Noob Question on which Kizer to get

A bit lost and confused here. So after hours of research trying to find a knife that's well made and doesn't cost too much I finally came across the Kizer range, good steel and good action from what I've seen in the videos. A bit torn between either the Vangaurd Dukes or the Ophid.

My main area of dilemma is I have very big hands, the only knife I've been using is my Gordon that has an 11cm handle which is fine as it doesn't have the flipper tip but I can barley get four fingers on it.

Am I just going to frustrate myself getting the Dukes? I do prefer the blade design on the Dukes but can also appreciate the steel used on the Ophid is better and it is slightly larger which would suit my grip better.

The other options would be the Tang or the Sovereign but not a huge fan of the blade look especially the tang but the additional finger placement in front of the flipper tab does look more comfortable.

This would be all well and good if I could actually just go to a shop and give them a try but in South Africa knives are very overpriced and you can really only order them online.

So any advice would be appreciated otherwise I'll need to buy them all and then return the ones I don't like.

I don't have either of those models, but I do have about 8 Kizers... Check out the Intrepid. I have both the G10 and the more expensive Ti version and they are fantastic knives. It's a big knife and I doubt you'd be disappointed if you like the looks of it!

I've posted this pic before but it's the only one I have that might give you an idea of the size differences. Intrepids on the left...

RL8bANV.jpg

Thanks for the replies;) the guy here does have the intrepid in G10 and it doesn't have any recurve in the blade so I'll definitely give it a look over.

I am leaning more towards the S35 steel ones based on what I've read between the VG10, both seem really good and considering it's not a huge price difference I may aswell shell out the bit extra.

One point that does sit in the back of my mind is if I spend too much on a blade I'll be too scared to actually use the thing!! Knives out here are really expensive for some reason, spyderco knives are at least double in price so it is a bit of an "investment" as I don't want to collect them, I don't need another monkey on my back like that;)

One of my favorite Kizers is the Guru. It's a relatively compact knife but still offers a wonderful grip.

I have a Vanguard Dukes and I think you might have a problem with it. Not only is the handle a little short, it's also fairly narrow and not very hand filling.

I can't comment on the Ophid because I've never handled one.

As mentioned above by Matt, the Kane might be a great choice. Also, take a look at the Vanguard Dorado. It may look a little "different" but I've found it great in-hand. Mine is an awesome flipper too.

You were quite correct, received the dukes today and it is a bit too small for my hand.

It's a really nice knife and I like the blade shape but can only get 3 fingers comfortably on it as the as the flipper takes up some extra space but would really like to say it is a well put together knife, I'll agree with all the good points the reviews say. Flipper action was good straight off the bat but I found it wierdly light, I think that's because I'm used to older blades with brass and thicker steel handles.

I did order the ophid and that will arrive on Friday so I'm hopefull it'll fit the bill. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reviews on this blade so I'll put down my personal view compared to the dukes just incase someone runs into the same problem I have.

We don't have too many models available here, in the similar price range with a flipper there's the sovereign, sovereign tang and the intrepid. I'm hoping the bit extra for the ophid will be worthwhile.

Quite pleased with the Ophid, I do have to admit the flipper on the dukes is a bit smoother out the box but I actually think the Ophid after a bit of use will be just as smooth. I'd rather break a knife in than have it become loose after a couple of months.

The blade is great on both but do prefer the thicker ridge on the Ophid as it will stand up to more abuse over time, size wise I could do with a bit of a longer handle but I can still get all four fingers on it and some "jimping" on the blade would be nice but that is something I can do myself, as it's a grey import in south africa I don't have any warranty anyway.

Not too fond of the colour of the handle but that was something I knew when I ordered it and I find the belt clip and ridges in the handle a bit uncomfortable but at the price I got it for I am willing to live with it.

To put it into perspective on the pricing we have to deal with here I got the Ophid for the same price as the Kershaw Link, CRKT M16, Buck 110 Folding Hunter and the spyderco Resilience so considering I got something with S35V steel and a titanium handle I am very happy as we get quite screwed with import costs

I would have to say that I am very impressed with the build quality on both and I imagine the rest of the Kizer range will be just as good and better when going for their more premium knives and I am much happier knowing that the blade steel is decent instead of getting something with AUS8 or 8CR so if anyone didn't want to spend a huge amount of money and wanted a good quality product I would definitely recommend the Ophid

Last edited:
Glad you liked the Ophid. I just realized that I do own an Ophid, it just that when I bought it it was a Ki405!

Keep your eye out for a Vanguard Dorado, something tells me you might really like that one too.

Kizer makes a great knife for the money!

I definitely will, I noticed one thing yesterday while chopping into an old axe handle that the edge of the blade can roll quite easily, I thought I'd hit a nail or something but turned out to be a small section of what I assume is resin (whatever they used to plug up the hole of the mounting point while cutting the axe handle into shape)

I don't see any burns or discoloration on the blade so the heat treatment should have been fine. This is the first S35 blade I have so I can't compare it to anything but I did expect it to be a bit harder and I wasn't even hitting the axe handle hard.

Is this how the s35 steel normally performs or does it need to be resharpen a few times to get down to harder steel?

Ok so i did a bit more testing as this got a bit under my skin, got out a piece of very nice almost knotted wood and started hammering off slices. The blade held up really well, no rolling on the edge and it stayed just as sharp after cutting off 5 pieces and I was not gentle;) now I know if I did this my old 440 blade knife it would have definitely made the blade dull. Did quite a bit of reading and saw quite a few people had complained about the S35 steel. In a way they are right as I would also have expected the blade to be a bit harder but somehow if it's within a certain tolerance of abuse the blade really holds an edge, then there's the whole debate about the S30 steel being more vulnerable to chipping and snapping and that the S35 was designed to be more resilient to this but I suppose they would have to make it more flexible and therefore would be slightly softer.

So it's the trade off you live with, steel that holds an edge really well and doesn't chip easily, it does have some soft properties but this also makes it easier to sharpen, took me 20 min to resharpen the blade and the small rolled edges are gone.

I don't mean to drag this out but feel I must also comment on some of the things I don't like. The g10 handle has very pronounced edges and so does the line locker, used some fine sandpaper on the G10 edges and it's much better to hold now but will in future take it apart and soften the edge on the linelocker and maybe add some small jimping to it and to the rear of the blade by the handle seat.

Awesome knife and very smooth flipper action, even after one day it's softened up a small fraction which makes the blade flip out without any effort and the detente on my copy is very good. Happy with the purchase.

I have the Intrepid Vanguard in black G-10, great knife with incredible action. Their is another knife company that are as well made Real Steel H6 series they have 10 different versions of it. Keep in mind that the
H6 Bluesheep is a liner lock, the rest are framelock. The action is not faster than the Kizer but it is much smoother "like buddah" they are also only a little more than 1/2 the price. If you can get them where you are they are very well made and the action is good on all of them. The only one that had some QC problems was the Titanium S571. If you don't Real Steel where you are the Intrepid Vanguard is a great knife. It needs a couple of tweaks to make it better #1 sand down the edges on the G-10 #2 Enlarge the thumb choil that goes to the liner lock. If you look at the bottom you will see that the G-10 overhangs the steel liner, with a Dremel back to where the liner starts this will give you easier access to the liner lock and make it fun to flick. You will feel a little grittiness when opening and closing, their is nothing wrong with it , the ceramic bearings. I sent it back thinking there was something wrong with it and they sent me a new one in a different color and it makes the same sound. Good Luck

I did have my eye on them and the BöKER cheaper range of knives and almost jumped the gun and got a boker as the pricing seemed decent enough but in a way glad I went for the ophid.

The only other flipper I have is a crkt Eros SS, the small one as it's suitable for my keyring once you remove the pocket clip, the bearing system is so nice on it and that's what made me buy it, walked into a knife shop here and the moment I used it I couldn't put it down even though it was alot more than I'd planned on spending for my keys but I'm pleased I did, even though the tip can't be used for anything.

Once it breaks off I'll reshape it into a tanto type shape.

I just got a brand new mini Dorado. My first Kizer. OMG this thing rocks! M390 frame lock flipper with steel lock insert for under $135, wow! One of the sharpest knives out of the box! Action is amazing! Lockup solid, everything truly amazing! I am blown away by the quality!

Thanks for the replies;) the guy here does have the intrepid in G10 and it doesn't have any recurve in the blade so I'll definitely give it a look over.

I am leaning more towards the S35 steel ones based on what I've read between the VG10, both seem really good and considering it's not a huge price difference I may aswell shell out the bit extra.

One point that does sit in the back of my mind is if I spend too much on a blade I'll be too scared to actually use the thing!! Knives out here are really expensive for some reason, spyderco knives are at least double in price so it is a bit of an "investment" as I don't want to collect them, I don't need another monkey on my back like that;)

There are amazing South African custom knife makers you could probably get an amazing deal on. Look at Bester Front Flipper knife for instance.

I don't have either of those models, but I do have about 8 Kizers... Check out the Intrepid. I have both the G10 and the more expensive Ti version and they are fantastic knives. It's a big knife and I doubt you'd be disappointed if you like the looks of it!

I've posted this pic before but it's the only one I have that might give you an idea of the size differences. Intrepids on the left...

RL8bANV.jpg

Random question here; on your Mini Intrepid, is that the pocket clip that came with the knife? All retailers have a bent, thinner style pocket clip. I have the Ursa Minor and want to get that Mini Intrepid, but only if the clip you have on yours is somehow available. Cheers!

Back