No love for the manix 2 lw

I'll have EDC'd a translucent blue BD-1 Manix2 Lightweight 3 years on Christmas. Haven't found anything to kick it out. Fits my hand perfectly, opens perfectly. Closes one-handed. Large but doesn't scare coworkers an doesn't take up too much space in my pocket. Sharpens to where I need it with 10 passes on the brown Sharpmaker rods.

Anyone who things the FRCP feels cheap is right. It FEELS cheap. It's not. As far as I can tell it's nearly indestructible. As other have mentioned I'd expect the blade to snap at the narrowest point before the handle fails.

I keep hoping my daughter takes it like she has a few other Spydies so I have an excuse to buy the S110V version since the BD-1 just keeps going.

I like the dark blue version myself. I'm waiting for the orange one, and very curious what steel it will have.

I carry my LW more often than the fancier (and heavier) G10 versions, to be honest... It is also an excellent flicker, probably the most fun to play with of all my spydies.

I used my S110V LW M2 backpacking last summer. Great knife for shorts also.

Is that orange exclusive going to be in XHP??

I like the dark blue version myself. I'm waiting for the orange one, and very curious what steel it will have.

I'm curious on this too. The dark blue S110V is great, but I'd add an orange one to my rotation if it has a good steel.

Are you answering someone, or explaining why the LW Manix 2s are not available in the same colors as Enduras and Delicas?

John

Several posters before him referred to the handle material on these as FRN. I think he was just setting the distinction for them.

Several posters before him referred to the handle material on these as FRN. I think he was just setting the distinction for them.

Correct Sir!

When Spyderco released the s110v Manix they wrongly labelled the knife as frn instead of frcp. Michael Janich and TazKristi have since confirmed that the knife is frcp and that they got it wrong but many folks are still in the dark about it and still think they are frn. I'm sure there will be more lw Manix's to come in different colours and hopefully with awesome blade steels in the future, until then the s110v rules!!!

The FRCP handles (even FRN handles on other Spydies) do feel cheap to me as well. And, I can pinch my scales together too as there is a moderate amount of flex.

All that being said, I say: So what?

...I've yet to see a broken handle and the Manix 2 LW punches ***way above*** its price and weight, while actually weighing just about nothing. If the 'cheapness' and perceived weakness aren't for you, I respect that. But they're still wonderful modern folders and capable of a lot more than people give them credit for and 90+% will ever need.

Mine sits alone. Hate that out of all the options available, I chose the model with riveted plastic. It took me years to warm up to Spyderco in the first place. And although I hate the plastic "look" of FRN, I really don't mind the feel of it. But my LW Blue M2 both looks, and feels, like the cheap plastic I've avoided for so many years. At the time of purchase I was choosing between the LW and a G10. I thought, heck, all things equal, light weight sounds pretty good. Wrong. It's an ok knife, that I just can't bring myself to like.

Looks like my current go-to's remain....Domino, PM2, Chaparral, Delica (das Purple). With a Positron on the way. And still waiting for a GB2.

Really don't think my Manix2 LW will ever get any love. Maybe it'll be a good gift to somebody some day.

Mine sits alone. Hate that out of all the options available, I chose the model with riveted plastic. It took me years to warm up to Spyderco in the first place. And although I hate the plastic "look" of FRN, I really don't mind the feel of it. But my LW Blue M2 both looks, and feels, like the cheap plastic I've avoided for so many years. At the time of purchase I was choosing between the LW and a G10. I thought, heck, all things equal, light weight sounds pretty good. Wrong. It's an ok knife, that I just can't bring myself to like.

Looks like my current go-to's remain....Domino, PM2, Chaparral, Delica (das Purple). With a Positron on the way. And still waiting for a GB2.

Really don't think my Manix2 LW will ever get any love. Maybe it'll be a good gift to somebody some day.

Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I love the FRN and FRCP Spyderco models. Keeps them affordable and lightweight without any meaningful sacrifice in strength. Materials like G10, micarta and carbon fiber definitely lend a more premium feel to the blades but, well, feel doesn't cut stuff. That said, carry what you want to carry. No point in trying to love something you don't love and us knife knuts are spoiled for choice. ;)

Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I love the FRN and FRCP Spyderco models. Keeps them affordable and lightweight without any meaningful sacrifice in strength. Materials like G10, micarta and carbon fiber definitely lend a more premium feel to the blades but, well, feel doesn't cut stuff. That said, carry what you want to carry. No point in trying to love something you don't love and us knife knuts are spoiled for choice. ;)

No doubt we are spoiled for choice. And I have a crazy knife hoarding problem that won't let me sell a knife, even if it's not my fav. Got to get over that. [emoji16]. I've actually come to like FRN for its feel, strength and weight. But for some reason I just don't like the feel of my one FRCP knife. Go figure. But it hasn't stopped me from my latest Spydie addiction. Luckily for me, Spyderco has shown us that we don't have to always go with plastic for light weight. If I recall correctly, the Positron I have on order rings in around 2.6 oz.

This topic inspired me to try one. I just ordered it and can't wait to test it out. I've never had a Manix.

I sourced a BD-1 Manix LW for a mate, and have sharpened it for him twice. Nice folder that fulfills it's intended purpose very well.

I personally wouldn't own one myself, even in S110V, because it just feels light and flimsy. It isn't flimsy, I know that, but it feels that way to me in hand.
Perhaps because I am so used to what is (to me) by far the best of the Manix series, the Manix 2 XL.
Pocket hog you say? I care not. The Manix XL is one of my favorite and most used Spydercos. Wouldn't part with it. To me the LW just feels like a poor cousin by comparison.

Isn't it cool how Spyderco caters to us all and our vastly varied preferences!

I personally wouldn't own one myself, even in S110V, because it just feels light and flimsy. It isn't flimsy, I know that, but it feels that way to me in hand.

Ironic view coming from someone who just put comparatively fragile kirinite scales onto a Military. ;)

With a nice strong layer of G10 under them, not to mention the partial steel liners. ;)

Just razzing ya! :D
I'm sure they're plenty for the use they'll see.
Nobody plans to drop a knife, or bump it off things, but it's really hard to compare to how stout and resilient (and grippy) FRN/FRCP really is.

Just razzing ya! :D
I'm sure they're plenty for the use they'll see.
Nobody plans to drop a knife, or bump it off things, but it's really hard to compare to how stout and resilient (and grippy) FRN/FRCP really is.

Yeah your right, I kinda baby it, and have a standard Millie for more 'just us it' days. And its hard to beat the solid grippy feeling of the bi-directional FRN on my Endura/Delica for sure.

Back