• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Nocturnal Knives Order

"Wait time for each knife to be completed varies from model to model. Currently due to customer demand our wait time for every model we offer is 2-8 months. We do the best we can to get each order turned in 2, however, please be patient. All of our knives are hand made by two people. If you have any questions please email Marie@nocturnalknives.com or Contact Us before you place your order. Thank you -NNSK Crew"

Hmm. "hand made by two people."

"Wait time for each knife to be completed varies from model to model. Currently due to customer demand our wait time for every model we offer is 2-8 months. We do the best we can to get each order turned in 2, however, please be patient. All of our knives are hand made by two people. If you have any questions please email Marie@nocturnalknives.com or Contact Us before you place your order. Thank you -NNSK Crew"

Hmm. "hand made by two people."

Exactly, lies on lies. Handmade by 2 people but delayed because of supplier issues.... Delayed because of waiting on parts.... Yet hand made by 2 people.

So either it is not hand made (which they tell people suppliers are making stuff for them) or it's not hand made.

So many people coming out now with problems with these guys.

I too am a concerned customer of nocturnal , I ordered a fixed blade back in July 2014 and have not recieved my knife . Hope they make good on knife or money !

A pattern or practice of failing to supply paid-for property is criminal fraud or larceny by trick/deception in most states. Over a dollar amount, the crimes are felonies.

Its a shame when we must resort to multiple means of tracking down a knifemaker that we have spent large sums of money with. Best of luck guys.

^ +1

Not really but there are very predictable responses that seem to get used by those knifemakers who generate the most complaints. When they need your cash their email works, they can get to the bank, their health is great, PayPal is their best friend, their supply cabinets are full, their phone lines are never disconnected or busy, and their marriages have never been stronger.
Only once they've got your money does something terrible always seems to happen. It's a mystery...

^ +1

I've learned this the hard way, as have many others here, but it always bears repeating: don't pay up front.

^ +1

I order a folder from this guys and gave the 50% deposit which I never do but I gave the benefit of the doubt, time went by and after a month of the supposed delivery day I email asking about it, no replied, them I asked for a refund, no replied, after a few times of no answers I decided to file a claim with paypal, oh boy now the communication starts , angry and frustrated emails blaming me for all kinds of things, at the end I got my money back and thank god I got off that falling train.

^ Really happy to hear that you got your money refunded, Rio. Thank Goodness for PayPal Goods, & the protection that it provides to the buyer's who use their services. This guy (Gene?), is a pathetic piece of work.

It'd be really awesome, if Gene would weigh in here & provide the member's here whom are waiting, a positive update! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Email received:

I understand that you use PayPal a lot, lots of people do. But, when PayPal has 15 different disputes coming in at one time and they hold all the transferred funds at the same time it's a problem.

You filed a dispute with PayPal. As soon as you did that they held the amount of the transaction in my account. Those funds are still held by PayPal. I don't know why that is. Every other person that filed a dispute and PayPal held funds for has had the funds released directly to them.

You will have your refund. This whole situation with PayPal is ridiculous and it would have been much easier to send a refund directly, but PayPal takes the ability to manage those refunds away when there's a dispute or claim filed against a transaction. I have already emailed them about your claim transaction. I was under the impression that they already released the funds to you since it says the case was "closed" in my Resolution Center is still being held. However, when I click on it it says this:

Disputed Amount:

Your buyer has reported a problem with this transaction. At this time, we're deferring our investigation of this case, and you do not have to refund the buyer.

That's a problem.

It's not only frustrating for you, but also for me. I have to listen to all these people online, many of which are not even my customers blow a situation out of proportion and spread lies.

This is a list of people that have already received refunds via PayPal for the necker and folder run. There are only a few more people waiting to get their refund and everyone else has funds already held because of a PayPal dispute, or funds transferring to PayPal to take care of them....or (the majority) are good with waiting until their knives are complete. This is as much of my customer information as I'm willing to divulge. Refunds are getting processed as I said they would, it's just taking longer than all of us would like. All of these transaction (except two) were processed through PayPal so I and the customer have the record for it.

Jim - Folder
Lee - Folder
Jason A. - Folder
Jason M. - Folder
Mak - Folder
Jake - Folder
Dave - Folder
Will - Folder
Bill - Folder
Nate - Folder
Mike - Folder

Joe - Necker
Matt - Necker
Brad - Necker
Chad - Necker
Aaron - Necker
Jason - Necker
Brandee - Necker
Alexander - Necker
This guys name is too distinguishable, it begins with an "N" - Necker
Mike - Necker

It's very easy for people to say whatever they want on the internet, but the simple fact is that customers that have requested a refund back are getting them, and people that still want their knives are getting them as well. Even the people that have already received a refund will get their knives as well. The necker folks that were refunded already either have their neckers in the mail, or have them in hand. The folder folks will have their knives shipped once they're complete. Every order is shipping whether they want them or not, just as yours will. If nothing else it gives the customer the opportunity to sell or trade the knife on the secondary market as they see fit.

It's pretty illogical to think that after being in business for four years and grinding out a couple thousand or so knives, I'd be willing to give that up for nothing. There is no satisfactory end game here for me other than to take care of the problems, improve them, and move on. There is not some million dollar "scheme" going down here. That wouldn't even be the case if I hadn't bought material, processed material, had three different water-jet shops cut material because no one could seem to get it right (all of them charging me for the service, right or wrong), and dealing with trying to keep everything moving forward. There is no money for me to be made here for me on either of these two runs, especially not on top of refunds.

Up until recently we were always known for our customer service and how we take care of our customers. Every business has its ups and downs and right now we're recovering from a "down." But, nothing has changes, or communication is getting better, we're getting everything on track, and we still take care of our customers.

Gene

I called PayPal and they said no money is being held because the claim is outside of 6 months. So they open and close it for the record of a dispute. They said no attempt has been made to refund anything.

I asked him to just pay me directly, gift option, then not worry about the refund process. No response. I email again today, a month plus and nothing.

Email received:

I understand that you use PayPal a lot, lots of people do. But, when PayPal has 15 different disputes coming in at one time and they hold all the transferred funds at the same time it's a problem.

You filed a dispute with PayPal. As soon as you did that they held the amount of the transaction in my account. Those funds are still held by PayPal. I don't know why that is. Every other person that filed a dispute and PayPal held funds for has had the funds released directly to them.

You will have your refund. This whole situation with PayPal is ridiculous and it would have been much easier to send a refund directly, but PayPal takes the ability to manage those refunds away when there's a dispute or claim filed against a transaction. I have already emailed them about your claim transaction. I was under the impression that they already released the funds to you since it says the case was "closed" in my Resolution Center is still being held. However, when I click on it it says this:

Disputed Amount:

Your buyer has reported a problem with this transaction. At this time, we're deferring our investigation of this case, and you do not have to refund the buyer.

That's a problem.

It's not only frustrating for you, but also for me. I have to listen to all these people online, many of which are not even my customers blow a situation out of proportion and spread lies.

This is a list of people that have already received refunds via PayPal for the necker and folder run. There are only a few more people waiting to get their refund and everyone else has funds already held because of a PayPal dispute, or funds transferring to PayPal to take care of them....or (the majority) are good with waiting until their knives are complete. This is as much of my customer information as I'm willing to divulge. Refunds are getting processed as I said they would, it's just taking longer than all of us would like. All of these transaction (except two) were processed through PayPal so I and the customer have the record for it.

Jim - Folder
Lee - Folder
Jason A. - Folder
Jason M. - Folder
Mak - Folder
Jake - Folder
Dave - Folder
Will - Folder
Bill - Folder
Nate - Folder
Mike - Folder

Joe - Necker
Matt - Necker
Brad - Necker
Chad - Necker
Aaron - Necker
Jason - Necker
Brandee - Necker
Alexander - Necker
Mike - Necker

It's very easy for people to say whatever they want on the internet, but the simple fact is that customers that have requested a refund back are getting them, and people that still want their knives are getting them as well. Even the people that have already received a refund will get their knives as well. The necker folks that were refunded already either have their neckers in the mail, or have them in hand. The folder folks will have their knives shipped once they're complete. Every order is shipping whether they want them or not, just as yours will. If nothing else it gives the customer the opportunity to sell or trade the knife on the secondary market as they see fit.

It's pretty illogical to think that after being in business for four years and grinding out a couple thousand or so knives, I'd be willing to give that up for nothing. There is no satisfactory end game here for me other than to take care of the problems, improve them, and move on. There is not some million dollar "scheme" going down here. That wouldn't even be the case if I hadn't bought material, processed material, had three different water-jet shops cut material because no one could seem to get it right (all of them charging me for the service, right or wrong), and dealing with trying to keep everything moving forward. There is no money for me to be made here for me on either of these two runs, especially not on top of refunds.

Up until recently we were always known for our customer service and how we take care of our customers. Every business has its ups and downs and right now we're recovering from a "down." But, nothing has changes, or communication is getting better, we're getting everything on track, and we still take care of our customers.

Gene

I called PayPal and they said no money is being held because the claim is outside of 6 months. So they open and close it for the record of a dispute. They said no attempt has been made to refund anything.

I asked him to just pay me directly, gift option, then not worry about the refund process. No response. I email again today, a month plus and nothing.

"handmade in a vendor's shop with waterjet". Gene starts out lying about his "handmade" knives, then lies about giving refund and Paypal. I've not once had any issue with refunds through Paypal, and as you have shown by directly contacting them this is complete BS.

Email received:

Disputed Amount:

That's a problem.

Jim - Folder
Lee - Folder
Jason A. - Folder
Jason M. - Folder
Mak - Folder
Jake - Folder
Dave - Folder
Will - Folder
Bill - Folder
Nate - Folder
Mike - Folder

Joe - Necker
Matt - Necker
Brad - Necker
Chad - Necker
Aaron - Necker
Jason - Necker
Brandee - Necker
Alexander - Necker
Mike - Necker

Gene

I'm really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here. I love his work and would really like to wait for my blades I just hope they come. But two things...

1. People blowing it out of proportion - not at all. It's been 18 months when top end is supposed to be 8... And people not getting refunds or getting a simple email response for months... That just isn't right. Nobody is blowing it out of proportion. At least have the decency to communicate. Not answering emails for over a month is completely unacceptable - especially after making an email account just for the people who gave him money (lots of it) already.

And 2. "Anybody can say whatever they want on the internet"... Kind of like the whole PayPal situation of "he said she said".

I really hope this whole thing gets resolved. I don't want to have to go through some ridiculous process to get my money back if the blades never come.

I made an order with the whole necker deal on Instagram last summer for my partner and while I have had a couple emails replied to it is hard to know exactly when this has all officially gone bottoms up since there is no precise due date on all of this.

It has been really disappointing since I have had my eye on this maker's knives for a while and always thought they looked awesome.

Hi All,

Really bad news guys. I just found out that Gene from Nocturnal knives legally had his name changed to try and get away from any legal repercussions for this. I will not reveal how I found this out so don't ask, anyone that is seeking legal actions should note this.

We have always had our blanks water jet cut. This is nothing new and it's not a secret. The only thing we don't do is cut our blanks with a band saw. Water jet cutting is faster (normally) and enables better lock designs (for folders) and a repeatable tolerance. Everything still has to be made be hand. Everything is still freehand ground without fixtures, every bevel is freehand ground on a blade or handle, every sheath is molded/formed and ground by hand, etc. This isn't a secret. It's been put out that way since we started making knives. Just because something is water jet cut doesn't mean it's even close to being finished right off the machine or not hand made, you could say the same about cutting pieces with a band saw, or not forging your own blanks. We've always tried to keep costs down as low as possible and use better material than everyone else. Instead of sitting at a band saw for hours and being limited to one kind of lock design, or having a lock cut that's an 1/8" wide and weak we water jet cut it.

No one has changed any name to get away with anything. The name on the PayPal account was changed a year ago because of people leaving and new people coming on board. there is nothing holding anyone back from suing Nocturnal if they wish too. All I want to do is get knives or refunds out and that's all we're working towards. You can see from the list above that we're getting refunds out to the folks that requested them. No one person will not get a refund if they requested it. The PayPal situation with Adian above was a unique situation that we've never run into before. A dispute was filed, funds were held, the case was closed, but no funds were transferred to him or back into the PayPal account. PayPal is obviously telling him one thing and telling us something different. Either way we'll get the refund out. If we were trying to scam someone we wouldn't refund one person over $2K but hang on to $262.

I've said this a few times now, but it's still relevant. We've put out a lot of knives in the past four years and always had a good reputation. Sometimes things don't go as planned, but we've done our due diligence to work through it and continue to make progress and solve problems that come up. We could have communicated much much better. Until the problems we had with the folders, everything had always gone according to plan, or had a quick fix that had a good solution. So yes, this situation was very different, and very consuming. We can't say we bit off more than we could chew because we had done the same work load many times before. But, when things started to get off track it definitely became overwhelming. I've put this out many times before and that hasn't changed. I've been as transparent as I can be. Even with time frames on shipping folders. We don't like giving a date that doesn't happen and we've communicated that many times via email, phone calls, etc. We get a date parts will get to us and we pass it on to the customer...then something happens and parts don't get delivered, or there's a problem and that date gets moved. That's not a catch all or an excuse. That's still our responsibility and concern. I don't say that to put blame elsewhere. I've said that to put the information out there, good or bad. That's where we should have communicated better and reached out to each customer instead of waiting for the customer to reach us. That is where it got overwhelming.

As far as money goes, like I said above, anyone that wants a refund will get it, has gotten it, or has received what they ordered. That will continue to happen. If I was running off and hiding somewhere I wouldn't be here, wouldn't be setting up better ways to do things, or wouldn't be making knives or giving refunds at all. I've put my personal life out there and made it public so everyone would know what is going on. I realize the situation, but I didn't expect that to be turned around into something where I'm accused of stealing money, using money to adopt children, etc. That is where the "people can say what they want on the Internet" comment came from. That's overblowing the situation a bit. First of all the adoption was unexpected. We weren't actively seeking an adoption (we really have enough on our plate). Second, it wasn't through an adoption agency, so the folks that suggest "adoptions are expensive," $10000 this and that, don't know what they're talking about. Third, even if it worked out to cost $30,000 I would have found a way to make it happen, from family, or church, or wherever. I would not let the kid go to some state care if I could help it. I'm not trying to save every kid in Ethiopia, but I will help when I can especially if I'm asked to help.

I don't expect to persuade anyone of anything. That's not what this is about. I will continue to issue refunds and complete orders as I have been doing. Once all the refunds are out, or orders are completed that will be all the persuasion necessary. We appreciate everyone that's hung in there, and the folks that have been refunded will get they're order shipped too. Like I said, we just want to get all this done just like everyone else does and that's what we're trying to do.

We have always had our blanks water jet cut. This is nothing new and it's not a secret. The only thing we don't do is cut our blanks with a band saw. Water jet cutting is faster (normally) and enables better lock designs (for folders) and a repeatable tolerance. Everything still has to be made be hand. Everything is still freehand ground without fixtures, every bevel is freehand ground on a blade or handle, every sheath is molded/formed and ground by hand, etc. This isn't a secret. It's been put out that way since we started making knives. Just because something is water jet cut doesn't mean it's even close to being finished right off the machine or not hand made, you could say the same about cutting pieces with a band saw, or not forging your own blanks. We've always tried to keep costs down as low as possible and use better material than everyone else. Instead of sitting at a band saw for hours and being limited to one kind of lock design, or having a lock cut that's an 1/8" wide and weak we water jet cut it.

No one has changed any name to get away with anything. The name on the PayPal account was changed a year ago because of people leaving and new people coming on board. there is nothing holding anyone back from suing Nocturnal if they wish too. All I want to do is get knives or refunds out and that's all we're working towards. You can see from the list above that we're getting refunds out to the folks that requested them. No one person will not get a refund if they requested it. The PayPal situation with Adian above was a unique situation that we've never run into before. A dispute was filed, funds were held, the case was closed, but no funds were transferred to him or back into the PayPal account. PayPal is obviously telling him one thing and telling us something different. Either way we'll get the refund out. If we were trying to scam someone we wouldn't refund one person over $2K but hang on to $262.

I've said this a few times now, but it's still relevant. We've put out a lot of knives in the past four years and always had a good reputation. Sometimes things don't go as planned, but we've done our due diligence to work through it and continue to make progress and solve problems that come up. We could have communicated much much better. Until the problems we had with the folders, everything had always gone according to plan, or had a quick fix that had a good solution. So yes, this situation was very different, and very consuming. We can't say we bit off more than we could chew because we had done the same work load many times before. But, when things started to get off track it definitely became overwhelming. I've put this out many times before and that hasn't changed. I've been as transparent as I can be. Even with time frames on shipping folders. We don't like giving a date that doesn't happen and we've communicated that many times via email, phone calls, etc. We get a date parts will get to us and we pass it on to the customer...then something happens and parts don't get delivered, or there's a problem and that date gets moved. That's not a catch all or an excuse. That's still our responsibility and concern. I don't say that to put blame elsewhere. I've said that to put the information out there, good or bad. That's where we should have communicated better and reached out to each customer instead of waiting for the customer to reach us. That is where it got overwhelming.

As far as money goes, like I said above, anyone that wants a refund will get it, has gotten it, or has received what they ordered. That will continue to happen. If I was running off and hiding somewhere I wouldn't be here, wouldn't be setting up better ways to do things, or wouldn't be making knives or giving refunds at all. I've put my personal life out there and made it public so everyone would know what is going on. I realize the situation, but I didn't expect that to be turned around into something where I'm accused of stealing money, using money to adopt children, etc. That is where the "people can say what they want on the Internet" comment came from. That's overblowing the situation a bit. First of all the adoption was unexpected. We weren't actively seeking an adoption (we really have enough on our plate). Second, it wasn't through an adoption agency, so the folks that suggest "adoptions are expensive," $10000 this and that, don't know what they're talking about. Third, even if it worked out to cost $30,000 I would have found a way to make it happen, from family, or church, or wherever. I would not let the kid go to some state care if I could help it. I'm not trying to save every kid in Ethiopia, but I will help when I can especially if I'm asked to help.

I don't expect to persuade anyone of anything. That's not what this is about. I will continue to issue refunds and complete orders as I have been doing. Once all the refunds are out, or orders are completed that will be all the persuasion necessary. We appreciate everyone that's hung in there, and the folks that have been refunded will get they're order shipped too. Like I said, we just want to get all this done just like everyone else does and that's what we're trying to do.

People in this thread want refunds right now, not a booklet of excuses and tales of your personal life. If you haven't stolen their money and blown it elsewhere then refund it. After the people have what they are due, the community may be more receptive to whatever that long story was. Until then, people just want to get email saying that they have received their money from you.

That was a response. I was asked to respond to the thread and that's what I did. People are getting refunds.

Why don't you respond to emails in a timely manner, and why do you send everyone the same sob email.

That's what you don't understand, for me it's not about the money it's about the principal of the matter. Since May I've bought 6 Busse's (a flying mojo, a Satin Gladius, a Satin Battle Mistress and a one of a kind l, an AK and a SHE) do you think the $262 in itself is important to me? It's about doing what is right

Last edited:
And plus, the only way this came about is because you offered me a 50% discount if I would order again because you jacked up my order before.

So even though I was hesitant, I gave you another shot and we see where it got me

Comparing Nocturnal to another bigger brand isn't realistic. We are in no way the same. We have a long wait for knives and your order was moving along just longer than expected. You got it at 50% off and you'd have got a free knife on top of that that would have gone out with your order (no waiting). Quite a few people have posted on Instagram about the free knives I've already shipped, or the lengths we've gone to to compensate customers for the wait. Again, things don't go right sometimes, but I've always taken care of the customers when an order goes long. Just as in your case, you got hundreds of dollars off of a knife, and because you had to wait longer than I expected you would have got another hundreds of dollars of free stuff. That doesn't make the issue go away or make it a perfect situation, but it shows what we've always been about.

And that's easily checked out. There are many many posts on our Instagram account as well as many of our customers IG accounts showing the level we go to to make our customers happy. We will continue to do that. We'll have the rest of the refunds taken care of soon and even the refund folks will still get what they ordered to compensate for the issues.

Back