Northridge Mod-E / Dust Collection

Here are a few pics of the Mod-E grinder. I am in the process of setting up a dust ventilation system. The Mod-E grinder is solid I have a 2hp baldor motor on it. It tracks perfectly and I'm impressed with it. It's got another piece that attaches to hold another tool arm.
20190822_182013-574x765.jpg 20190822_182107-574x765.jpg 20190822_182013-574x765.jpg 20190822_182019-574x765.jpg 20190822_182013-574x765.jpg 20190822_182107-574x765.jpg 20190822_182117-574x765.jpg 20190822_182019-574x765.jpg

man NRT's grinders are slick. If I ever get another that will probably be it! Thanks for the pics of the MOD-E! That's a nice little grinder for the price.

Did I read right on their website that the MOD-E includes the drive wheel and platen wheels but NOT the tracking wheel?

How much did you end up having into the MOD-E total if you don't mind me asking?

Site says Mod-E :
Includes:
  • Economy Grinder Chassis
  • Hardware
  • 4” drive wheel
  • Flat platen with 2” aluminum wheels
  • 1 Tooling arm
  • Side clamp for the use of 2 arms
Tracking wheel is part of the grinder chassis, and is included.

All you need for the MOD-E is the motor and vfd. It comes with everything else. I just found a good motor cheap on Ebay. And I use 1 vfd for 3 motors.

It doesn't come with a contact wheel. The wheel is $285 extra.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it comes with work a rest either.

Last edited:
yeah sounds like a good entry level option for those that want to get into the knife making world for cheap and just want to flat grind for now. But still, you would def. need a small wheel set & tool arm and probably one of those 2" idler wheels to be a contact wheel.

Good deal though! One of the best I've seen for the price.

what Stacy is asking about is this part... looks like it comes w/ it but just not one you can angle:

i-W4S8vmg.jpg

68949871_2348167628624712_464953200751935488_o.jpg
Just to let anyone interested know it comes with a 4" drive wheel, 2x2 platen wheels, 3" tracking wheel, wheels have spacers between the bearings, comes with the small work rest and an arm clamp on the main arm to clamp a second arm, we are working on a inexpensive rat arm for it, I can post some pics next week, it all is made of 1/4 steel and fits in a flat rate game box shipping in the US should be 25.00 we wanted to finish an assembly video before we released it, we will try to get the video done next week, Thanks Brian

George

At $450 shipped for a grinder package without motor/VFD is darn cheap for sure. Add a Chinese VFD and an Iron Horse motor, but $650 or so you could be grinding. Add a Chinese 12" contact wheel for $72 shipped: https://bit.ly/2TXxQY2

At $450 shipped for a grinder package without motor/VFD is darn cheap for sure. Add a Chinese VFD and an Iron Horse motor, but $650 or so you could be grinding. Add a Chinese 12" contact wheel for $72 shipped: https://bit.ly/2TXxQY2
For the price of Ironhorse motor you could shop Ebay for a Baldor. I've acquired all of my Baldor motors for less than 175$ apiece.

Thanks George,
Good to know. It wasn't stated in any of the info. I couldn't pull up an image of the Mod-E, either.

I agree that it seems to be a robust and expandable package. For the money, I doubt you can beat it.
If I didn't have more grinders than I need, I would use one of these for a dedicated unit for a surface grinder or horizontal unit.

I will point out another advantage to those just getting started:
Get one of the Mod-E packages, a 10" wheel, and buy a 1.5HP 3Ph motor and VFD package.
Set it up and learn how to grind.

Buy/build a small wheel arm and maybe a few other dedicated arms. The 1.5" aluminum stock is cheap, or just order more arms from George.

When ready for more equipment, buy another Mod-E package. Buy another motor and use the one VFD for both (you can't run both at the same time, but you can switch from one to the other).
Use that one for the contact wheel and the other with the flat platen. Or, set one up horizontal and the other vertical.

Maybe later you could add a third grinder/motor to use with a surface grinder arm.

The point is that each upgrade uses all the same tooling, has the same adjustments and tension settings, and only costs about $600 per new setup.

Northridge has plans to become the one stop affordable shop for grinders and accessories. I comment this idea. Down the road, I may try some of their tooling and see how it compares to Bader, Reader, and TW-90.

For the price of Ironhorse motor you could shop Ebay for a Baldor. I've acquired all of my Baldor motors for less than 175$ apiece.
That's true but I've had good success with ironhorse and they have an outstanding 2 yr warranty that I've actually used due to run out in the spindle (for a disc grinder it matters). They let me keep the old one and sent me a brand new one which was perfect.

That being said, I did get a used wash down Baldor motor from ebay for my grinder and it has never let me down, I absolutely love it.

That's true but I've had good success with ironhorse and they have an outstanding 2 yr warranty that I've actually used due to run out in the spindle (for a disc grinder it matters). They let me keep the old one and sent me a brand new one which was perfect.

That being said, I did get a used wash down Baldor motor from ebay for my grinder and it has never let me down, I absolutely love it.
I've never used Ironhorse motors. Might give them a try one day.

Back