Non-Overpriced Aftermarket clips

c7m2p3

Gold Member
First post here so be patient with me. Recently I have been searching around for some aftermarket pocket clip solutions for a few very common brands and models and I am surprised at the seemingly vacant market for decent aftermarket clips that aren't either sculpted or stamped TI. Don't get me wrong, I have a Lynch Northwest clip and I have heard good things regarding Pop's clips; but it seems like there is an abundance of people looking for lower riding clips on a host of common blades and spending 30$ on a custom TI clip for something that could be achieved with a 7$ stamped steel seems like its begging for a budget friendly retailer to get into the game.

Perhaps I have missed something, but its kind of hard to swallow when you drop 150$ on a new blade that you have to turn around and spend 1/5th the cost of the blade to get a deep carry clip.

I am in total agreement. The problem is that it is custom, low production and fixed costs cause the price to be high.

My question is why arent the original clips made as deep carry? What's the downside to them just making clips that come on the knife as deep carry?

Maybe it is true that there is no profit incentive there. Just seems to me that there are plenty of knife manufacturers that already make pretty basic deep carry clips for their knives (ZT/Kershaw, Benchmade, etc) and will send them to you for free or nearly for free. If someone were to get into the game and sell something along the lines of a deep carry BM clip for spydies, ferrum forge/drop knives, and others for 7-10$ each i would figure they would do pretty well. Its a common enough feature that knife owners are looking for but many are just not willing to shell out 30-40$ to get a better carry experience.

You are unable to adapt the Ti Low Rider clip from USA Knife Supply, or the simple steel clips from Jantz Supply?

I looked into the USA Knife Supply and Jantz. Unfortunately it looks like they dont really have any options outside of a two hole mounting option that are side by side. This might work for some of the spyderco models but certainly wouldnt for models where the clip mounts are stacked like Ferrum Forge or ZT blades. Thanks for the suggestion though and I will be sure to keep checking in on those sites.

Steel clips might seem inexpensive but the machinery to stamp them isn't. It's much more reasonable for a small maker to machine the clips.

Deep carry? Not a fan; tends to make the knife harder to get out of my pocket. I much prefer a good sized chunk of the handle right there and easy to index.

Sure, I understand the increased traction and ease of index. I work in an office setting though, and being able to stow my blade away and out of sight in a pocket or jacket is more advantageous than ease of access around certain easily excitable folks. I am sure that the start up cost is pretty tough and I suppose I am not suggesting that some company exclusively produce aftermarket clips. It would probably make more sense for a company that already trades in accessories and thus has the machining or stamping infrastructure already in place to offer this at a lower price than the custom Ti ones. For example, there are plenty of companies offering aftermarket scales for many of these blades. I would love to see a trend of even $10-15 deep carry clips coming from these folks as well.

Sure, I understand the increased traction and ease of index. I work in an office setting though, and being able to stow my blade away and out of sight in a pocket or jacket is more advantageous than ease of access around certain easily excitable folks. I am sure that the start up cost is pretty tough and I suppose I am not suggesting that some company exclusively produce aftermarket clips. It would probably make more sense for a company that already trades in accessories and thus has the machining or stamping infrastructure already in place to offer this at a lower price than the custom Ti ones. For example, there are plenty of companies offering aftermarket scales for many of these blades. I would love to see a trend of even $10-15 deep carry clips coming from these folks as well.
The companies that make aftermarket scales use a CNC mill to make them. Same way they make the aftermarket pocket clips.

The factory steel clips are inexpensive because of the volume they are produced in. Not because of their material or the way they're made.

The companies that make aftermarket scales use a CNC mill to make them. Same way they make the aftermarket pocket clips.

The factory steel clips are inexpensive because of the volume they are produced in. Not because of their material or the way they're made.

Fair enough. I am not entirely familiar with the manufacturing costs and economies of scale insofar as it relates to pocket clips. Just from a user it continues to baffle me that companies such as Civivi are producing entire blades for $45 with good actions, acceptable steel, quality materials, and deep carry pocket clips and currently if you want a deep carry option for some of your older models you have to pay 30$ on a Ti machined clip. Not saying anyone is being taken for a ride or anything just is kind of frustrating for someone looking to carry their favorite blade but has to spend upwards of 1/5 the cost of the $150 knife to do so discreetly.

Hi,
Have you seen this?
Wire clips seem perfect as a DIY or universal pocket clip option
XAZ05FQ.png

Try looking at MXGGear clip's they are pretty decent,they cost 25 bucks however.

MXGGear looks to be of quality and they have a good following. I have one of the casey lynch clips riding on a G-10 Para 3 currently which is very similar in design and price. I was mainly looking to do something similar for my Manix and the ferrum forge Falcon /Laconico Keen without spending another 100$ between the three of them on clips but right now I suppose there isn't a market for anything less expensive.

Casey Lynch's clips tend to be just below or right around $20 and are absolutely top notch quality. His quality plus his warranty makes it well worth the Andrew Jackson.

Back