1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos NOS 1942 Sager Puget Sound

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Homebrewtj, Mar 10, 2019.

1. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    What would you do with it? Hang it for the wall? Use it? Leave it as is? Clean rust leave unhung?

Yankee Josh likes this.
  2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I wasn't asked but I'd make a nice glass front wall mount case for it and just admire the hell out of it. I'd clean it lightly the way I mentioned in my previous post. That axe is just a wonderful, one of a kind, collector piece.
    This is unrelated but i thought I'd share it anyhow. I have a menu from a dinner held in 1932 to commemorate Amelia Earhart's May 21st Atlantic crossing. She was in attendance and signed it! Her husband George Palmer Putnam, who went by Palmer, was also there and the menu has Palmer written on the top in pencil. I doubt this was his menu but that whoever was there wrote it down to remember not to call him George but Palmer. I can post a few pics if any if you are interested in seeing it. It's not at all axe related but it's one of the only things I own that has a similar pedigree of awesomeness so i thought I'd share.

3. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    That's what I would do.

4. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    +1 on that for sure.

KiwiBloke likes this.
  5. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Would hanging it on a lovely old handle take away from it rather then give? I suppose the more you handle (no pun intended) it the more oppurtunity there is for it to get dropped, scratched etc.

6. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    It depends if you want to keep it or sell it. If you want to display it yourself then you might want it hung. But no collector wants your hang. No offense. You could hang it better than anyone on this forum and a collector still doesn't want your hang.

7. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I would sooner get shot than put a haft in that one. It's just too nice. After oiling i wouldn't even handle(i mean hold in my hands) without gloves. In my opinion that is treasure of the finest order.

ithinkverydeeply and Nbrackett like this.
  8. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    I'd haft one and use it if I had unlimited $. As I don't, I won't.

Nbrackett likes this.
  9. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Why does this head have no handle in the first place? Did the manufacturer sell unhung heads? Why would that be a good move for them?

Yankee Josh likes this.
  10. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    You can see from the old catalogues that they sold them with or w/out hafts. They offer that option on every single axe that I've seen. Even the picks, shovels etc. could be purchased without handles. And they would've figured their pricing so that they made money either way.

11. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    In those days logging companies would have been constantly re-handling their axes. And some would want 42" or 44" handles, others, swampers and such would want 36" handles, toppers might want a 30" or less handle. Besides, shipping them unhung was cheaper. Get a crate full of them and put them into service as needed.

Homebrewtj, A17, KiwiBloke and 2 others like this.
  12. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    This style was developed for the PNW logging industry. The Sager's were Warren Axe & Tool top line axe. They were very popular in the industry. Tonight when I have more time I'll try to get up some pics about how this axe was used.

Homebrewtj, A17, Trailsawyer and 4 others like this.
  13. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Please do! And any pics of your Puget Sound axes, past or present :thumbsup:

14. KiwiBloke

KiwiBloke

Oct 2, 2018
    Great explanation, thank you. Please do show your Puget's!

A17 likes this.
  15. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Being in the Puget Sound I have been able to get my hands on some cool PSF axes! Several unique ones and big ones over 13.5”. But I don’t know if we want to muck this thread up with a lot of tangent axe photos... maybe there is already a PSF thread? ...too lazy to look.

Anyway perhaps I’ll post one here that is of particular interest...

This was Larry McPhail’s very fist axe!
    He was so blown away that an axe could be this massive that it sparked his interest in axes.
    This was the axe that got him into collecting axes. It’s a PSF Knot Klipper with an incredible 52.5” handle!!
    [​IMG]
    And an old picture of Larry with a PSF for good measure.
    [​IMG]

16. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

Early Logging Tools, Kevin Johnson.
    [​IMG]

17. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Beautiful.

Trailsawyer, Agent_H and Yankee Josh like this.
  18. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    52+ inches of handle is some big swinging.

19. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    I'm not sure what I would do with that.
    [​IMG]
    A Photo from Early Logging Tools, Kevin Johnson shows a Sager Puget Sound Chemical Axe.
    [​IMG]

This is the only Puget Sound pattern I have, Chemical Axe:
    [​IMG]

Zoom up on the head.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sound.Sager

Trailsawyer, Nbrackett, A17 and 2 others like this.
  20. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I'm still on the lookout for a Puget sound head. I'm waiting for just the right one. I've seen a couple come and go that I really wanted but didn't have the funds.
    They are handsome axes. Look like they mean business!

Trailsawyer, A17 and Agent_H like this.