No Frills Lighting

Stephen-I would just recommend selecting a less busy back ground and one where your lighting is not making part of the background so bright that it attracts the eye instead of the knife attracting the eye. I like the knife though.

This blade on this beauty has an unbelievable mirror finish, I cannot get the pic to come out right with the double edge. Any ideas?

standard.jpg

Mirror finishes are the very hardest, as you are finding. Are you outside? It looks so. Whatever the background, it is not consistent and it is showing up so. (Clouds? Uneven lighting?)

I still give it a 'B'. :)

Coop

No Coop, I was not outside, that was in my photo tent, I think it is just light reflection and reflection of the fabric that I have over the tent.

Steven, can you take a pic of your tent?
It would help to see your setup.

make sure the material is taut across the tent. anytime that there are valleys the light will not be even. Background with strong horizontal or vertical lines should be avoided as the line detract from the image being photographed.

Interesting compositions and perrspective. Maybe an overall product shot would help establish what you're looking at and then use these as detail shots. I think you did a good job though.

Thanks for the comments

I took these photos for a the guys on the Multitool forum so they could see a direct comparison to a LM Wave. The Charge has a tool-bit holder where the Wave dosent, ergo concentrating on that specific part.

Cheers

Temper

Phil, I can take a picture of my setup, but I have it set up just like Murrays, only my pictures dont come out as good.
Murray, I know that you said less busy, but:

standard.jpg

guess when you live in a big city, it is busy. lol

BTW--last word in the tag line or sig line should be spelled "privilege"

just add a bit of "fill" light to the handle of the photo. O/W great improvement and a nice knife too.

Hopefully I can look in on "master" coop next weekend in Chicago. I want to see his setup that he takes to shows. I'm hoping to get a few images of the show and the knives.

Well, my name has come up, but in the context of THIS thread: 'No Frills Lighting', I am completely out of place. I have LOTS of frills and we talked about that.

I like the clear shots with outdoor lighting in this thread the very best. Back to basics... :)

Coop

Here is a set of shots. One of them was taken indoors with my light tent, my strobes, my reflectors, and everything that I can to make it interesting.

The other was the same background, moved out to my back porch with a couple of Phil's .05¢ studio backdrops. :) Camera set on Auto.

Both of them got some fine tuning in PhotoShop, but not much.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

K.I.S.S. :D

Coop ('Cuz this is Phil's thread, I HAD to use stag...!)

COOP!
You can't just put up pix of that killer Knicker and not tell us about it.
:grumpy:

I have a bit of stag waiting for a knicker blade to grow out of it :D

That is about a twenty-five year old 'production' knife made by Linder-Messer. It's the finest piece of stag in my collection. Nice nickel embossed fittings on the sheath. It's a honey. I bought it off eBay for $125 years ago. I wish it was double the size, thoough! ;)

BTW--I PURPOSELY left out the description on which photo is which. Can you tell which is inside and which is outside? It's not that hard.

Coop

Thanks Coop, that sure is a honey. I'd say the outdoor shot is at the top too.

To quote the former Mayor Koch
"How'm I doin?"
evobag.jpg

The only photoshop was leveling the horizon (shot hand held) and I punched up the black a tiny bit (levels_black eyedropper)

Coop, thanks for the stag and proving my point that you don't need a ton of equipment to take good, very good or excellent pics of your knives.

BTW, I'd guess the top is the daylight pic because of the kicker light that you can see reflected in the ferrel and butt cap of the bottom pic.

Wally, I don't know why you think you need that black bag in the shot. :confused:

Back