Photos NOS 1942 Sager Puget Sound

My friend gave me his 1942 Sager Chemical Axe Puget Sound yesterday that he got from his great uncle many years back.

It’s never been hung or used and still has the stickers and the accompanying tag. I’ve never seen one so blue or with a tag, and I’m really stoked to have this.

I doubt I’ll hang it, will probably gently clean the existing rust and make a cool display for it. Just thought I’d share!

Last edited:
My friend gave me his 1942 Sager Chemical Axe Puget Sound yesterday that he got from his great uncle many years back.

It’s never been hung or used and still has the stickers and the accompanying tag. I’ve never seen one so blue or with a tag, and I’m really stoked to have this.

I doubt I’ll hang it, will probably gently clean the existing rust and make a cool display for it. Just thought I’d share!

x3HRiTa.jpg
N72PKki.jpg
sjQiNNv.jpg

That would be a great friend and a great axe!

x3HRiTa.jpg
N72PKki.jpg
sjQiNNv.jpg
Then comes a call from Mr Operator19xx and the rest is history :)

Just wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

edit
Amazing quality as usual, 1942 and no cut corners in the name of cranking up production for war effort

Last edited:

x3HRiTa.jpg
N72PKki.jpg
sjQiNNv.jpg
I'm almost speechless. That never happens. You sir are a very fortunate man. Spectacular!!

Edit; I've been able to gather my thoughts a little after some deep breathing. Haha. I don't know how much experience you have cleaning axe heads. But yours only needs a very very light touch. Mostly a light oiling with some very gentle rubbing with a scotch brite pad only on the rusty areas. Staying well away from the stickers.
At least that's how I'd do it.
You may already know what you are doing and forgive me if so.
Also would you be willing to take a couple photos looking from the top of the axe? Namely to see the actual cutting edge and how they sent them from the factory. That would be instructive and appreciated. What a beauty...

Last edited:
That is truly amazing and probably is as close to time travel as I will ever come. That is a bit of treasure there! I too would love to see some pics of the top and bottom for reference, if you have the time. And thanks for sharing that here. I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard before typing this.

I'm almost speechless. That never happens. You sir are a very fortunate man. Spectacular!!

Edit; I've been able to gather my thoughts a little after some deep breathing. Haha. I don't know how much experience you have cleaning axe heads. But yours only needs a very very light touch. Mostly a light oiling with some very gentle rubbing with a scotch brite pad only on the rusty areas. Staying well away from the stickers.
At least that's how I'd do it.
You may already know what you are doing and forgive me if so.
Also would you be willing to take a couple photos looking from the top of the axe? Namely to see the actual cutting edge and how they sent them from the factory. That would be instructive and appreciated. What a beauty...

That is truly amazing and probably is as close to time travel as I will ever come. That is a bit of treasure there! I too would love to see some pics of the top and bottom for reference, if you have the time. And thanks for sharing that here. I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard before typing this.

I will definitely take some more pics while I'm cleaning it up. I know the ones I included aren't the best so I'll set up a better lighting rig and take measurements of everything and take pics of all angles. I did measure the bit angle, and it's right at 22.0-22.5 degrees.

Wow! That's nice.
Don't sharpen or hang it. I wouldn't even use scotch brite on the the rust. Just soak it with a little WD-40 and wipe it good with a rag. Stabilize and stop the rust. Keep it as original as possible.

I'm still thinking about how I'm going to do it. There's one spot that I'm mostly concerned about on the one tip of the bit, but everything else seems pretty light.

Incredible to think then that there are still pieces like this out there sitting on peoples shelves. How many more? Extraordinary.

I'm still thinking about how I'm going to do it. There's one spot that I'm mostly concerned about on the one tip of the bit, but everything else seems pretty light.

For this section how about WD-40 and ultra fine steel wool?

That is Sweet !
So I’ve cleaned up a few rusty firearms.
I’ve had great success with this method.
I soak the affected area with a mixture of Atomic Transmission Fluid and kerosene. I let it sit for about a day.
Then I use a smashed and filed to a chisel point brass rifle cartridge. And I gently chip and scrap each and every little speck of rust. If it’s pitted well it’s pitted and maybe cosmetically the spot will look smaller. But simple surface rust will come right off and you will never know it was there. How this works is the brass won’t scratch the blueing.
If a person trys to use some sort of steel wool or even bronze wool. You can actually pick up a pice of rust in the wool and end up scratching the blueing with that little pice of rust trapped in the wool.
Try my method on a small spot the furthest away from the label. See what ya think. Here are my tools. Rifle cartrage and two brass O-Ring picks.

If you plan to keep it for yourself than do to it whatever pleases you. If you think that you might sell it to a collector that I would trust that the collector will know that the tiny bit of rust is a trivial thing and will appreciate that you left it alone. Said collector will undoubtedly have his own ideas about whatever cleaning should be done to the piece.

If you plan to keep it for yourself than do to it whatever pleases you. If you think that you might sell it to a collector that I would trust that the collector will know that the tiny bit of rust is a trivial thing and will appreciate that you left it alone. Said collector will undoubtedly have his own ideas about whatever cleaning should be done to the piece.

Any idea who that type of collector might be?

I agree with this 100%.!!

Back