Recommendation? No hamon but maybe edge quenching?

Good day knife makers,
since i won't be able to create an hamon on my higo no kami blade in k720 (O2) I think it would be nice to try an edge quench to achieve some sort of temper line. Do anyone have some tips on it? I think that the residual heat on the blade will negatively affect the heat treatment overheating the just quenched edge. Any tip is welcome! And maybe even some tips on how to really make the temper line pop out would be great!
Have a nice day everybody!

It won’t work. O2 is the wrong choice of steel for this. It is a low alloy steel however it has too much manganese, and chrome. This stuff will air harden. I guess you could just heat the edge with a torch and quench. O2 is sensitive to over heating so be careful.

Hoss

Good day knife makers,
since i won't be able to create an hamon on my higo no kami blade in k720 (O2) I think it would be nice to try an edge quench to achieve some sort of temper line. Do anyone have some tips on it? I think that the residual heat on the blade will negatively affect the heat treatment overheating the just quenched edge. Any tip is welcome! And maybe even some tips on how to really make the temper line pop out would be great!
Have a nice day everybody!

save the O2 for Damascus. Get some shallower hardening steel for edge quenching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back