Noob question

Y'all prolly consider it a noob question but if I strip my bk 15 will the logo still be on it?

ive heard yes for older knives no for the newer knives so how do I tell if I got one that the logo will still be there ?

ive heard of people acid etching the logos any one have instructions on hand for that?

I've stripped a few of my laser etched Beckers and the logo seems to be quite visible afterwards. I've never etched them deeper, not because I don't want to but simply because I'm a lazy butthole. JWAW's picture above shows pretty clearly that the logo will remain..

The logo will be visible yes, but as the knife gains a patina and discolor it will get to the point where you can no longer see it. The thing with the older knives is that the logo was physically stamped into the steel. If you want the logos deeper into the knife you can either electro etch it in or use pcb etchant. There are plenty of threads around here about both methods.

You'll know the difference bud. Lasered versions have the logo 'cut' into the coating. Stamped versions have the logo pressed into the steel.

Okay well it's gold and looks like just the paints been removed so I need to etch it any good tutorials out there?

You can chemically or electrically etch the logos. To etch it chemically find some PCB etchant (ferric chloride) and dab it on the logo. Wait a while, then wash it off. Repeat as necessary to get as deep of an etch as you want.

Or, build an electro-etcher. There's a good tutorial here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...r-and-using-electrochemical-etching-on-a-BK12

Wow that's simple the acid etch that is ill have to try it before I strip it as I want it nice and deep

To get it as deep As the electro etch in the video how long would it have to sit?

and o I need to take off what appears to be so kind of gold ink in the logo

Last edited:
No need to mess with the logo. The gold coloring is the metal reacting with the laser etching. Just clean it with some rubbing alcohol and you're good to go.

As for the PCB, I'd just dab it on with a q-tip, wait 20-30 mins, wipe/clean off with some dish soap, and check the results. Keep doing it until you're satisfied with the results.

Electro-etching doesn't get much easier ...

[video=youtube;bV-PItEcLXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV-PItEcLXY[/video]

Hey Larry

I was new too Beckers and I electro etched with a battery charger like shown above. Works niffty :D

No you dont have to "take off any gold ink". Might be just a illusion

I found a cotton ball dipped in the salt water works better and faster than a Q-tip, alot faster, be careful not to over do it. Cotton ball covers the whole bunch of words at once gets a bigger surface area of current flow. I used the cotton ball on a Esee to cover the whole logo at once instead of a q-tip. You can do the whole thing with one cotton ball instead of using 8 or 12 q tips and keep changing them and moving it all the time

Last edited:
Even tho I did that tutorial, electro-etching is super simple and doesn't need a dedicated setup. First time I did it I went with a car/motorcycle battery charger. Takes more time to make the solution and set up the equipment than it does to etch the knife. You can do it with a 9 volt battery, an old (DC) cell phone charger.....just make sure the + (positive) terminal is touching the blade and the - (negative) terminal holds the Q-tip. You can even tape the wire to the blade and wrap bare wire around the Q-tip. Pretty simple, IMO.

Back