No Vacation! Starring Snark W. Griswold

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's right at Springfield's door brother.
they've got level 1 Evac order all the way to Bob Straub Pkwy(that's inside city limits by several blocks). Level 1 is "Be Ready"
Level 2 is "get set", Level 3 is "Go Now".

The truth is they don't know how fast the fire is moving or exactly where all of the fire is, They can't put up air assets because of low visibility (smoke).
That's what the chief said earlier.

Stay safe and don’t underestimate how fast those fires can move.

Back in 2009 we had a large fire burning 1/3 of the island. This pic was taken behind my house. The wind picked up and brought it down to where we were in 7 minutes.

We had to evacuate to the only place we could which was the pier. We had to sit in the car and use the air conditioning to try to filter the smoke.

Scary stuff!
61A8E757-17D7-4DDD-93F8-F81CBC43970F.jpeg

Yeah, I'm across the river and 12 ish miles away. I don't wanna front like I'm worried about the fire getting out this way. It does get you thinking about what you'd have to get together, where you'd go and all that. I feel for those folks up river though.

Same here. Pretty much all of western Oregon, top to bottom has got fire's. It's just smoke and ash here in the Eug.
What part of SoCal you in?
Near Ontario.
They say one of these fires was lit by someone's party where they were using fireworks. Gonna be an expensive party before all is said and done.
~~~
Hey, found my box of bulk fishing line! I need that ... :cool:

I just heard there has been quite a bit of looting happening in at least one of the nicer neighborhoods.

possibly people starting fires, causing the evacuation and then breaking in a robbing these evacuated houses. Some messed up people.

Near Ontario.
They say one of these fires was lit by someone's party where they were using fireworks. Gonna be an expensive party before all is said and done.
~~~
Hey, found my box of bulk fishing line! I need that ... :cool:
Right on man, I grew up all over Orange County, Mission Viejo mostly.

Absolutely insane!! We don’t see fires like that in Texas. A few here and there, but nothing that destroys hundreds of thousands of acres. Please stay safe gents!!

Absolutely insane!! We don’t see fires like that in Texas. A few here and there, but nothing that destroys hundreds of thousands of acres. Please stay safe gents!!

Forests, man. The Cascades are a short enough mountain range that they allow trees to grow all the way up and over them, but tall enough that people haven't tried developing anywhere near them, so there's just millions and millions of vacant acres of forest just sitting around. When fires start in those forests it is really hard to put them out because they're still mountains and hard to traverse, most of the time we will just try to contain them enough so that they don't burn down villages and stuff but sometimes they get too big to contain easily like what you see now.

Just look at all the green spots in the Cascades vs in Texas, all that green is national forest lands and just about all of it is also very mountainous terrain.

nfs.jpg

Oh, but we could. I can't remember what year it was exactly, but back around 2000, the top location for wildland/urban fire interface risk was the dry brush area in California between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The second locaiton on the list was the hill country in and around Austin. It hasn't gotten much better, just a little more rain and a lot more houses.

A really droughty period like Texas had back in 2010 - 2014, the wrong wind with a spark could make the Austin to San Antonio hill country area look just like California is now.

View attachment 1417128
Eugene muni airport.
Long term parking lot.

Damn, Nate, it’s bad around here too but you got it much worse.

View from near my apt in April:

mctUP7d.jpg

Just now (note warehouse on right and power lines):
0Ydcdt8.jpg

Yesterday, we working in tacoma (which is the furtherest from the fires ive been since they started), the smoke was thick enough that we could feel it in our lungs. My whole nasal system is in bad shape along with my eyes. I were contacts 24/7 until they fall out, i cant put enough eye drops in them.

Its so orangey outside this morning. Kinda eerie.

Last edited:
That’s nuts. How does that happen? Start from the top branches and work it’s way down?

I think from underneath. As far as i know, fire burns upwards. Ive heard of the fire traveling via roots before, not sure if this was the case. I think there was smoke coming from the tree so they opened her up to find this.

Snark break, breaker. I fished aboard the vessel above, "Pacific Queen", which was built to serve in WWII as a high speed, support vessel. One of my favorite rides! I brought home my limit of 2 Bluefin Tuna. (You can just see the second tail tip near the head of the top fish.)

OfnewvU.jpg

4XpICki.jpg

GCj1qi4.jpg

35 pounds, plus change, in weight. I can't ask for better fishing! Kudos to the Captain/s and crew.
The silver lining of living in this corrupt state, ~ sportfishing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back