewfinder for preview, and the LCD is only for review. I don't know of a good DSLR that has a preview feature. No biggie, anyway.

Coop

Oh Man now I'm going to have to get a DSLR camera:rolleyes: :p :D
I had My old Sony ( still do) but it's so out dated but I loved the ease of it.
right on to a 3.5 disk, this one I have now a Nikon, does a good job as long as I spend the time with it but I still can't get the light right inside..I have a lot of light short of a lighten strike I think:eek: :) I'll get it right some time when I can get the time to mess with it ..

I´ve been stuck in Monterrey, MX for about a month and was just looking at the forums (finally). Heading home tomorrow (finally!) and will definitely be building one of these boxes. Great information, Mr.Coop - and you are by no means a fool! Thanks again...

bennett said:
Great information, Mr.Coop - and you are by no means a fool!
You don't know me well enough to say THAT! ;) :eek: :p

Coop

good link. yes I do have something like that as well as another product which I have mentioned in posts in this thread.

Dan--you don't need a DSLR either. All my knife images are done with the Nikon 995 CoolPix and you can see many images in the thread both Coop and I and some others are contributing images to in relation to "natural handle material" in "custom"

Murray White said:
Dan--you don't need a DSLR either. All my knife images are done with the Nikon 995 CoolPix and you can see many images in the thread both Coop and I and some others are contributing images to in relation to "natural handle material" in "custom"
yes I know that I was Joking with Jim ;) the one I'm using is a
Nikon Coolpix 3200
one my son got me for the Xmax before the last..
it's inexpensive but works well if I take care of what I'm doing :)
very little touch-up on this one shot outdoors
gray160-m.jpg

you sent this info also http://www.kynd.com/~graydg/gray160-m.jpg

with this comment "very little touch-up on this one shot outdoors "

if you look closely at the image, there is a reflection on the guard and butt that appears to be tree leaves and also the color of the blade is "blue" so actually, a fair amount of digital limage retouching would be required.

Can't recommend strongly enough to use a light tent and daylight flourescent bulbs which I have also posted the type I'm currently using and the power of each.

someone commented in another post that they were having problems with the front fill light in that it was creating a secondary shadow (at least that was how I interpreted the problem). This is why I use the light from behind that has a 3x power of the one I use at the front.

Just adjust the front light physically to give the specular highlight desired. Again, check the thread re "knife handles" and you will see how the technique is used.

Hey guys, I've kinda skimmed through this thread trying to learn about taking photo's. My wife bought me a kodak Z740 5 meg pix digital camera the other day for my birthday. I like it so far but don't know anything about camera's yet. I built the light box Coop Show at the beginning of this thread, I made mine out of hard bord, I seem to have to over do most things I do, but anyway the lights I have are 75 watt but they don't specify day light bulbs. I'll have to change them. I've taken some pictures lately and some turn out ok but they still seem pretty fuzzy to me compared to most of yalls. I'll try to post them Some are of a slip joint I finished this morning, a liner lock I finished last week, and my light box setup. I love you photo's Coop, I frequent your website usually every few days to see if you've added anything new. I would use you for taking pictures of my knives but I'm toooooo tight! :D Thanks for all the help Coop & everyone else. Dwayne

176.jpg

1763.jpg

1762.jpg

1761.jpg

1756.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/ddushane/lightbox1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/ddushane/lightbox3.jpg

this is about the lightest background I use

standard

keep the eye on the knife not background.

here is something from the handles thread (well, actually it has not been posted yet as I have not done the stag stuff) but this is good to look at

standard

ok, now I'll post an image with the main background I use and keep in mind it is exactly the same background as what you see behind the cutout and the cutout is just part of the main background. all that has been done is some simple image manipulation to create a more interesting but related background.

standard

I have various parts of the background that I use at different times but you get the general idea. It is an old painters concept that dark makes light.

now from looking at those images, you will also note that the composition is such that not much background is left over (cropping) and that the knives are on the diagonal to create leading lines whereas strong vertical and horizontals are quite static in nature.

check the thread as I believe I posted the type of lighting that will work very nicely as Daylight Flourescent.

I'm not familiar with your camera so don't know its closest focusing distance and that is something you may want to check out. Also check out is you have macro capability which is great on the Nikon 995 CoolPix.

good luck with your photo endeavors.

Murray White said:
you sent this info also http://www.kynd.com/~graydg/gray160-m.jpg

with this comment "very little touch-up on this one shot outdoors "

if you look closely at the image, there is a reflection on the guard and butt that appears to be tree leaves and also the color of the blade is "blue" so actually, a fair amount of digital limage retouching would be required.
Murray
just so you didn't miss understand me..
I didn't say it didn't need retouching
I said I did very little to it.
if I wanted to spend the time with it and didn't want the leaves in it
I would have just used my light box..either inside or out side..that was a very quick picture with just some lightening it up..showing what that camera will do off the hip..
BTW that is a Bead blasted blade with no retouching also,

Dwayne,

You have good clear photos. A lot of light. I would suggest moving the lights back some, to create a little bit of shadowing towards the front. It is directly overhead right now. Then you will have a better visual of the shape and the depth. Come in from behind at a 45* angle and use a board reflector in the front.

As I learned, a light box gives images a bit of a hazy look, so adding more contrast will really help give it some 3-D again.

Keep at it, you smart cheapskate.... :p :thumbup: ;)

Coop

Thanks guys, I'll keep all of it in mind. The camera does have macro, but not sure what that is, I just know I read it somewhere in the book. It's also got a 10X zoom but haven't figured out exactly how to use it to my advantage.
Coop, as far as the lights, for some reason when I shot the photo's today that are posted above, I put the lights real close to the plastic bag. I'll back them off a bit and make sure to have them pointing in at a 45* angle like you said. I'll also try to use a darker back ground like Murray said. I appreciate the helpful hints, I also appreciate you starting this thread in the first place. I've always wanted to be able to take good pictures of my knives and will have someone else shoot'em when I'm at the show's but haven't gone to any in some time. One question, is it better to get the camera real close, or back it off and use the zoom? Thanks again for the comments, Dwayne

I also have adobe photo shop 5.0 but have very limited knowledge about it. I have corel photo paint too & play with it some to touch stuff up; all of the pics on my website that aren't done by Point Seven are just scanned from my scanner. Some look ok, but some have a purple cast to them. All help is greatly appreciated!:rolleyes:

Dwayne,

Set your camera on macro, even if you shoot from 24" away. Don't use the digital enhanced zoom. Zoom to the point of non-digital enhancement (Many cameras have a guide for when this starts.) The '10x' feature is bogus. They just expand the data to a larger frame, without a true zooming in closer.

Get in 12-18" away on a folder.

The light's proximity is OK, and yu may want to step down your aperature (f-stop) or shorten your shutter speed to get less light in. Just drawing the lights down will have the same effect, though.

Round two?

Coop

Thanks Coop, I'm going to get in there and try some more and try what you just said plus what murray was talking about with the darker colored back grounds. Thanks for all the help!:thumbup: Dwayne

P.S. Here are some other pics I took of some knives on my available page from other makers. I'm not sure if I have my website updated right or not. It works from my home computer but when I checked it last night from work the pictures didn't show up.

vansickle.jpg

stoutknife.jpg

jasonjacks.jpg

henryparker.jpg

Hey guys, I'm using your tips, Here's some more pics. The one on the blue background was done with the lights backed off and the camera up close; approx 12" away. The one with the green background w/stars was shot without lights on the light box, just the lights on in the kitchen, I thought it was the best so far. Thanks for the help & comments, and any additional comments are welcome. Dwayne

100_0107.jpg

100_0099.jpg

Murray, How do get your pics to post so big? While on my coputer working on them in photo shop, if you view them in actual size they seem to be enourmous, I mean only being able to view the bolster, some of the handle & less than half of the blades. What's up with that? :confused: Dwayne

I'll shut up for a while, maybe :rolleyes:

Back