Nolen Knives (Texas)

eisman

Gold Member
Anyone know if Nolen Knives is still around? Their website has not been touched since 1999.

I recently picked up one of their drop point hunters and am hoping they can give me some info on it. Nice knife; old school. Bone and walnut with brass guard and spacers.

I 've also sought to have information on the brothers Nolen, but nothing . Knives have twenty years old ...

Apparently the two brothers are deceased and now one of their sons is making knives.

http://www.nolenknives.com/

PS: Google can tell you alot!

Ok thank you to you, in fact the news that I sought not yesterday but rather goes back ten years back, what the family made is good but it does not replace the original, "Nolen brothers "

R.D and George Nolen both passed away in 2010. R.D.'s Son Steve still makes NKs in Colorado. The website is now www.NolenKnives.org but is still under maintenance. There is contact info on the site. The Nolen Knife facebook page is still updated with Steve's work.

I happened upon this site after searching for more information on my grandfather Jimmy Nolen who passed before I was born. I would be happy to hear anything this community has to say about Jimmy or the other Nolen brothers.

Lloyd Nolen and brother's information and CAF website
http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/

RD Nolen Obituary
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/heralddemocrat/obituary.aspx?n=rd-nolen&pid=140535414
George Nolen Obituary
http://obituaries.expressionstributes.com/?m=556f161369&prnt=3

R.D and George Nolen both passed away in 2010. R.D.'s Son Steve still makes NKs in Colorado. The website is now www.NolenKnives.org but is still under maintenance. There is contact info on the site. The Nolen Knife facebook page is still updated with Steve's work.

I happened upon this site after searching for more information on my grandfather Jimmy Nolen who passed before I was born. I would be happy to hear anything this community has to say about Jimmy or the other Nolen brothers.

Lloyd Nolen and brother's information and CAF website
http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/

RD Nolen Obituary
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/heralddemocrat/obituary.aspx?n=rd-nolen&pid=140535414
George Nolen Obituary
http://obituaries.expressionstributes.com/?m=556f161369&prnt=3

I knew both brothers. My dad and I hunted deer in Texas with Jim Nolen back in the early 70's. He was one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met. We invited Jim and his brother Doyle turkey hunting where I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I remember hunting with Jim and Doyle even tho I was very young. They brought gun cases full of knives. I still have a few of the early knives made in the early 70's. They were exceptional knife makers.

Thank you so much for your response bhauer! If you were young in the early seventies and hunting with Jimmy then you may have ran about with my mother Ginger and uncle Danny. My mother has all of our families remaining heirloom knives, I will be sure to share photos of some excellent examples when i see her next. George and RD sent me a buckhorn and leather guthook when i graduated from high school. My closest tie to my grandfather and most prized possession is a modified carbine that he made.

7tKJiM.jpg

JLJLo7.jpg

Last edited:
I recently found and purchased a Texas Gut Hook with Impala Handle from their African series off a very kind man. He said he had ordered the knife directly from my grandfather James Nolen after purchasing another Nolen Knife at a show. He custom ordered a lefty from the African series. He said he received a letter several months later from R.D. Nolen stating that my grandfather had died while making the knife and asked if he would mind if R.D. finished it. My grandmother and mother both remember R.D. visiting the family after Jimmy died and collecting a large number of unfinished knives. I am so lucky to have found one and even luckier that another man parted with it.

This knife is absolutely beautiful.

IMG_2560_zpsnudkrxzf.jpg

IMG_2561_zps3uqw1mpt.jpg

I also recently grabbed my mother's brochure of Nolen Knives. I flipped through it an found a centered picture of BHauer's father on the hunting trip he mentioned! It looks like they are having a great time in "April Snow"... especially John :) They must have had an amazing trip to have added it to their brochure.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/jimmynolensgrandson/embed/slideshow/Nolen%20Knives

I am actively looking for any stories of the men or examples of Nolen Knives, especially those that are known to have been made by Jimmy. Please contact me if you know of one.

Last edited:
WAY long time ago I purchased this (2002?), and then ultimately sold it. But I recall how well made it was.

orig.jpg

Good stuff.

Jim

My Nolans (the one on the left is a belt buckle knife):
(with apologies to Coop for the lousy photos ;))

Nolan 001.jpgNolan.jpg

Last edited:
Yitz: LOL! THe photos are nice and clear. Good enough. GREAT acquisitions.

Do you wear that 'belt buckle' knife in NYC? ;) THAT would go over well... :eek::mad:

Coop

I have a couple of the knives Jim made for the Turkey Track Club. I can try to post some photos on here. Feel free to email me. Bohauer@gmail.com.
I remember hunting in Texas with Jim. And I remember turkey hunting with him in SD. He was one of the most pleasant men I have ever hunted with. I remember he always carried a large impala horn gut hook knife that I coveted. Keep in mind I was in my early teens. But I still keep an eye out for one. I hope to find one some day.

Never knew Jim but RD and George were friends of mine. I have a bunch of RD's knives which I cherish because he played a special role in my life and was a positive influence for my oldest (then an adolescent). I also have lots of stuff that belonged to RD and George that the couldn't take to Texas when they moved there from Estes Park, CO - their 6 wheel Polaris ATV, a chop saw, a large drill press, George's Fisher stereo system, entire collections of both BLADE Magazine and National Geographic magazine, several animal skulls and anther racks. I also have several humorous short stories written about their life and times. George was an excellent writer and a hilarious humorist to boot. RD was an unrepentant Texas redneck and great story teller. There's more to this story but for now I'll let pics of some Nolan knives 'speak.'
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

Last edited:
Steve Nolen still makes knives. Old Family Friend of mine. His brother passed a couple years ago. He sells still on FB and i think though a couple of websites? great blades and great service

Steve Nolen is a nice guy and good maker too. Met him a few times.

This is not about Jim Nolen but more about the family. I got this knife from RD during one of my visits to his shop and home. The tooth was plain - not yet scrimmed. He told me his sister (I’d have to look up her name) had scrimmed pieces for him in the past. We agreed to ask if she’d do this one. She agreed and proposed the Eskimo and totem concept. I wasn’t sure what to expect as she wasn’t asking much for the task. When it arrived I was very pleasantly surprised to say the least. The Nolens were a talented bunch of real authentic and memorable characters!
This is an animated gif image:
orig.gif

Steve Nolen is a nice guy and good maker too. Met him a few times.

This is not about Jim Nolen but more about the family. I got this knife from RD during one of my visits to his shop and home. The tooth was plain - not yet scrimmed. He told me his sister (I’d have to look up her name) had scrimmed pieces for him in the past. We agreed to ask if she’d do this one. She agreed and proposed the Eskimo and totem concept. I wasn’t sure what to expect as she wasn’t asking much for the task. When it arrived I was very pleasantly surprised to say the least. The Nolens were a talented bunch of real authentic and memorable characters!
This is an animated gif image:
orig.gif

That scrimshaw looks great!! Many times, I am turned off my scrimshaw ( I like nautical themes, and I've seen some great native/animal/tribal designs). It can be tough to get right.

That one looks like it is done "right" catches the detail/realism very well!!!

Beautiful knives! Thank you for sharing. Their sister's name was Maryanne I believe and she was somewhat famous, although I cannot remember her story well. I will record it when i visit my mother this summer. Steve Nolen's input would be most welcome as I know he maintains the strongest ties. I hope to connect with him in the future.

I have picked up several new NKs and I think I caught the fever everyone talks about. I am limiting myself to older knives ordered before Jimmy's death in 1980. Maybe then I can support my boys' college AND heirloom knife collection. View media item 6265View media item 6264View media item 6263View media item 6262View media item 6266

That scrimshaw looks great!! Many times, I am turned off my scrimshaw ( I like nautical themes, and I've seen some great native/animal/tribal designs). It can be tough to get right.

My mother did the scrimshaw and carving for her brothers. Her name was Mary Ann "Nolen" Eubank. She passed in 2013. She was a life-long professional artist to took-up scrimshaw and carving pretty much as a dare from Doyle.

Back