No love for SS Spydies?

I don't spend a lot of time on knife forums these days, but even when I did, I don't see many stainless Spydercos for sale, seemingly ever.

Is there not much demand for them? Any insight would be appreciated.

I believe theres plenty of love for the stainless Spyderco knives. Its just that there are so many exciting non-stainless 'super steels,' that forum talk gravitate towards these.
Stainless knives are more humble under the radar user knives.
Just my take and I may be wrong.

If you mean stainless scales then, yeah, there are only a few models available. I just bought a Police Stainless a couple of weeks ago. Very sleek and strong. Love it!

I think Delica might be available in stainless as well.

My understanding is that most OP don't like the weight or slippery scales, me I love'em but I am more "old" school. The titanium scaled are the bomb too.

I like my SS Police models, my SS Harpy and SS Delicas. The Harpy actually makes a better harder-use blade than the Tasman Salt, because it’s a bit thicker and more solid.

Jim

My Foundry is probably my favorite folding knife ever. I actually prefer it over the Sebenza and Inkosi I've owned, especially if one takes price vs function into consideration.

I love the three Gen 1 (or 2) Police stainless folders - plain edged, partially serrated and fully serrated; the ones w/o any clip or lanyard holes in the handles. They are great knives IMO!

Metal handles are a no go for me.
If it's blades being talked about, some are not bad but far from my favorites.

This is gonna sound silly...But when I was a kid there was a lot of cheapo gas station knives with stainless steel handles. But the better knives at the time had wood handles or even plastic. To this day I still associate steel handles as a inexpensive knife. I need to get over that as I actually do have a vintage Spyderco in SS and I really like it. But I'll always chose G-10 over anything else.

I have to also agree that at this point in time, Stainless handled Spydies are on the old school side. There is still a lot to like about them. They are still as solid as they ever were.

I'm assuming you mean the handles/scales, and I think a lot of people do like them. I don't like the extra weight though, and they are less grippy, so I much prefer FRN, or even G10.

Personally speaking I think stainless scales on Spydies are great.

When they are pinned, they are the lowest maintenance possible knife. Easy to rinse out, no screws to lose or textures to scrub.

No, you don’t want to carry one if you’re going to have wet or slippery hands. But, they’re fun to hold, sleek to carry, and also carry IWB great.

This is gonna sound silly...But when I was a kid there was a lot of cheapo gas station knives with stainless steel handles. But the better knives at the time had wood handles or even plastic. To this day I still associate steel handles as a inexpensive knife. I need to get over that as I actually do have a vintage Spyderco in SS and I really like it. But I'll always chose G-10 over anything else.

Not at all, I had a similar experience to yours growing up. Stainless was a super steel then and you were lucky to find a knife(reasonably priced with it as a blade)let alone the scales too. Cheap wood/plastic on the cheap ones and Stag/Ivory/ Bakelite on the upscale ones. My first knife was a Barlow with brass liners and it was built like a bank vault with plenty of heft. I pick up the FRN/G10 etc and they seem like the cheapo's I grew up with. Weird sometimes being old.

I fell in love with SS when I bought my first ATR many years ago. Golly, that's an awesome knife. It even has a COBRA HOOD! Find that on today's knives!

bnlgjHG.jpg

kkhnPjD.jpg

PoNLZOW.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of value do the older SS models hold? Anyone know what they sell for these days?

The "vintage" Police Stainless (which are the only Spyderco S/S knives that I own) hold their value very well compared w/the modern versions, most selling for about the same price between $100-200 on eBay (and Arizona Custom) based on the condition, rarity and the depth of the pocketbook of the buyer.

The vintage versions (if in good condition) are just as good (in terms of function and design) as as the modern versions and do NOT generally demand a "premium" as a collectable, which is a plus IMO, since I bought the 3 that I have as "collectibles" for around $150 each and because I find the appearance of the "hole free" vintage stainless models much more attractive than the modern versions w/clip screw and lanyard holes.

The s/s Spydercos that are scratched are also very easy to re-polish w/a bench buffer, which I did to the PS bladed s/s Police below (the only 1 w/o the original clear protector still on it), which now looks like new. :)

I'm still trying to find another PE bladed s/s Police to match (in terms of markings) the PS and SE versions below it in VG10. If anyone has one that they want to sell, please let me know. Vintage PE s/s Police folders are the hardest to find.

Got outbid on one that was NIB that I was trying to buy on EB which went for over $300, which is a price I'd be willing to pay for one that is in NIB or LNIB condition which exactly matches the other 2 that I already own.

OYhYnr8.jpg

Last edited:
The "vintage" Police Stainless (which are the only Spyderco S/S knives that I own) hold their value very well compared w/the modern versions, selling for about the same price between $100-200 on eBay (and Arizona Custom) based on rarity, value and the depth of the pocketbook of the buyer.

The vintage versions (if in good condition) are just as good (in terms of function and design) as as the modern versions and do NOT generally demand a "premium" as a collectable, which is a plus IMO, since I bought the 3 that I was as "collectibles" for around $150 each and I find the appearance of the "hole free" vintage stainless models much more attractive than the modern versions w/clip screw and lanyard holes.

The s/s Spydercos that are scratched are also very easy to repolish them w/a bench buffer, which I did to the PS bladed s/s Police below (the only 1 w/o the original clear protector, which now looks like new. :)

I'm still trying to find another PE bladed s/s Police to match (in terms of markings) the PS and SE versions below it in VG10. If anyone has one that they want to sell, please let me know. Vintage PE s/s Police folders are the hardest to find.

OYhYnr8.jpg

Agreed! No to Swiss cheese!

In fact I won't buy an O/G model with multiposition clip.
I have 4 Police, 3 Harpy and a Worker all tip down only.

Back